Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-22-2015, 02:00 PM   #11
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Re: Uncomfortable overnight flats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by momomom View Post
Ok, so padfold the flat in a PUL cover with a doubler and a fleece liner, then put a wool cover over the whole thing. I did that with ds#1 at night to prevent leaks. Worked like a charm for him. With ds#3 it was winter so I put wool longies over the padfold inside a PUl cover.

Wool should keep the body the RIGHT temperature- cool in warm weather and warm in cool weather. So if your baby's skin feels wet and cold after you take off the dipe, 2 things:
1. This is actually better for baby than having warm skin when removing a disposable or PUL cover. Overheating in the genital area, day after day and night after night... not good.
2. Add more warmth. If the cool temp bothers you or baby, add wool longies or fleece pants over the wool cover, have baby sleep in socks, etc. Sleeping in socks really keeps your body warm. I always start out in socks on winter nights, but have to kick them off by 1 or 2 am!

HTH!
with this thought in mind maybe add a cotton or fleece sleepsack. halo has a lightweight poly with feet and I recently added feet to a cotton sleepsack with no feet with success. Maybe being warm overall will help.

When I asked about this I think it was summer which is why I found it confusing, but maybe she was cooler than I realized.

Advertisement

Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:02 PM   #12
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyegon View Post
It's dry against her where the stay dry liner is but up around her hips is wet... Where the flat fold wraps around her hips to be snappied.
GAD semi-fitted. Microfeece inner, hemp outer Pocket fitted. Stuff it w/ your padfolded flat, close w/ snappi/boingo/pin, top w/ cover of your choice. They're not particularly expensive & o pop up used (I saw some on here recently). If you have any crafty skills (I don't really), this would be pretty easy to make--the Rita's Rump pattern w/ stay-dry inner would be a place to start.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:22 PM   #13
mommyegon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thx everyone!!

Tonight I have her in... Grovia shell with bamboo padfolded flat with a hemp doubler and stay dry liner. Then I put her in socks and wool longies...!

I hope the Grovia shell is comfy ... She fell right asleep! So hopefully we finally sleep tonight.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:15 PM   #14
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

I didn't read everything but I suspect you don't need to go as far as eliminating every point of contact between the flat and her skin, just enough to cut the wetness.

When little man got that way I just added a GMD fleece topped hemp doubler on top of the flat and it was fine. Pad folding (with the fold in my tag line) in a thirsties duo or a flip cover was great for nighttime. When he got really soaked I could fit two flats in with that fold and still keep it trim.

If the flat is wet at every point you need more absorbency.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:15 PM   #15
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

Wool is more breathable so it allows evaporation to occur. Evaporation uses up heat thus leaving a cold void behind. I've always found my littles bums to be cold in the am when in a fitted and wool. It's never bothered them enough to wake early. My troubles started when ds1 became a heavy wetter. :/. If the cold is infact waking her up if do like pp said and add a pul cover to the mix
greysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:51 PM   #16
Jcurrie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyegon
Has anyone bought a yard of micro fleece and made a fitted diaper shape to pin to baby underneath a flat? So that no part of the flat is touching baby's skin? I thought that maybe a cheaper route than buying fitteds lined with stay dry material. Any advice would be so appreciated!!
I made a contoured suede cloth liner to go in my DDs night fitteds. It's kind of like a rounded and filled in 'Y' on both ends. She hates being wet and this keeps her comfortable all night.
Jcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:51 PM   #17
mommyegon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Uncomfortable overnight flats?

She did okay last night in a Grovia shell with padfolded flat and hemp doubler plus stay dry liner... And in wool longies.

No leak!

But... She still tossed and turned a bit more than usual.

And the diaper and doubler were saturated totally 12 hours later. Is that okay? Or should it be like 90% saturated?? I guess the wool soaker I was originally using absorbed some of the wetness... Whereas the Grovia shell obviously doesn't... Although the longies should grab any leakage. Hmmm.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:08 PM   #18
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Is she still nursing at night? If she's already a bit of a heavy wetter, it could become overwhelming when you add the nighttime fluid intake...or she's a nighttime super-soaker; some kids just are. But I don't think saturating a single bamboo flat w/ a hemp doubler over 12hrs is unreasonable. Mine aren't super heavy wetters & they wet through but don't saturate a hemp flat w/ a hemp doubler during a 2.5hr nap.

I would assume when you were using just the wool, some of the wetness was evaporating...the GroVia cover doesn't facilitate that.