Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-24-2015, 09:36 PM   #1
brieMarcell
Registered Users

Looking for diapers for a struggling family

Hello. I saw on pinterest that there is a "Free for Shipping" thread somewhere. I am looking for that thread. We are a struggling family who can hardly afford to pay to feed our two children. Thankfully, my 10 month old is still primarily nursing. But I am looking for anyone who might be willing to donate any cloth diapers and/or anything else you can for our 10 month old daughter. Right now, we were gifted some pampers diapers, but we are slowly running out of those. I really really hate being the one to ask for things, as before I had children, I was always the one to help other families/people in need. I am trying to do everything I can for my two children. My older who will be five on the 15th.

Anyway, anything helps.
Please and a very gracious thank you to all those who are able and willing.

Advertisement

brieMarcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:40 PM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Looking for diapers for a struggling family

Receiving blankets make great diaper flats. Old cotton t-shirts are also good as diapers. Some cut them. I just folded the arms in and used it as is. More fabric meant more absorption. Know this from experience when we had a small baby and no diapers. Used Gerber plastic covers. Cheaper than paying shipping costs to have diapers shipped to you. I had a 3 month old and and a 4 year old.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:49 PM   #3
chula198705
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
Receiving blankets make great diaper flats. Old cotton t-shirts are also good as diapers. Some cut them. I just folded the arms in and used it as is. More fabric meant more absorption. Know this from experience when we had a small baby and no diapers. Used Gerber plastic covers. Cheaper than paying shipping costs to have diapers shipped to you. I had a 3 month old and and a 4 year old.
I tried the t-shirt idea simply out of curiosity and I was surprised how well it worked! Pretty much anything made out of cotton works as a diaper.
chula198705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:56 PM   #4
Krisi83
Registered Users

Doesn't look like there's too much action on it but you can find that thread by scrolling way down in the big list of forums to The FSOT, it's the first thread listed there, FFS free for shipping.

I'm so sorry you're in a rough patch! Maybe keep an eye on Craigslist for deals? Everyone seems to say that if you or anyone you know can sew, the cheapest option out there is to sew two or three "soaker" diaper covers out of good quality thrift store wool sweaters-- wool is water repellent and will keep leaks in as long as you have lots of absorbency underneath. For the underneath absorbency, you'll have to figure out something to pin or Snappi around the baby, it sounds like you can buy flats (basic large fabric squares to fold up and wrap around baby) for really cheap, or make your own out of just about anything.

I'm just learning, too, and the price of diapering can be totally intimidating, but it really seems doable in just about any price range if you're willing to spend a little time learning how to do it and use old-fashioned options.

Good luck mama, praying for you, sounds like you're a great mom to your babies. Maybe if you put out there what city you're in local mamas would have some ideas of resources that could help you.
Krisi83 is offline   Reply With Quote