Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-22-2018, 12:59 PM   #1
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
So your kid has a stomach bug...

I thought we could create a thread of advice for those dealing with the dreaded stomach bug.

This is just mom to mom information that might be helpful. We are not doctors. You should always contact your doctor if you are concerned.

Advertisement

Old 01-22-2018, 01:08 PM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: So your kid has a stomach bug...

Always have a puke bucket or bowl nearby! Sometimes they just can't make it anywhere and that will save some scrubbing or laundry. Hopefully, anyway.

We used to do sprite but now we do Gatorade or powerade--it's just easier because we always have some on hand for DH for work, plus the kids tolerate it better. No guzzling, but we do try to keep them hydrated.

Only bland foods in small amounts at first. Usually a piece of toast or a few crackers. Once they are tolerated we move on gradually...oatmeal, bananas, etc seem like good choices. Absolutely no dairy products until completely well.

Lots of rest, no running around or mingling with everyone else. Usually they feel lousy so they don't fight this.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:18 PM   #3
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

We use the 100% grape juice + activated charcoal method, and we’ve been happy with the results. Elderberry tea seams to help some. We also squeeze in some probiotics.

Plus, we do what Jen suggested. I usually keep diaper flats near the babies. They seem to turn their heads away from bowls.

Yikes. I’m scared. We got the bad 2-3 week chest cold over with, with DH ending up with bronchitis. We hibernated, I was so afraid of my Little’s spreading their sick germs, especially to the elderly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2018, 01:20 PM   #4
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Diaper flats is a good idea. Both times DS puked today I had no warning. I have no idea how I'd get him to direct his puke somewhere. Tips?

Also...does puke ruin things like clothes? It's pretty acidic right? But it washes out ok?
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:24 PM   #5
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

I spray off all puked on clothing in a the toilet. A perk of the diaper sprayer. We’ll be keeping ours when our diaper days are over.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:01 PM   #6
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

We haven't had trouble with puke stains. I sort of...flap? what I can off outside. If there's much of anything left I hose it. It usually gets washed immediately.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:43 PM   #7
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

My kids get dehydrated fast so I follow the following protocol provided by insurances online call:

-Wait one full hour after throwing up incident.
-Feed 1 tsp. to 1 Tbsp water (depending on size of kid) or clear fluid every 15 minutes.
-If there is another episode you wait an hour again.
-Once they keep the fluid down for a few hours you start doubling the amount of fluids.
Afterwards we follow with the usual bland diet. Rice, instant mashed made with water, dry toast.
I've done warm ginger tea too.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:58 PM   #8
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

^^We have a lot more success holding down liquid with a little sweetness vs water at our house. I love water but it is definitely not my first choice when I'm nauseous.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:29 PM   #9
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
^^We have a lot more success holding down liquid with a little sweetness vs water at our house. I love water but it is definitely not my first choice when I'm nauseous.
Sweetness supposedly doesn't trigger the gag reflex as easily. I found we did better with warm or room temperature liquid as opposed to cold.

I can't stomach anything but water when I have a bug.

We also have a real ginger ale that we let defizz. That's been effective for nausea.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:21 PM   #10
mamaberkhie
Registered Users
Formerly: 3L*****B*****s
seller
seller

I think what we do what has already been said. We use Zofran for my son with diabetes so we always have that on hand when needed.

My 3 year old caught the stomach bug the same day my washing machine quit What a nightmare. It seems like they get sick overnight when it’s harder to catch. We use lots of towels and they sleep on a cot near us so we can keep an ear out.

Last edited by mamaberkhie; 01-22-2018 at 10:23 PM.
mamaberkhie is offline   Reply With Quote