Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #131
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by robyn_h
I recently got a .22 pistol and it is so much fun! We want a ruger 10/22 so we will need the ammo for sure! We are in GA and I don't know what the deal is with the .22LR shortage. And we have no idea what will happen with the shortage or prices when the last primary lead smelting plant shutsdown. I hope we don't see any noticeable affects :/
Me too.
We have been pretty lucky... so far.

Advertisement

Numommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #132
crnchy_mama_lala
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numommy
Woohoo!!
DH bought me a generator today!!
I have no one IRL that will "get" me being excited!!
Awesome! I have dreams of a solar generator and wood burning furnace. <3
crnchy_mama_lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #133
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crnchy_mama_lala

Awesome! I have dreams of a solar generator and wood burning furnace. <3
Ours is a gas i think, but DH is not on board w this stuff, so to me, he did GREAT kwim?
Old 11-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #134
robyn_h
Registered Users

My Mood:
I want a generator so bad! At least we have a wood burning fireplace in the house
robyn_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #135
crnchy_mama_lala
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numommy

Ours is a gas i think, but DH is not on board w this stuff, so to me, he did GREAT kwim?
Definitely! I would be happy with any generator, but its not in our budget right now. I found a pressure canner at GoodWill the other day and that was exciting for me. I'm looking at recipes and planning to try my hand at canning for food storage because everything we have right now is in the freezer and we don't have a generator so it would go bad pretty quickly if anything happened to the power.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #136
crnchy_mama_lala
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by robyn_h
I want a generator so bad! At least we have a wood burning fireplace in the house
That's us too. We have a small stockpile of wood and I got an ax since we live right next to the woods. That's our current plan for heat if anything were to happen.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #137
crnchy_mama_lala
Registered Users
seller

I have a question for you mamas who have experience with firearms. I've had lessons with a shotgun and been skeet shooting, but I have pretty much no experience with a handgun and am interested in going to the local shooting range to learn. What's a good gun for a beginner?
Old 11-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #138
robyn_h
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crnchy_mama_lala
I have a question for you mamas who have experience with firearms. I've had lessons with a shotgun and been skeet shooting, but I have pretty much no experience with a handgun and am interested in going to the local shooting range to learn. What's a good gun for a beginner?
I recommend taking a safety class on handguns! Our local PD teaches one geared toward handguns. I haven't taken it yet, but I have heard it is very informative even for experienced shooters. For a beginner, I personally wouldn't recommend a subcompact or pocket sized gun. That could be because I personally don't prefer them, but I just find compact or full sized guns easier to shoot. I love my walther p22. I think it is an excellent beginner handgun. I think a lot of women start out with a 9mm or .380 caliber. They aren't too bad with kickback. Honestly, with practice and proper technique you could probably learn to feel comfortable with any caliber, so don't psych yourself out many ranges will let you rent guns to practice with. That would probably give you a great idea of what you feel comfortable with. When you decide to buy, also consider whether you plan to concealed carry or not.
robyn_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #139
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I will write more later but definitely a class, or teo even.

I target shoot with a .22lr. I like a revolver for the ease of use.

I cannot rack semi automatics w my weak hands.

A .22 caliber is not recommended as powerful enough for self defense, though. You will get varying opinions on this.

I want a 9mm revolver personally. However they are expensive.

I wouldn't "marry" any one thing until you have tried and practiced w different types.

But the universal best first target gun seems to be the .22 LR with a 4-6 inch barrel.