Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2007, 11:52 AM   #1
Zan's Avatar
Registered Users
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,473
My Mood:
Thinking about changing dr/midwife

So I didn't post about my last appt - last Monday, mostly because I've been upset about it all week and didn't want to 'rehash' the feelings again. It wasn't a horrible visit but it wasn't great either. The midwife called me back after to follow up on a question I had about a possible level 2 u/s because of medication I was on when we conceived little bean. I decided that I'd tell her of my disappointment with how the appt went and she was very defensive and I was so taken back. At the end of the phone call she asked me if I was planning to continue care with the practice b/c she didn't want to go anyone to go through any unnecessary scheduling/planning (b/c a level 2 u/s was suggested when she checked with the specialist). I responded back as what did I say that would make her ask such question. She said she was just asking the question and wanted a yes/no answer. I was so shocked and upset but didn't want to say no I'm not going to stick with her/practice because I would've been reacting rather than thinking it through....etc. Anyways, it wasn't a good thing.

So I talked it through with DH and decided that I would continue my next visit there (they have 3 or 4 midwifes and they work on call for births) and just be hyper critical about how I was treated and felt the appt went(it's with a different midwife) Besides, the level 2 ultrasound is being set up as a referral and I don't want to interfere with that b/c I really do want to have a level 2 to ease some concerns and feel more comfortable about the baby's condition. Well, since it's a referral she said that the place should call me within the week and if I hadn't heard from them that I should call her. Well, it's been a week, so I called the office today. The receptionist said that she would take the message but they won't be able to get back to me today b/c they the nurses are shortstaffed today. I asked if the midwife I saw last week was in the office today and she said yes and then asked if it was urgent, and I said that I was told by her to contact her if I hadn't heard back in 1week and that I didn't think she would've said that if it wasn't important. She said that she'll leave the message with a nurse.

So now, I'm feeling even more frustrated and upset about the whole situation and think that I should just find another midwife. The biggest thing that frustrates me is that this is the only practice that is fesible to where we live that offers hopsital water births- and the really only reason I choosed to go to this practice. So if I leave and find another midwife, I can't have a water birth- We can't have one at our place (it's a long personal story I'd rather not discuss why)

Have any of you switched dr/midwife during the pregnancy to find someone you felt more comfortable with? How did your insurance handle the whole billing? I did actually switch OBs w/my DD pregnancy but our insurance had changed at the time so it wasn't a billing problem for us.


SAHM to 4 children 3 and under

Zan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:00 PM   #2
Prettylocks's Avatar
Registered Users
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,324
Re: Thinking about changing dr/midwife

I switched OBs around 7 months with DS #1 and switched from an OB to a midwife at about 7 months with DS #2. No biggie. I think they do a global fee for pregnancy/delivery, so they just break it up by trimester or something. Check with your insurance.
I would try to stay with that group of midwives where you can get your waterbirth. Maybe just talk to the director about your concerns with the one MW.
Cristina- Mama to a bunch of super kids!
Prettylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:39 PM   #3
Registered Users
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,821
My Mood:
Re: Thinking about changing dr/midwife

We changed docs when I was 30 weeks and I couldn't have been happier!

Our change was the result of DH's job change so I can't speak to insurance and such, but I will say that if you aren't happy with the care and treatment, do what you have to do to be happy!
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:55 PM   #4
Registered Users
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southern IL-near STL
Posts: 5,408
My Mood:
Re: Thinking about changing dr/midwife

not by choice but a MUST when I went into labor with ds and they had to transfer me to a hospital with a high risk dr and a NICU.
that was when I was alittle over 33weeks had ds at 34
mom to 2 boys 2005 and 2007
LuAnn is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC. All Rights Reserved.