Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #41
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Re: I don't think anything is wrong, but...

that's only 12 1/2 hrs of sleep, totally normal to me. my 2 yr old takes a 1 1/2 hr nap and sleeps maybe from 10:30pm-730 or 8:30 am

Advertisement

Old 08-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #42
alyssa&rylan's-mommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

It sounds right to me! My DD (5 in two weeks) still naps occasionally and always has quiet time, and my 3.5yo still naps daily from 1:30-3:30 or so, is in bed about 8-8:30 and up at about 7am.
alyssa&rylan's-mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #43
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

My kids both stopped napping when they were young. DS was about 1.5 when he stopped. DD napped until she was 2.5. But it's totally normal for kids that age to take a 2 hr nap!
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #44
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sounds normal to me! DS1 doesn't usually nap, but DS2 and DS3 nap from 2-430ish and then sleep from 7/8pm-8am
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #45
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ds at 4 1/2 still naps at home most days. He doesn't nap much at daycare and it shows in his attitude at night. He sleeps 10-12 hours at night too. He just really needs a lot of sleep to be a happy kid. He's the only 4 yo I know who still naps (we are home all summer and he napped everyday). He's actually asleep right now because he was so tired after school he was a mess, and we are going to have to keep him up late for a meeting tonight so we had him take a nap so he can cope.

ETA: most days his naps are 1-2 hours but it's pretty normal for a nap on Saturday during the school year (where he hasn't napped much at daycare) to be 3-4 hours long so he can catch up.

Last edited by slimy72; 08-28-2012 at 05:02 PM.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #46
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My almost 3 year old takes 3-4 hour naps most days (sometimes not on weekends, if we're out and about he can skip it and be ok, but goes to bed early) and sleeps about 10 hours at night.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #47
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Those are some really odd comments. First she says they must not sleep well, then when she finds out they do, she says they sleep too much? I'd be very happy if mine slept that well!
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #48
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever View Post
You are doing exactly the right thing for your boys I have noticed many people encourage sleep deprivation because they do not realize how much sleep growing bodies and brains need. My children have all napped until at least 5.
This. I kind of think too many parents give up on naps too early for their kids. "they won't sleep!" "I can't get him/her to nap!" etc.

We've definitely had our struggles with naps from time to time, but I really put my foot down when it comes to naps, and my kids know it is non-negotiable in our house.

I now have 3 LOs.

My 4 and 5.5 yr old still nap about 2 hrs per day (EVERY day) AND sleep all night from 9pm-8am every night.

My 17 mo old still takes 2 naps everyday, one from about 10am-12pm, and another from about 2-4pm. She also sleeps (usually all night without waking) from 8pm-8am.

In the event that my kids don't get a nap, I can really tell. They are irritable and crabby, they whine - a LOT!! - and they are completely unreasonable and obstinate. On those rare days, they go to bed between 6:30-7pm.

I often see difficult children and wonder if they would be different if their parents really pushed the naps.

In the end, every family is different, so we just do what's best for ours, and know that everyone else is doing what they think is best for theirs!

Last edited by Kiliki; 08-29-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #49
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

It sounds fine to me. DD1 is almost 5, and needs a solid 12 hours at night, or she is MISERABLE. She doesn't nap anymore, but she's older than your boys and the amount of sleep is similar.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:49 AM   #50
coquelicot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
It sounds fine to me. DD1 is almost 5, and needs a solid 12 hours at night, or she is MISERABLE. She doesn't nap anymore, but she's older than your boys and the amount of sleep is similar.
This is a little scary to me--not that I doubt your child's need for that much sleep, but because what it means here if my DD also needs that much at that age. If we send DD to public school for kindergarten and she needs 12 hours of sleep per night because she's given up napping, I'll have to put her to bed at 5 pm! Elementary schools start at 7:10 am here, and the bus comes just after 6 am. If I took her to school, I'd still have to leave by 6:30 to avoid an insane car line. Praying she's still willing to nap at least a little bit so I can push back bedtime after 7 pm! Or praying that we can afford private school!
coquelicot is offline   Reply With Quote