Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-23-2008, 08:50 AM   #31
earthmamastyle
Registered Users
Formerly: barbaramommyof2
seller

My Mood:
Re: NOT CIRCUMCISING positive advice??

I wonder whast other bad advice he has given me in the past! I know what to do with a vagina. But my DH is circumcised and I had no idea what to do. When I researched it I only came up with the pros and cons to circ. not how to clean it. I ignored most of the pulling it back and cleaning it when he gets older because my dad is not circ. and he told me what to do. But he also had no idea of what to do with the forskin and my dads mom passed away. WE really should be able to trust our PEDs this is ridiculous! What does the infections look like. I hope I didn't cause him to get one in the future!?

Advertisement

earthmamastyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:51 AM   #32
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippydippymama View Post
]

I wouldn't doubt this one bit, cuz lots of cosmetic and pharmaceutical companies are eager to buy all those foreskins. Just like I also don't doubt that docs give out horrible BFing advice to get kickbacks from formula companies.

Yeah, I had started to go off on a tangent about the cosmetic companies buying foreskins from hospitals...but then I didn't want to get started on that rant. Money talks. Sadly, if there was no money to be made from this, I doubt it would be offered/pushed by some docs.

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:52 AM   #33
rlr10200
Registered Users

My Mood:

I did think (until just now) you were supposed to clean underneath around 3 or 4 when it retracts on its own. I was doing this to poor ds1 and he always complained that it hurt!!! Now I feel awful. I shouldnt have been doing that, huh? How would I know if Ive caused any damage?? So, Im not touching his thing ever again!! LOL!
Old 10-23-2008, 09:28 AM   #34
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaramommyof2 View Post
you gotta be kidding me!!!
Sadly, it's true. Foreskins are big $$$ in the US - for pharmaceutical/research companies, cosmetic companies and for doctors themselves. A doctor can make up to $12,000/yr JUST from cutting little boys. It's sickening.

http://www.foreskin.org/f4sale.htm
http://www.alternet.org/environment/47421/
http://www.norm-uk.org/where_do_foreskins_go.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlr10200 View Post
I did think (until just now) you were supposed to clean underneath around 3 or 4 when it retracts on its own. I was doing this to poor ds1 and he always complained that it hurt!!! Now I feel awful. I shouldnt have been doing that, huh? How would I know if Ive caused any damage?? So, Im not touching his thing ever again!! LOL!
Has your son had any infections? If you stop now, he should be fine. Forcibly retracting the foreskin causes a build up of scar tissue, causes infections and other issues - and is the #1 reason why so many boys in America "need" to be circ'ed when they are older.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:50 AM   #35
earthmamastyle
Registered Users
Formerly: barbaramommyof2
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raelynn View Post
Sadly, it's true. Foreskins are big $$$ in the US - for pharmaceutical/research companies, cosmetic companies and for doctors themselves. A doctor can make up to $12,000/yr JUST from cutting little boys. It's sickening.

Has your son had any infections? If you stop now, he should be fine. Forcibly retracting the foreskin causes a build up of scar tissue, causes infections and other issues - and is the #1 reason why so many boys in America "need" to be circ'ed when they are older.
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
earthmamastyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:59 AM   #36
mbsr76
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie K View Post
Talking to him would still be good so he knows for his other patients.
I'm not disagreeing with that. What I meant by my comment was "Don't just talk to him, FIRE him!" I didn't mean that she shouldn't tell him what the problem was or that his information is dreadfully wrong and antiquated.
mbsr76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:34 AM   #37
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

Your doctor's advice has made me so sad. No wonder we hear of all of these "necessary" circumcisions here that the worldwide stats do not support.

I'm so SO glad you asked your question here so that you now have better information.

When your son is able and cares to fully retract himself on his own, you can just tell him to do so and swish it around in the bath.

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:19 PM   #38
amyruth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would definitely NOT be using him anymore but please give hime the AAP article and then tell him you will be finding a better informed pediatrician to care for your child. That is just terrible. I just kinda went through something similar but they pulled his foreskin back a bit to catheterize him the other day. The nurses did it and it wasn't our regular doctor. But now his is sore and puffy. I will talk to them when I go back in about it to see if there was a better way to do it.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:45 PM   #39
rlr10200
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raelynn View Post

No infections. And I did wait until it retracted without forcing it. I never touched it unitl he was 3.5 and tried once to retract to see if it would and it did so I started doing it to clean....its never anything forceful but I will stop doing it anyway.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:07 PM   #40
MamaToBe84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyruth View Post
I would definitely NOT be using him anymore but please give hime the AAP article and then tell him you will be finding a better informed pediatrician to care for your child. That is just terrible. I just kinda went through something similar but they pulled his foreskin back a bit to catheterize him the other day. The nurses did it and it wasn't our regular doctor. But now his is sore and puffy. I will talk to them when I go back in about it to see if there was a better way to do it.
From what I've heard, even catheterizing doesnt need retraction!

To the OP: Im very gld you asked here for advice! I hope your son is doing good, and that you got the correct information sooner rather than later And Good for you for keeping your little boy intact!

As for mine, hes 7 months old and ive never done anything to it. It will sometimes get a tiny bit red on the end, but I think that happens even if they're circ'd, from being in a wet diaper. And think of it this way--- whn yuoir son is a teen and in the shower,i can almost GUARANTEE you that his peni$ will be the LAST thing you have to worry about him washing lol