Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-23-2008, 10:25 PM   #41
earthmamastyle
Registered Users
Formerly: barbaramommyof2
seller

My Mood:
Re: NOT CIRCUMCISING positive advice??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaToBe84 View Post
And think of it this way--- whn yuoir son is a teen and in the shower,i can almost GUARANTEE you that his peni$ will be the LAST thing you have to worry about him washing lol
Good point!! Oh that is so funny! But I don't wanna think of my LO doing that

Advertisement

earthmamastyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:26 PM   #42
TieNappyQueen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaToBe84 View Post
From what I've heard, even catheterizing doesnt need retraction!

To the OP: Im very gld you asked here for advice! I hope your son is doing good, and that you got the correct information sooner rather than later And Good for you for keeping your little boy intact!

As for mine, hes 7 months old and ive never done anything to it. It will sometimes get a tiny bit red on the end, but I think that happens even if they're circ'd, from being in a wet diaper. And think of it this way--- whn yuoir son is a teen and in the shower,i can almost GUARANTEE you that his peni$ will be the LAST thing you have to worry about him washing lol
I love you girl!
Old 10-23-2008, 10:35 PM   #43
dipeters77
Registered Users
seller

Yep - I agree with everyone else. Our pediatrican said NOT to pull the forskin. It will naturally start to retract on its own starting anywhere from 2 years old all the way up to early adolescence. My DS is 3.5 years old and it retracts about halfway. At his checkups his Dr. would check to see if it would retract but he never forced it. It's not until it's fully retractable that cleaning will even be an issue.

Oh - and don't be too shocked if you ever see a "lump". I raced my DS to the Dr. not knowing what it was and freaked out. I was embarrased when our ped told me it was just smegma (don't you love that word?) which is just the protective coating inside of the forskin. It sometimes builds up and will just come out a tiny bit at a time on its own. It was really no big deal at all and we seriously barely noticed.

Other than that - we've had no problems whatsoever. : )
dipeters77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:57 AM   #44
earthmamastyle
Registered Users
Formerly: barbaramommyof2
seller

My Mood:

OK mama's I called the doc yest. because i am still so mad and worried about my LO's poor penis. I talked to the doc personally, this is what he said.
He said that if you don't pull the forskin back a little each time you change there diaper that it will make it harder for them when they grow up to pull it back. I told him that I was worried about scar tissue forming and that I wish I hadn't pulled it back at all. That at the tip of his poor pnis it does look a little lets say distressed. He told me it was my choice and I told him that I had some articles to show him. ( because I do like him in other areas I guess. He seems like a nice caring ped. and I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt.) BUt he told me that in reference to the articles, anyone can post something on the interent and that it doesn't prove anything to him. His medical schooling is proof enough. So mama's I am going to follow my gut and that is to NOT pull it back in any way! Thank God for you mama's. I guess my first sign to me that it wasn't right to pull it back, was when I noticed that there was not a penis poking through but bright red raw tissue. Poor little guy. I am not really thrilled with my docs closed mind so I think I will be changing peds after talking to him. So that is my experience and I pray that my LO will not have any probelms in the future. from possible scar tissue that may have formed from my 5 weeks of every other day slightly pulling back of his forskin! Thanks again!!
earthmamastyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:24 AM   #45
Starr5678
Registered Users
seller

Re: NOT CIRCUMCISING positive advice?? UPDATE!!

My DS isn't circ'ed. I typically do not pull the foreskin back. If DS gets some poop on his penis, I *very* gently pull it back only as far as it will naturally go. I don't force it at all. My bro was not circ'ed, my mom never pulled his back to clean and he doesn't have any problems. My mom said that my bro loosened his own foreskin just by playing with his own penis when he was potty training. My DS is doing the same, and I have noticed that it is loosening up on its own.

I think you should follow your gut, absolutely, mama!! Medical textbooks are not 100% applicable to every individual in every situation, so take it as guidance but not gospel, especially if your sub-conscience is questioning. As for the ped, is he uncirc'ed? Are his sons? Does he have any first-hand knowledge of uncirc'ed boys or is it all just taught from his textbook?

Our first ped tried to give me BF'ing advice - it turned out to be bad advice that I regretted. It later came out that he had zero experience with BF'ing - he'd never even seen a woman BF! He'd only ever read about. So, I now take these things with a grain of salt.

I think your own intuition will serve you well. You're there in the trenches of motherhood, and you know your son better than anyone right now, so your own impression of the situation IS valuable.
Starr5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:31 AM   #46
hippydippymama
Registered Users
seller

Your doc is full of bull honkey. The foreskin is NOT SUPPOSED TO RETRACT until the kid is older anyway! It will do just fine on its own. DH is intact and trust me, his foreskin retracts perfectly. I'm sure your LO will be okay, the important thing is that now you know better and will stop!
hippydippymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:19 PM   #47
ShyDaisi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I understand that a doctor would be wary of just anything pulled off the internet, but the American Academy of Pediatrics advises against forcible retraction for goodness sakes!! If he can't even follow the recommendations of his own organization, then maybe you should find another doctor.

The AAP even gives 18 years as the approximate time that most boys will be able to retract their penis naturally. Of course, it can and does in a lot of boys happen sooner than that.

I am so exasperated at the medical profession. How are we supposed to trust their advice and expertise if they can't even get the simple things such as the care of a penis and breastfeeding right?? Not that I do trust their advice and expertise, but they expect us too....Grrrr.

Rant over.

Last edited by ShyDaisi; 10-24-2008 at 12:20 PM. Reason: "forcible retraction"
ShyDaisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:20 PM   #48
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He's simply uneducated. Hopefully he can read your information and that will help him not harm someone else's child.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:00 PM   #49
mommyz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm glad you're sticking with your gut and leaving his penis alone. Too bad the DR wasn't more understanding. Good luck to the both of you!

**PLZ EMAIL ME IF YOU NEED ME!**
mommyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:10 PM   #50
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree that "anyone" can print out information on the internet, however, I think you need to give him a copy of the AAPs intact care guidelines, which do state to never forcibly retract. If your doctor argues that gently pushing it back is not forcibly retracting, I've added the second link for that argument.

http://www.cirp.org/library/normal/aap1999/

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=575627