Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2017, 08:21 PM   #1
jessicacarol
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Back to breast help!

Due to transfer issues I began pumping and supplementing with breast milk in bottles. My son loved the bottle and gave up the breast after 1 week. I FINALLY got him to latch and begin nursing again at just before 4 months old. I think he finally grew into my giant nipple size. Anyways, been nursing almost exclusively for 1.5 weeks now. I have a scale and weigh him before and after and it's telling me he's only taking 2-3oz per feeding when he was taking 5-6 oz out of the bottle. He seems hungry more often but usually just falls asleep at the breast after nursing 10-15 mins. He used to sleep through the night but now wants to nurse all night long. So- my question is what can I do to get him to take more in a feeding instead of snacking all day and night. Beginning to feel like pumping was easier!!

Advertisement

Old 01-03-2017, 09:54 PM   #2
Dani303
Registered Users
seller

Re: Back to breast help!

I'm not an expert by any means, but if it makes you feel better my 3 1/2 breastfed baby only takes 2-3 oz at a time too and usually feeds 3x a night. My first baby had latch issues too and I pumped for 3 months then ended up switching to formula, so this is a new journey for me too. My bottle fed baby also ate more at a time and slept through the night around 3 months...

Breast is cozy so it's easier for them to fall asleep while eating. Sometimes I tickle her little belly softly, rub her head, or burp her, to keep her awake and eating. You can also change diaper in between to wake them up, then offer 2nd breast. Maybe that can encourage him to eat more before falling asleep. Perhaps you may have a bit of the 4 month sleep regression going on at the same time too? My little one also likes to comfort suck in the night, so if it's only been a short time since the last feed I offer a pacifier instead and she passes right back out. Good luck!
Dani303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:28 PM   #3
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani303 View Post
Perhaps you may have a bit of the 4 month sleep regression going on at the same time too? My little one also likes to comfort suck in the night, so if it's only been a short time since the last feed I offer a pacifier instead and she passes right back out. Good luck!
Also not an expert, but we've been breastfeeding the whole way with only a bottle here and there and we just got through about 3-4 weeks of him wanting to nurse every 1-2 hrs at night. It totally sucked and I was ready to sell him on Craigslist but DH wouldn't let me, and now at 5 mos he's back to sleeping most of the night.

Also, I've never weighed before and after but I've bottle fed and he used to take 6 oz from a bottle and now only takes 3-4. Not sure if it was a growth spurt or if he just likes the bottle less now, but maybe your babe is going through some of the same things and it just coincides with latching?
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:41 PM   #4
belindacampbell
Registered Users
seller
seller

Have you had them properly checked for Tongue Tie. It can cause significant transfer issues and supply issues. And sadly most pediatricians cannot diagnose properly. I'd start with an IBCLC not a general LC.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
belindacampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:40 PM   #5
MamaBooBear
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
It totally sucked and I was ready to sell him on Craigslist but DH wouldn't let me
^^

Idk if you bed share or not but I usually side nurse and leave my breast out so she can find it in the night without waking me up. Lol. Or I'll wake up and pop it in her mouth then go back to sleep. Idk how much she eats but usually only one side at a time. I don't like to feed her too much at a time cause she gets reflux.
MamaBooBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:23 PM   #6
Surfbikemom
Registered Users

Definitely check w a lactation consultant! We had tongue tie and the LC saw it but the pediatrician did not, but thankfully referred us to an ENT doc who saw it too. That helped a lot w the issue you described for us.
Surfbikemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:30 AM   #7
linem24
Registered Users

Your milk may have more fat in it, which is making LO feel full/sleepy faster. Formula is not the same as breast milk composition so it may be fine. Watch for wet diapers as always and overall weight gain.
Also, it can be hard to tell how much milk you have in there. If LO is used to bottle speed flow, may lose interest if yours slows down a little. I would think he will readjust--use bottles like breastflow when a bottle is needed so he doesn't get spoiled. Otherwise, you may want to consider increasing your supply. I would try pumping after he finishes nursing to see what is left. If it's not much, I would pump both sides for 10-15 minutes when he finishes which will tell your body that more was needed. Do this sparingly--not for more than a day and then reassess. Too much milk can be as much of a curse as too little!
linem24 is offline   Reply With Quote