Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2007, 02:08 PM   #1
mom2adrien
Registered Users
seller

How do I..

keep my 1 year old DS from eating the ladybugs that keep invading our house?? I looked it up, they aren't poisonous..but they make his mouth smell funky! I found him with one on his lower lip 2 days ago..and just now I found a ladybug wing that he was gumming on. Ahhh... I try to vacuum them up as they come in, but I can't get *all* of them.

Advertisement

mom2adrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:09 PM   #2
Heather8183
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: How do I..

Isn't that the most disgusting thing?! My 17mo DS doesn't eat them but plays with them all the time and they make him smell SOOO bad...I hate them! GL!
Heather8183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
susansabrina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am no help either. Sorry. All you can hope is that it gets cold quick and they leave. Just remember the more you bother them the more they leave the yellow blood stains/smell/pheromones to attract more ladybugs!
ISO:Planet Lunchbox, zorb, Small Lunette cup, ribbon for hairbows, bento style egg molds.IHA:Sm MEAF, Med MEAF, ME Toddlease, Columbia shorts XL womens, xl maternity swimsuit, Lg Zolowear ring sling in blue/grey, 2 Robeez 12-18 mo boys, wool wash, dog costume
susansabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:15 PM   #4
foxygoober
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ewwwwie. . . .No idea how you stop your lo from eating them . . .perhaps they look like candy.

I have never noticed that ladybugs smell . . .however this is the first year we've been invaded by them . . .sigh . . .we also have teeny black beetle looking bugs that are driving me nuts!
Old 12-12-2007, 02:28 PM   #5
mom2adrien
Registered Users
seller

LOL, I guess I didn't expect much help. I think I am doing all that I can. But ewww..it's so gross! I guess they do look pretty, so he wants to eat them.

And yes, I did read about not messing w/ them too much or else they leave the scent that attracts more. They only hang out on the right side of our house, and at a specific door. There are hundreds of them!!

It started to get cold, we even had some snow. But today, it's near the 80's! So ..they are back! I've never had an invasion before either. We just moved, and this is a not so good thing about this house. From what I have read, they will be back every year. I may ask DF to powerwash the house next Spring to try and get some of the scent off..
mom2adrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:39 PM   #6
laj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe it's the year of the ladybug because we're being invaded by them too. There's definitely snow here, so I don't think they're going anywhere. We've lived in our house for 8 years and we've never had a ladybug problem until now. Luckily my guys don't eat them, but they do accidentally squish them.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:49 PM   #7
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Are you sure they are ladybugs and not bean beetles? Bean beetles look pretty much exactly the same as ladybugs except they are a lighter color, often more yellowish brown than red. And they smell when they get squished, which is why I thought about it.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote