Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #1
twinmomma07
Registered Users

My Mood:
Healthy Lactation Cookie Recipe?

I would love to make some lactation cookies, but they seem just laden with butter and sugar and I want something my whole family can eat. Are there any recipes out there that don't use so much sugar or butter?

I have no problems with fats but I really want to avoid anything over processed. I know I could fiddle with substitutions, but I have so little time these days to experiment. Would love some links to healthier tried and true lactation cookies.

Thanks

Advertisement

Old 06-18-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
twolittlebeans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Healthy Lactation Cookie Recipe?

I don't have a recipe but maybe a suggestion. Do you already have a cookie recipe that you enjoy making for your family? The important "milk boosting" components in the lactation cookie are the oats, brewers yeast and flax seed. If you have a cookie recipe you already enjoy, perhaps you could incorporate these elements into the recipe. Just a thought
Old 06-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
twinmomma07
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolittlebeans View Post
I don't have a recipe but maybe a suggestion. Do you already have a cookie recipe that you enjoy making for your family? The important "milk boosting" components in the lactation cookie are the oats, brewers yeast and flax seed. If you have a cookie recipe you already enjoy, perhaps you could incorporate these elements into the recipe. Just a thought
Good idea I will definitely try this, but I wonder if all that butter is needed in the original lactation cookie recipes to cover up the bite of some brewers yeast Hope it works because I would love to have a nutritious, one-handed sack, that will help my supply. I will be traveling with four kiddos to Costa Rica and I have a tendency to forget my needs and not eat when things get crazy...
Old 06-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
jeepmom
Registered Users
seller

http://enlightenedcooking.blogspot.com/2008/06/homemade-cliff-bars-no-bake.html This is a really nice cookie/bar with many lactation friendly ingredients. In my experience, any nuts (or coconut) in a cookie does hide the brewers yeast flavor.
Add a couple of teaspoons of coconut oil, 2 tbsp of brewers yeast, and use almond butter for the nut butter. I use honey for the sweetener.
jeepmom is offline   Reply With Quote