Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-22-2011, 11:45 PM   #11
DevonP
Registered Users
seller

Re: A little worried... Bottles?

My son is 6 mos. and about a month before I went back to work started completely refusing the bottle - still does. He won't latch on, just chews on the nipple. I transitioned him to the sippy cup (Tommee Tipee) around 4 mos. It is a little messy but works better for him. We tried at least 6 or 7 different bottles and I was completely stressed out. I also had pretty good luck with the Innobaby nurser with the spoon attachment (look on Amazon). It is $$ but you can squeeze the milk into a little silicone spoon and give it to them that way. I know it is super stressful! The first few weeks my son made up for his missed milk by nursing what seemed like all night long! He is doing better now, although he still prefers mommy!

Advertisement

DevonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:30 AM   #12
2LittleAngels
Registered Users
seller

My first DD refused the bottle, no matter what bottle I tried. I understand how frustrating it is. My second DD was a preemie so started out on the bottle. She started refusing all bottles, but would take the soothie bottle. She also sucks on the soothie pacifier at bed time and used to when she was hungry. If your LO takes a pacifier, try a bottle with a similar shaped nipple.

Some kids will take a sippy cup that won't take a bottle. Some of the sippy cups with silicone spouts will let fluid out even when the child just bites the spout. That may be worth a shot too since your LO is 6 months old.
2LittleAngels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:09 AM   #13
megs715
Registered Users
seller
seller

Keep trying. My dd refused all bottles for a long, long time. I finally had to go back to work, and just leave a bottle at home, hoping she'd take something for my mom. Nope. She went 16 hours with no food (I work 12 hour shift, and have a long commute) a number of times, and then finally, finally gave in. She will only take the Medela bottles...and I tried everything, breastflow, playtex, adiri, tommy tippee, sippies, etc. Good luck!
megs715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:48 AM   #14
A&M'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My dd is 6 weeks old. Not 6 months. So sipy cups are not an option yet. I think the problem with the bottles though is that she seems like oh yucky and then when she does try it a little she starts choking like everything comes out to fast... And I have all nb stuff...
A&M'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:10 PM   #15
Lu&Ce'sMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2Lucas
seller

My Mood:

I had the same problem DD was SO stubborn I tried a couple different bottles and she finally gave into the Playtex with Naturalatch but the latex not silicone nipples at first. She still didn't like them as much but we just tried and tried and kinda had to just keep forcing it. I tried an eyedropper too but she would cry and cry or hold it all in her mouth and spit it all back out.

We had to be persistent with the playtex bottle and we did a lot of walking and rocking and bouncing and she FINALLY took one the day before I had to go back to work, stinker.