Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-16-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

I don't know what to do...

My LO is 6 months old. He is EBF and doing great! He's healthy, happy, chubby (17 lbs) and....totally not interested in solids. I guess I should also mention that he was also born at 5 lbs at 36 weeks so he was early and tiny. You would NEVER know it looking at him today, though! lol

I was seeing a Pediatrician that I liked except he wanted me to start solids at 4 months. No Bueno. So, I got a recommendation for a BFing friendly Pedi and made an appt for the 6 month check-up. He told me that I needed to start LO on pureed solids right away and that he should have 3 meals a day.... Ugh.

So...we're back to square one, I guess. Should I go back to the 1st Pedi that I originally liked and when it comes to the food thing just "smile & nod"? Or should I look for someone completely new?

What is the big rush with solids?! Every reason they give me seems so silly. "He won't learn to eat, if you don't start at 6 months", "He won't learn fine motor skills", "He will be iron deficient", "He'll be vit D deficient", "He will be antisocial" (yes...someone said that to me) but from the research I've done I feel like they are overreacting. I had LO's iron level checked today at his appt. just to make sure but I'm not expecting it to be low... I've always heard "under one, just for fun" and while I'm not planning on forbidding him from solids till he's one, I'm just not in a hurry to shovel purees down him and "make him eat".

I just want to take more of a natural approach. I can't imagine people had instant gerber purees for their babies 500 years ago. Why is it suddenly "necessary"? I just want to give him soft foods but the Pedi's are acting like that is crazy...

I just don't know what to do.... Are there any Pedi's out there that are supportive of this?

Sorry - I didn't know if I should put this in the BFing forum or Introducing Solids forum since I don't really want to start solids yet...

Advertisement

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 06-16-2011 at 02:10 PM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I don't know what to do...

My vote is for the pedi you otherwise like, and smiling and nodding.

at 6m purees are a joke. imo. IF you are feeling brave and give them a spoon to feed themselves they ARE going to fling it all over. It's really better to start with chunks of stuff, or little bites of what you are eating. I was turned off BLW (because it's a buzz word, and I just don't like it ) so I don't know what that camp has to say about it. But my DS would steal food right out of our hands or off our plates. They are naturally interested in food, you just have to make it safer (no grapes and such) Sitting down to a steaming jar of Gerber puree is over rated.

We still have some left (like apple sauce and such) from WIC and now at 2 DS is getting interested in them

Last edited by Kriket; 06-16-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Kriket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
somamama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Amber - I'm in practically the same boat as you except my 5 mo old is even bigger than your little guy (18.5 lbs at his appt a month ago)! I don't want to start solids yet but everyone is bugging me about it and I don't know what to do. I'm not one to succumb to peer pressure but my BF who had her 2nd daughter a week after my baby is already bragging how well her DD is taking solids and shouldn't I start soon. But he's a giant baby already and I really don't want to deal with solid food poop in my CDs for as long as possible!

Basically I have no words of wisdom here but am interested in what others have to say.
and our 3 furbabies (2 dogs & a cat). #2 due in 11/14! Loving life in beautiful Los Angeles.
somamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My 8 month old DD is 18 lbs and very healthy but still BARELY eats. Like she'll eat 3 beans or a taste of melon. My first 3 were already good eaters at this point. I didn't introduce anything til 7 months but she is just not into it. I would go to which ever ped you like and smile and nod. Feed him when you and he are ready. He will eat eventually and BM is better for them than anything else for the first year. My Brice only nibbled and nursed til almost 2. She was fine.
Good luck and go with what feels right to you.
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:08 PM   #5
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by somamama View Post
Amber - I'm in practically the same boat as you except my 5 mo old is even bigger than your little guy (18.5 lbs at his appt a month ago)! I don't want to start solids yet but everyone is bugging me about it and I don't know what to do. I'm not one to succumb to peer pressure but my BF who had her 2nd daughter a week after my baby is already bragging how well her DD is taking solids and shouldn't I start soon. But he's a giant baby already and I really don't want to deal with solid food poop in my CDs for as long as possible!

Basically I have no words of wisdom here but am interested in what others have to say.
Way to go - 18 lbs on EBFing is AWESOME!!! Sounds like a baby who is thriving on Mama's milk, to me!

What is funny is that no matter what your baby weighs, they will argue that solids are necessary. My first Pedi said "Oh, he is a BIG BOY - he will need solids soon because your milk just won't be enough" and I was like "but my milk is what got him this big in the first place!" I put every roll that he has on him, myself! He actually insisted that I would not be able to "keep up" after 6 months and being that I am stubborn by nature I took that as a challenge... Now I want to EBF longer just to prove him wrong! But then my friend's Pedi said "oh, your baby is so small... he needs solids to help him gain weight" which is silly. Breastmilk has more fat/calories than most solids that babies will eat at that age... She listened to her Pedi, though and started rice cereal at 4 months. He weighed 14 lbs at that time. By 9 months, her milk had dried up....and her LO is now 10 months and 16 lbs. He never really gained on cereal and she feels so much regret because she can't breastfeed anymore... she was crying to me the other day, telling me that he fell down and started crying and she wanted so bad to nurse him because that always soothed him so quickly. I just feel like there is so much misinformation out there and for new moms, its hard to know what to believe! I am so stressed trying to wade through all of the info on BOTH sides....its exhausting.

I have friends that had babies all around the same time as I did, and they have pretty much all started solids...purees. I watch them struggle and its messy and they complain about how hard it is.... two of my friends have lost their milk supply (they started at 4 months and I think they were over feeding...) and then they turn to me and say "so when are you gonna start solids?" Misery loves company, eh? No thanks...

So, do you guys just "smile & nod" at the Pedi? I just feel bad... I hate to lie to them. My hubby said that if I hand LO an apple slice to hold/suck and he really doesn't eat any, that still counts as "feeding solids" and that when I see the Pedi, I should just list off the foods I handed LO, and just leave out the fact that they weren't pureed... let him believe what he wants to. I'm tempted...

The "new" Pedi that we saw today for his 6 month check-up (that I will NOT be going back to) suggested 3 pureed meals a day! Whoa! It took everything I had to keep a straight face! No way am I doing that.... He'll get to 3 meals a day on his own time table. I just don't believe in being that rigid.

Thanks for the support. I really needed it today. I was seriously in tears after our appointment today just wondering what I was gonna do. My hubby said "Maybe he just doesn't need a doctor... " lol

I just want a Pedi that I can trust that I feel supported by, as a parent. I don't feel like I'm being unreasonable... right? Why are doctors so pushy about solids? I don't get it.

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 06-16-2011 at 04:26 PM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I tried a ped with my first and after 2 visits decided there was NO WAY I could use him. I changed to a general practitioner and we all use the same one. I found family dr's are much less rigid and opinionated than peds about parenting choices.
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:56 PM   #7
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliz7 View Post
I tried a ped with my first and after 2 visits decided there was NO WAY I could use him. I changed to a general practitioner and we all use the same one. I found family dr's are much less rigid and opinionated than peds about parenting choices.
I was wondering about that....

I had a GP in another state that I feel certain would have been perfect, but were in TX now... and the Pedi's here are VERY opinionated and even forceful, at times...

Maybe I'll have to look at GPs and see if that might work better. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 06-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #8
somamama
Registered Users
seller
seller

This seems so silly but I got one of those steamer/chopper combos at my baby shower and I'm kind of wanting to use it even though the rest of me wants to do BLS. I know I shouldn't let a gadget sway my parenting decisions though.

Either way, I definitely don't want to feed him so many solids my milk dried up! That's my worst nightmare. I feel sorry for your friend.

My ped doesn't agree with a lot of my choices (thinks we should be transitioning to the crib now, I shouldn't nurse to sleep, wants me to start feeding rice cereal, etc) but I just gloss over those parts of the appt with a smile and nod.

Also DS is going to have to have at least one surgery in the next month and I'd like to think my BM will help sooth and heal him through that process more than rice cereal would. :shrug:
and our 3 furbabies (2 dogs & a cat). #2 due in 11/14! Loving life in beautiful Los Angeles.
somamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #9
aries416
Registered Users
seller

I heard the same thing from my ped when my daughter was 6 months. I tried...My daughter HATED solids, so I stopped. She still slowly gained and my ped finally believed me that my dd was just going to be thin. My ped. is an LC, too.

Now, my son is a lot bigger, and around 20 lbs at 8 months, no one has pushed solids on me with him at all. I wouldn't listen anyway. Smiling and nodding works great!
Old 06-16-2011, 07:10 PM   #10
KristieW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Other than a FP, the other thing to look for maybe is a DO. DD's ped is a FANTASTIC DO who's been nothing but supportive of our parenting choices. His nurse, on the other hand... well, we just ignore her because she's a bazillion years old and has been giving the same advice since the stone age.