Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-16-2011, 10:45 PM   #11
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Re: I don't know what to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristieW View Post
Other than a FP, the other thing to look for maybe is a DO. DD's ped is a FANTASTIC DO who's been nothing but supportive of our parenting choices. His nurse, on the other hand... well, we just ignore her because she's a bazillion years old and has been giving the same advice since the stone age.
LOL - yeah... gotta love those nurses! I worked with a few like that and they would say dumb things like "I just don't understand what the big deal is about breastfeeding... all these breastfed babies are starving and they just need a bottle!" I would just turn away and roll my eyes... ugh.

A DO is a great idea! Why didn't I think of that?! Sheesh. Thank you!

Advertisement

Old 06-17-2011, 12:20 AM   #12
KristieW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin-mylilguy View Post
LOL - yeah... gotta love those nurses! I worked with a few like that and they would say dumb things like "I just don't understand what the big deal is about breastfeeding... all these breastfed babies are starving and they just need a bottle!" I would just turn away and roll my eyes... ugh.

A DO is a great idea! Why didn't I think of that?! Sheesh. Thank you!
On the solids topic, when we brought DD in for her 6mo checkup at around 7mo, she'd already been munching at solids (BLS) for about a month. We pretty much just tossed her snippets of what we were eating and some went down, some didn't. DH and I had talked about what we'd say if the subject of solids was brought up, and decided that we would be straightforward. So the nurse asks if DD had started any solid foods yet, and we said yes, she had. So the nurse asked what she'd eaten so far, and DH and I look at each other and kind of grin, and I'm all "well, last night she had some buffalo burger with a bit of cheese, broccoli, watermelon..." The nurse just about fell over, and after a little bit of handwaving while she caught her breath, she told us that we were doing it wrong and whipped out a chart for introducing solids sponsored by Gerber, then told us that we needed to go to the grocery store with the chart and look through the baby food aisle at the cereals and purees. She pretty much left in a huff after that, and heaven only knows what she said to our ped, but he came in with a smile on his face, and his only comment on the whole subject was "buffalo burger, huh?" It's seriously one of our favorite parenting memories now.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #13
kgmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
3 meals a day for a 6 month old sounds crazy --at my DD's 9 month checkup recently I told them she was getting purees once a day at dinner and a little finger food to play with at lunch and the Dr. was fine with that. They know she's nursing and could see that she's gaining well. I don't plan on moving to three meals a day until she's closer to a year old.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:24 PM   #14
Jaci
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love BLS because it acknowledges that the babies themselves take an active part of their food experience AND knows what they can eat without getting sick. Babies who avoid or refuse solids often time are shown to have allergies so they refused the solids because of the instinct in them. It is just the same way an animal knows a plant is poisonous, instinct, color, etc tells them to avoid that plant.

Stick with your gut mama, I'm all about instinct. If your instinct tells you that your baby is doing fine, then you are doing fine!

One thing I feel I should point out is that solids schedule is one that will encourage early weaning. Always offer the breast first and then solids. Otherwise in order to get those three meals and snacks in, most moms would have to withhold nursing, just as though they were weaning.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:30 PM   #15
somamama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Out of curiosity, is it possible for the baby to learn to eat both ways? Doing BLS part time and spoon-fed purees the other? Seems like that would be a good way to go so they're introduced to eating with a utensil early on and all different textures of food.
and our 3 furbabies (2 dogs & a cat). #2 due in 11/14! Loving life in beautiful Los Angeles.
somamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:36 PM   #16
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristieW View Post
...she told us that we were doing it wrong and whipped out a chart for introducing solids sponsored by Gerber, then told us that we needed to go to the grocery store with the chart and look through the baby food aisle at the cereals and purees. She pretty much left in a huff after that, and heaven only knows what she said to our ped, but he came in with a smile on his face, and his only comment on the whole subject was "buffalo burger, huh?" It's seriously one of our favorite parenting memories now.
Buffalo burger!!! I LOVE IT!!! lol That is seriously awesome. Part of me wants to be that honest and just see their expression! Hubby says I shouldn't tell them though, because he's afraid they might have a stroke or something and I'd be responsible...

Jaci- You made some excellent points about breastfeeding first to avoid weaning and following your instincts. You are totally right. I just get so nervous when "authority figures" start harping on me about how I'm "doing it all wrong". I loose my courage and feel stupid... I need to stand my ground. But for SURE I will nurse first and then offer foods... always.

Why don't the Pedi's get it? Why are they so clueless about the benefits of breastfeeding? It seems like they almost want to sabotage it... They certainly (for the most part) don't come across as very supportive - at least that has been my experience so far... I can't imagine what they would say if I told them I plan on BFing beyond 2 years.... oh dear.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #17
mpfanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristieW

On the solids topic, when we brought DD in for her 6mo checkup at around 7mo, she'd already been munching at solids (BLS) for about a month. We pretty much just tossed her snippets of what we were eating and some went down, some didn't. DH and I had talked about what we'd say if the subject of solids was brought up, and decided that we would be straightforward. So the nurse asks if DD had started any solid foods yet, and we said yes, she had. So the nurse asked what she'd eaten so far, and DH and I look at each other and kind of grin, and I'm all "well, last night she had some buffalo burger with a bit of cheese, broccoli, watermelon..." The nurse just about fell over, and after a little bit of handwaving while she caught her breath, she told us that we were doing it wrong and whipped out a chart for introducing solids sponsored by Gerber, then told us that we needed to go to the grocery store with the chart and look through the baby food aisle at the cereals and purees. She pretty much left in a huff after that, and heaven only knows what she said to our ped, but he came in with a smile on his face, and his only comment on the whole subject was "buffalo burger, huh?" It's seriously one of our favorite parenting memories now.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
mpfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #18
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by somamama View Post
Out of curiosity, is it possible for the baby to learn to eat both ways? Doing BLS part time and spoon-fed purees the other? Seems like that would be a good way to go so they're introduced to eating with a utensil early on and all different textures of food.
I have heard of moms doing this, exactly. They talk about it in the "introducing solids" forum. I don't think it would be a "bad" thing at all. I think the main thing about baby led solids/weaning (I hate that word - lol) is that the baby is in charge. Some might argue that the baby isn't as in charge if you're feeding with a spoon & using purees, but I think it could be just fine. You still just watch the baby's reaction and let them be the guide. That's my anyway...
Old 06-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #19
mpfanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin-mylilguy

Buffalo burger!!! I LOVE IT!!! lol That is seriously awesome. Part of me wants to be that honest and just see their expression! Hubby says I shouldn't tell them though, because he's afraid they might have a stroke or something and I'd be responsible...

Jaci- You made some excellent points about breastfeeding first to avoid weaning and following your instincts. You are totally right. I just get so nervous when "authority figures" start harping on me about how I'm "doing it all wrong". I loose my courage and feel stupid... I need to stand my ground. But for SURE I will nurse first and then offer foods... always.

Why don't the Pedi's get it? Why are they so clueless about the benefits of breastfeeding? It seems like they almost want to sabotage it... They certainly (for the most part) don't come across as very supportive - at least that has been my experience so far... I can't imagine what they would say if I told them I plan on BFing beyond 2 years.... oh dear.
Don't feel pressured. Our DD didn't want anything to do with food until 8 months (oh, and I went our of my mind trying!) One day, she grabbed a whole pear out of DH's hand one day and went to town. Then it was whole or chunked table food from then on. She's always been in the string bean percentiles, but her ped didn't care. That's what DH is like. I had no idea what BLW/BLS was until after the fact. Everyone said I was nuts to skip the pureed stuff. I don't blame DD though, it wasn't super awesome.

She's always fed herself. She started using a spoon herself at 14 months (when she decided finger dipping wasn't cutting it) and a fork followed soon after. Last night she ate salmon, wild rice, and asparagus.

Do what you think is right Mama!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
mpfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #20
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

meh. if that's the only thing that bugs you with ped 1 and you don't feel like switching, just go there. If they ask about solids, just say, "we will let you know when we start that, thank you". if they flip out...um, so what? tell them that as long as there isn't a MEDICAL reason for starting solids (one they an PROVE with your child's bloodwork or whatever) then you appreciate their OPINION but will parent the way that works for you all . If you feel better armed with research, do some digging at kellymom.com or LLL and bring info to back you up! I go to a family practice and she didn't ask at 6 mo. at our 1 yr, she just said, "is he eating food?" and I said, "yup" the end.