Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #21
KristieW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I don't know what to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by somamama View Post
Out of curiosity, is it possible for the baby to learn to eat both ways? Doing BLS part time and spoon-fed purees the other? Seems like that would be a good way to go so they're introduced to eating with a utensil early on and all different textures of food.
People definitely do that! I don't necessarily know that introducing a spoon is entirely necessary, though, because with BLS, the kiddo is eating with you and watching YOU use utensils for the same thing that they're using fingers for. DD started playing with the spoon in applesauce/yogurt somewhere around 8-9 months, and by the time she was 12-13 months, she could balance it somewhat competently as long as it was "sticky" foods like applesauce or yogurt (as opposed to spaghetti sauce or soup or something) because she wanted to do what the rest of us were doing. I think we started her with a fork around 18 months (blunt plastic one) and a (plastic Ikea) knife just after she turned two (and then only for things like pancakes). She has pretty darned good table manners now... when she wants.

Advertisement

Old 06-17-2011, 04:57 PM   #22
KristieW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin-mylilguy View Post

Why don't the Pedi's get it? Why are they so clueless about the benefits of breastfeeding? It seems like they almost want to sabotage it... They certainly (for the most part) don't come across as very supportive - at least that has been my experience so far... I can't imagine what they would say if I told them I plan on BFing beyond 2 years.... oh dear.
Honestly, because a.) it's somewhat of a novelty and b.) because it's not standardized, measurable, and quantifiable, and I think that makes scientists a little nutty.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:27 PM   #23
Bethan_77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Our family practice doc never even asks about feeding methods, sleeping arrangements, etc. Ds is healthy and growing.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:11 AM   #24
S4r4h
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by somamama
Out of curiosity, is it possible for the baby to learn to eat both ways? Doing BLS part time and spoon-fed purees the other? Seems like that would be a good way to go so they're introduced to eating with a utensil early on and all different textures of food.
This is what I plan to do and so far (we still only do very little since she's not even six months yet but looooves food) it's going wonderfully. It cracks me up that my 5 mo old can rock applesauce on a spoon.

ETA: I have to put it on the spoon and hand it to her, she can't dip it yet. But she takes the spoon and puts it in her mouth ... Or near her mouth anyway.
Sarah Beth - Mama to Charlie (Charlotte) born 1/12/11 and wife to Jeffery, computer geek extraordinaire. Lover of succulent gardens, live plant aquariums, reading, nature, sunshine, emergency veterinary medicine, and Homer, the best dog in the world.

Last edited by S4r4h; 06-18-2011 at 08:15 AM.
S4r4h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:34 AM   #25
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

my DD was born at 35 weeks at 6 months my Dr said if i wanted i could start a few solids if she was ready my DD has severe acid reflux and so far can't eat much she dose fine with cheerios and graham crackers and she can eat cut up banana most fruits and veggies upset her tummy at her 9 month check the Dr asked how eating was going and was fine with her only eating a few things and wants me to slowly add new table foods if she can stomach them. my DS started pureed foods at 5 months and by nine months would eat anything so every baby is different you will know what is best for your baby all a baby really needs is breasmilk or formula
Old 06-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #26
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

How is a DO (Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, had to look that one up lol) different than a MD?

We just started seeing a pediatrician, before this I just took my son to NP, and she wasnt pushy about vax and such. I chose this ped for similar reasons and his wife is a LC. I just took DD for her 4mos so there was no talk of solids yet.

I am nervous about future visits and how pushy this dr will be.
We moved out of state so I had to find someone new.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #27
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristieW View Post
Honestly, because a.) it's somewhat of a novelty and b.) because it's not standardized, measurable, and quantifiable, and I think that makes scientists a little nutty.
good point - I think you're right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethan_77 View Post
Our family practice doc never even asks about feeding methods, sleeping arrangements, etc. Ds is healthy and growing.
Our 1st Pedi asked about sleeping, eating habits, etc. and when I told him that I fed LO on demand he was like "oh, no, no, no... he is too old for 'on demand'. You need to get a good schedule going with him" and I just said "Well, I've never had any issues with supply like my friends on 'schedules' and that is more important to me so I'm gonna keep doing it on demand" to which he just rolled his eyes and said "ok...if that's what you want to do..."

The sleeping thing was much the same....the Pedi said LO should be STTN and when I said "well, he does sleep from 8p - 6a (ish) but he nurses 2-3 times in the middle of the night" he started on me about how he should be STTN and I just said "Well, it doesn't bother me so I'm fine with nursing him at night..." and he just didn't say more. I wanted to say "You're not in our bed at night - what do you care, anyway?! Why should it matter if we are fine with it?!" Sheesh...

I can only imagine the *head shaking* we would have gotten if he knew we were co-bedding and (gasp) letting him sleep on his tummy! All heck would have broke loose, I'm sure! Thank heavens he didn't ask and I didn't tell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4r4h View Post
she takes the spoon and puts it in her mouth ... Or near her mouth anyway.
That's adorable!

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 06-20-2011 at 03:02 PM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #28
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonton View Post
How is a DO (Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, had to look that one up lol) different than a MD?

We just started seeing a pediatrician, before this I just took my son to NP, and she wasnt pushy about vax and such. I chose this ped for similar reasons and his wife is a LC. I just took DD for her 4mos so there was no talk of solids yet.

I am nervous about future visits and how pushy this dr will be.
We moved out of state so I had to find someone new.
From what I can tell, they are basically the same. Here is a link you can read more about MD vs. DO: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari..._United_States

My friend's husband is currently in a DO program and she said they learn a bit more about spine alignment and how that can effect your overall health. They tend to look at the patient more as a whole and treat the problem more than the symptoms. That has been my experience, as an RN, anyway. These are generalizations and for many DO's, they will treat very much like any MD would... HTH.