Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-19-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
hippiemommie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Should I pump and dump?

A little over a week ago, my right breast started itching like crazy. No break out, just itching. So I kept nursing like normal. 2 days ago it started itching worse, and I noticed what looked like bug bites. I kept nursing. Today though, It's spread and looks more like... poison ivy? (No, I was not rolling around naked outside!)

DS is acting normal. He's not broken out. Should I keep nursing like normal? Or nurse just on the left and pump and dump the right until whatever this is has cleared up?

Advertisement

My ISO/IHA!
hippiemommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:58 PM   #2
petuniajo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Should I pump and dump?

Hmmm, I would probably not nurse the baby on the affected side and pump the other side, but not dump until I figured out what it is. Depending on what it is, you may not need to dump, especially since your LO doesn't seem to have caught it yet?

I got shingles over one of my breasts once (OUCH!!!), but didn't know right away that it was shingles--my midwife said it sounded like thrush. So I continued to nurse like normal. Anywho, after I figured out it was shingles (the same virus as chicken pox), I was told not to nurse the baby on that side and pump and dump it instead until it cleared up. An LC at my pedi's office later told me though, given how painful shingles are, that I could have just dried up that side and then relactated later. So I guess that's another option, though I would think much less desirable if it isn't uncomfortable for you to pump.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
Mamma527
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would keep nursing, but go to the doctor and get it checked out.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
hippiemommie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Alright... Doctor said it is in fact poison ivy... Still trying to figure out how it got on my boob and no where else...

Anyway, doctor said the same- if baby were going to catch it, he would have by now, so it is safe to continue nursing. And if I don't feel comfortable with that- I can pump and save the milk- since poison ivy is only topical and the pump wouldn't be touching the affected area.

Thanks for the input, mamas!

My ISO/IHA!
Old 06-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
Mamma527
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm glad you figured it out. That is strange that you only got it in one area that isn't exposed?
Old 06-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
hippiemommie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The only thing I can think of... Is DS1 and I were collecting leaves together last week... Maybe I somehow came across some and transferred the oil to my boob the next time I nursed DS2?? I don't know! At least it's no big deal though.

My ISO/IHA!