Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2017, 01:52 PM   #11
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Diaper rashes?? I am running out of ideas. Help!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gheera47 View Post

I think I will try the wool covers.

Anyone use Woolite to wash them?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
I've never heard of anyone using woolite for wool diaper covers...but maybe someone has? I use either a wool wash bar (if I'll be lanolizing, which I do separately) or liquid wool wash from Sudz n Dudz (on Etsy - they're on break now though). I think lots of people use Eucalan, if you want something more available.

Advertisement

Old 12-11-2017, 02:34 PM   #12
gheera47
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLlama View Post
I've never heard of anyone using woolite for wool diaper covers...but maybe someone has? I use either a wool wash bar (if I'll be lanolizing, which I do separately) or liquid wool wash from Sudz n Dudz (on Etsy - they're on break now though). I think lots of people use Eucalan, if you want something more available.
Eucalan? Would I find that at a grocery store, Walmart, or Amazon?

I just happened to have Woolite on hand. Thought I would check.

gheera47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #13
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:

I think they carry it at walmart. You can search woolite on here too and see if other people have used it/posted about it.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:59 AM   #14
Seachelle
Registered Users

It could be the vinegar. It has a lot of hard minerals in it that might be irritating for your sweetie. I'd try to go without the vinegar for two days and see if it helps. I find for antiseptic cleanser in lieu of vinegar/baking soda you can choose either tea tree or witch hazel. I actually used a witch hazel and chammomile concentrate for my spray until I went the disposable baby wipe route.

Anything that dries out the skin will make diaper rash more common.

Edit: If it's yeast infections the vinegar would help, so scratch that. I have never used the wool diaper covers so can't attest to that.

Edit Edit: You might also try one or two diapers to experiment and go hardcore not natural with them. I know it's sacrilege to some to use oxyclean and/or bleach but I do. I soak in oxyclean every time and bleach once a month. Make sure they' go through 2 or 3 cycles after any bleaching. That stuff is intense. But it does get rid of thrush.

Last edited by Seachelle; 12-12-2017 at 03:13 AM.
Seachelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:59 AM   #15
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

I could be wrong but I don't think you are suppose to use woolite. I used Eucalan from amazon . When I got it (years ago now) it was $10 so you may want to wait until after December when the prices go down -- or shop around to other amazon postings.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:03 PM   #16
gheera47
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachelle View Post
It could be the vinegar. It has a lot of hard minerals in it that might be irritating for your sweetie. I'd try to go without the vinegar for two days and see if it helps. I find for antiseptic cleanser in lieu of vinegar/baking soda you can choose either tea tree or witch hazel. I actually used a witch hazel and chammomile concentrate for my spray until I went the disposable baby wipe route.

Anything that dries out the skin will make diaper rash more common.

Edit: If it's yeast infections the vinegar would help, so scratch that. I have never used the wool diaper covers so can't attest to that.

Edit Edit: You might also try one or two diapers to experiment and go hardcore not natural with them. I know it's sacrilege to some to use oxyclean and/or bleach but I do. I soak in oxyclean every time and bleach once a month. Make sure they' go through 2 or 3 cycles after any bleaching. That stuff is intense. But it does get rid of thrush.
I don't mind occasional bleach. I do know that vinegar helps rinse out detergents and bleach residue. I do 2 extra rinse cycles after the vinegar rinse.

I was making a tea tree baby wipe solution, but I thought she could be having a reaction to that, so I stopped and have been using sensitive skin wipes, which work fine.

I just thought of one more thing... I have been washing both DS and DD's diapers together. I wonder if his gut bacteria is bothering her?

I think I will try to be more scientific and controlled when I start back again. Have only one variable at a time.

Old 12-12-2017, 02:04 PM   #17
gheera47
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
I could be wrong but I don't think you are suppose to use woolite. I used Eucalan from amazon . When I got it (years ago now) it was $10 so you may want to wait until after December when the prices go down -- or shop around to other amazon postings.
Your right! Green Mountain Diapers says no Woolite.

Old 12-12-2017, 02:08 PM   #18
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I read on Fluff Love University (I think that's what it's called) that if you have hard water, don't do an extra rinse, because without the detergent to counteract it the minerals go right back onto the diaper. Might be something to consider. I've always done an extra rinse but stopped after I read that and haven't had issues.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:18 PM   #19
gheera47
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLlama View Post
I read on Fluff Love University (I think that's what it's called) that if you have hard water, don't do an extra rinse, because without the detergent to counteract it the minerals go right back onto the diaper. Might be something to consider. I've always done an extra rinse but stopped after I read that and haven't had issues.
We ARE on a well, but we have a water softener, plus ion beads thingy (can't remember what that one is called), and sediment filter. Things changed alot when they put that in a few years ago. Hard water is a pain, but we have soft water now, it can be hard to rinse soap off your hands or out of your hair when the system has run a flush cycle. Our whites no longer start turning greyish brown even with bleach.

It really shouldn't be a mineral buildup. That is what the ion beads do, if I remember correctly, they attract the minerals then get washed out with the water softener salts. It's been a long time since it was explained to me.

I read through GMD's 16 page how to Booklet. Lots of info there, plus I sent them an email asking questions. They were very encouraging. One suggestion they made was to wait 3 weeks while using the yeast treatment, then start again. Dr. only said to use it while symptoms where present (noticable rash). GMD also suggested ironing the flats to kill any lingering stuff.

Old 12-12-2017, 03:31 PM   #20
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
We ARE on a well, but we have a water softener, plus ion beads thingy (can't remember what that one is called), and sediment filter. Things changed alot when they put that in a few years ago. Hard water is a pain, but we have soft water now, it can be hard to rinse soap off your hands or out of your hair when the system has run a flush cycle. Our whites no longer start turning greyish brown even with bleach.

It really shouldn't be a mineral buildup. That is what the ion beads do, if I remember correctly, they attract the minerals then get washed out with the water softener salts. It's been a long time since it was explained to me.

I read through GMD's 16 page how to Booklet. Lots of info there, plus I sent them an email asking questions. They were very encouraging. One suggestion they made was to wait 3 weeks while using the yeast treatment, then start again. Dr. only said to use it while symptoms where present (noticable rash). GMD also suggested ironing the flats to kill any lingering stuff.

If you have soft water that's a different story. I hope you can get it figured out! Those rashes are so sad.