Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
aphlbrck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Slow Processing Speed and Working Memory Problems?

I'm getting ready to have a meeting with DS1's teacher about his school issues. He's in the 4th grade and has continually had problems with timed tests, fact recall, retelling stories, jokes, remembering names and sometimes speaking coherently. His school work is all over the place, sometimes As and sometimes Fs.

We live in a very rural area with extrememly limited resources. I have spoken with his pediatrician about this numerous times (she's the only one in the county) and his 2nd and 3rd grade teachers. We initially thought his problems might be linked to his ADHD and he would grow out of them. This isn't happening.

His teachers have said talk to his dr. His dr. says talk to his teachers about coping skills. She mentioned that we could see a neurologist for a consult but it would be over a year to get in and a 4 hour drive to see him and she didn't really see the point.

I'm pretty sure his problem is with processing speed and working memory and I need to figure out where to go to get some help for him. He's a great kid who deserves to be successful despite the limitations that surround us.

Any advice would be appreciated. He's on Ritalin ER and is in a speech group that meets 1x a week.

Advertisement

Old 10-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Re: Slow Processing Speed and Working Memory Problems?

My son also has slow processing speed (5%) and is in the third grade. Part of his IEP is that he doesn't have to do timed work. He is given the time he needs to complete the work so long as he is working and not just messing around. He also has adhd and asd so that plays into his struggles.

Does your son have an alternative education plan with his school, either an IEP or a 504 Plan?

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
aphlbrck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No, he does not have an IEP or 504 Plan. What would he need to qualify for them and would this be the first step in getting help in school? Who tested your son for processing speed and do you know if this is a standard test that's done or did you request it? Also, do you know if there are ADHD meds that help more than others with these issues? Thank you so much!!!
Old 01-29-2014, 10:33 PM   #4
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
I'm sorry I am just seeing his again

Our developmental pediatrician tested DS. He specializes in children with ASD and ADHD and is extremely knowledgable. He was the first person to 'get' what I was telling him about DS. It was part of his rating scales.

I don't know anything about meds to treat process in functions. DS does take meds for focus and hyperactivity ad those are well managed. Now, tantrums and mood swings are another ballgame.

As for the IEP or 504. Once your son has a diagnosis you may request a meeting with the school for an evaluation for IEP and 504. Take all your docs in and they will include the teachers and probably the principal, school nurse and maybe school psychologist. They will either accept or deny. Here, the struggles must be affecting the child's performance or ability to function in a classroom to be approved.

Good luck!

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:23 PM   #5
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Your school is required by federal law (if its public) to offer testing and services if he qualifies. I'd request a complete neuropsychological evaluation including cognitive, processing, working memory, achievement, and a language evaluation from an SLP. Here a written request by a parent means we must test.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:29 PM   #6
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

I'm not sure how your son got his diagnosis but my daughter was evaluated 4 years ago by a child psychologist. He did the entire neuropsychological workup as well as having her work with his partner in his practice so that both psychologists conferred on her case and made the diagnosis together. She also has slow processing speed and low working memory along with combined type ADHD. Her numbers actually qualify her for a learning disability diagnosis. I think that might be a good idea for your son because not only will it reinforce the diagnosis but it will give you a better idea of where he stands with the numbers and you can present the report to the school dept as proof that he needs more services than he's receiving.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:27 PM   #7
eracheld
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphlbrck
No, he does not have an IEP or 504 Plan. What would he need to qualify for them and would this be the first step in getting help in school? Who tested your son for processing speed and do you know if this is a standard test that's done or did you request it? Also, do you know if there are ADHD meds that help more than others with these issues? Thank you so much!!!
In our state, ADHD is enough to qualify for a 504.

Scentsy team!
eracheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:06 AM   #8
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
Your school is required by federal law (if its public) to offer testing and services if he qualifies. I'd request a complete neuropsychological evaluation including cognitive, processing, working memory, achievement, and a language evaluation from an SLP. Here a written request by a parent means we must test.
Yes, this. You must request it in writing. I had to send an email to the school psychologist and specifically request my son be tested for learning disabilities. I believe I sent it to his teacher and the principal at the same time so more than one person got it. The school then had a certain amount of time to test him, then we set up a meeting to go over the results and make an IEP.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote