Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2011, 08:16 AM   #71
fluffycheeks
Registered Users
seller

Re: The No Stink, No Complications Laundry Solution!

ITA!!!! I was so stressed out and intimidated by detergents when I first started using cloth. If I knew then what I know now, I would have saved myself a lot of hassle and stress. We are a Tide family here, and I have zero issues with my diapers, no build up no stinkies. I may have voided my warranty, but I would rather have diapers that WORK and don't cause rashes on my poor baby.

PS, I very frequently use oxi clean too. And not the "special" kind. The regular kind I buy by the truckload from Costco.

Advertisement

Old 06-11-2011, 08:24 AM   #72
dpelephant
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes, Yes, YES! ITA. Always used a normal amount of detergent, love my oxiclean, and tide or any other type of detergent as long as it does not have a fabric softener.
My mom cloth diapered us and could not believe I did not bleach every time. She used a wet pail with bleach and water in it. She showed me how to wash diapersand I have never had issues.

I earn extra $ with Swagbucks and Ebates! Join me
dpelephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #73
ebandive
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

OK OK OK... you all have convinced me to switch from RnG to a regular detergent- I'm starting to have ammonia issues. Do I need to strip my diapers before doing this or can I just make the switch? I have a pretty big stash so stripping could take quite some time.

Come SWAG with me! I'm earning $25 a month in amazon gift cards by searching and taking surveys!
ebandive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:45 AM   #74
cjslater1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

CD safe detergent never worked for us. My son got chemical like burns from RnG, tried a bunch of different kinds too, the companywas nice in helping but I just never could get it to work. No I use basically what is one sale. I got some babyganics that works, I use purex, or tide. I do put one scoop of oxy bleach in every load. I don't know if it makes a difference but I like it. Quick rinse, hot or warm wash, warm rinse and into the dryer! We had way more problems when I was trying to do things by the book.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #75
cjslater1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebandive View Post
OK OK OK... you all have convinced me to switch from RnG to a regular detergent- I'm starting to have ammonia issues. Do I need to strip my diapers before doing this or can I just make the switch? I have a pretty big stash so stripping could take quite some time.
when I had amonia I just washed with Tide and it was gone, I didn't have to strip.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:48 AM   #76
BabyCentric
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This is how I've been washing for years and I've never had stink/buildup/rash problems except the one time I used tide cold water liquid. KISS rule to the max!
Old 06-11-2011, 08:51 AM   #77
cjslater1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wanted to add really quick that warranties don't cover stink and repelling so if that is your issue you can't get new diapers anyway, in that case I would just use what makes the dipers usable even if it voids a warranty, but that is a personal choice.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:00 AM   #78
SugarBooger
Registered Users
Formerly: hooah_momma
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marisolstice View Post
For all the claims I've heard of how "harsh detergents"/bleach/etc. will damage natural fibers, ruin elastic, wear out diapers more quickly, whatever, I have yet to see one shred of evidence. So I just say--Really? How much faster will it wear out? One day? Two months? One year? Where are the studies? And even if it were true, so what? I'll just replace the worn out diaper when it's useless. It's much less hassle, much less time consuming, and probably much less expensive than buying special detergents and washing each load multiple times.

And if there are fragile diapers that can't hold up to normal washing, I won't buy them because there are plenty out there that hold up just fine to Tide, bleach, dryers, and hot water.

Last edited by SugarBooger; 06-11-2011 at 09:02 AM.
SugarBooger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #79
SugarBooger
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
I have most of the dipes I started with 6 yrs ago. I have used 1/2 cup bleech in every load. Not one ruined dipe. No shot elastic or pul, and no holes. NADA!
Regular detergent as well. I like a simple plan that works! Never did like fads of any sort. And btw I even bleech my hemp and bamboo, yes I do, lol.

If it won't hold up to a propper washing I won't have it. I wanna be able to wash my face with these things they're so clean, in a matter of speaking of course!!

Once again just IMHO!
Old 06-11-2011, 09:03 AM   #80
SugarBooger
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alioop View Post
Anyone who has searched on diaper laundry issues will come across my monster thread....so you should know I am totally behind the "do whatever works" idea here.

However...I just want to add that the straight tide + bleach does not work for everyone. I think bleach is nifty, but it will weaken the fibers in your natural fabrics. If you add vinegar to the rinse cycle, it will help to neutralize the effects of that.

And, I am an advocate of Country Save detergent, if you can get it locally. It is cheap, and is a very simple detergent. No dyes, no whiteners, no fragrances that can be annoying or build up. The dyes/whiteners do build up, they are meant to. Whether that will cause you any problems or not seems to have more to do with your water conditions than anything else.

And.....Oxyclean (or a generic) in every load is a great idea.

Washing soda is a great additive for those with hard water.

And, my final thought issss.......do what works for you. I dont think you need to spend alot of money on WAHM detergent, unless you like the awesome fragrances. If you do buy a WAHM detergent, make sure it has a surfactant in it, or it is just washing soda and oxy clean...which is just not enough. BUT, if Tide doesnt work for you, try something else.
Alioop I your detergent post! I've had it subbed for ages!