Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-15-2016, 10:50 AM   #1
Stasia
Registered Users
seller

homeschool foster kids???

We're not in the system yet, and my kids aren't old enough for school yet. But I plan to homeschool my own. Is it even legal to homeschool foster kids as well? I really wouldn't want to be tied to the school system if I don't have to. And what could be better than 1-on-1 schooling?? I see a lot of benefits of a personalized education that focuses on reading and writing and weak areas. But I could also see relational aspects of attending the same school that they're used to if they have adults that already have relationships with them. Do the laws vary by state most likely??

Advertisement

Stasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:36 AM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: homeschool foster kids???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasia View Post
We're not in the system yet, and my kids aren't old enough for school yet. But I plan to homeschool my own. Is it even legal to homeschool foster kids as well? I really wouldn't want to be tied to the school system if I don't have to. And what could be better than 1-on-1 schooling?? I see a lot of benefits of a personalized education that focuses on reading and writing and weak areas. But I could also see relational aspects of attending the same school that they're used to if they have adults that already have relationships with them. Do the laws vary by state most likely??
In our area you can only homeschool foster children if you have a specific reason and can get a waiver but feeling like that's the better choice isn't going to cut it. I do know of a family though who homeschooled foster kids. The vast majority of the time you can't though, at least in our area.

We also homeschool and don't want tied into the system. We chose to take younger children because our bio kids are so young and so the foster children wouldn't be school age yet. The boys will be adopted before they reach school age and I plan to homeschool them as well.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:47 PM   #3
SharedTheJourney
Registered Users

My Mood:

One of the websites for homescholing/legal issues says it is up to the caseworker.
SharedTheJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:19 AM   #4
Stasia
Registered Users
seller

Which states are you each referencing?
Stasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:38 PM   #5
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Missouri for me, but even then it will probably vary some by district/circuit. We're in the 44th circuit.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 05:49 PM   #6
ruth74
Registered Users

Not allowed here. Foster children need to be enrolled in public school. I have heard of people getting a waiver to send kids to private school (child had previously been enrolled in the same private school and had a scholarship, so there was no financial issue), but never to homeschool.
ruth74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:52 PM   #7
FosteringInfants
Registered Users

I think you'll find kids are getting a lot of services in the public school system. I wouldn't want to cut them.
FosteringInfants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 12:26 PM   #8
Futurefam
Registered Users

Not allowed here either. Foster children are required to be enrolled in public or private school during any open case. I think homeschooling should be an option because in some cases it could help with severe behaviors etc. but like others said extra/special services are offered and monitored through the department of education.
Past: 9 children that have moved on...
Futurefam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 01:18 PM   #9
LAMILfostermom
Registered Users

We are in GA and not allowed to homeschool foster kids. Since they are technically state property, they have to be schooled by the state. It also helps keep it consistent if/when the kids go back home.
LAMILfostermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:44 AM   #10
margauxe
Registered Users

It depends in your place but I agree that homeschooling has a lot of benefits to all kinds of children. I'm thinking of homeschooling or unschooling my kids too in the future so we can focus on the things the they love and do not need to conform to the conventional education curriculum.
margauxe is offline   Reply With Quote