Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-17-2011, 03:18 AM   #21
worthfaraboverubies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: what went wrong ? Sewing experts needed please..Pic Heavy

55% rubber 55%polyester....hmmm now that I think of it she zig zagged through all layers then we turned it back right side out and encased the elastic

Advertisement

God loving family ! Helpmeet to a amazing husband and mom of 3 Gifts from God 1 ds, 2 dds, 1 dd on the way . I am one frugal busy homekeeping, homeschooling, streetpreaching, abortion ministering, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, sleep sharing, knitting, sewing pregnant mama! Hmmm did I miss anything .
worthfaraboverubies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:19 AM   #22
worthfaraboverubies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

your babyboy in the picture is so beautiful!
God loving family ! Helpmeet to a amazing husband and mom of 3 Gifts from God 1 ds, 2 dds, 1 dd on the way . I am one frugal busy homekeeping, homeschooling, streetpreaching, abortion ministering, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, sleep sharing, knitting, sewing pregnant mama! Hmmm did I miss anything .
Old 12-17-2011, 03:24 AM   #23
Micheliala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

okay i have two hands finally! two thoughts, 1) if it is a cotton/poly elastic it could have shrunk after washing. 2) when applying the elastic for a turned and topstitched diaper you need to only stitch it to the inside layer of the diaper. (for the zig zag you describe) otherwise the elastic will turn all in on itself like in your pictures. Or of course the other obvious is the elastic could be too tight.
And yes, I agree with PP.. the only way you could fix it is to re-do the elastics.

Hyenacart, Babyshapes on Etsy
Micheliala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:25 AM   #24
Micheliala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthfaraboverubies View Post
your babyboy in the picture is so beautiful!
thank you and apparently I posted at the same time as you but I think in that case that is definitely your problem. Sew the elastic to the inner most fabric, sew the diaper together, turn and then add the topstitching and casings.

Hyenacart, Babyshapes on Etsy
Micheliala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:41 AM   #25
worthfaraboverubies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

okay break it down to me please lol...I have four layers in each one ...I pinned all 4 layers together and the sides I wanted to show were faced right sides together and all layers pinned and the diaper was sewn all the way around then she went back and sewed the elastic in by zigzagging it and then she turned them right side out sewed the pocket closed and encase the elastic ...does this make sense what I am saying?
Old 12-17-2011, 03:49 AM   #26
2+2macht4
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

You could always have someone do it for you. I know lots of places do elastic replacement, I think it would still be cheaper then buying diapers, but probably not cheaper then making new. I think when I saw it it was 4.00 per diaper.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:47 AM   #27
pinky74
Registered Users
seller
seller

This happens when the elastic is placed too close to the seam. When you're sewing it inside out, keep the elastic about an eighth if an inch away from your seam. That should keep it at a nice gather. Also, only stretch the elastic about 80%. You can do this by tacking one end down, the pulling it all the way and then letting some go back.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:57 AM   #28
worthfaraboverubies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

very helpful mamas