Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #21
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Smelly armpits

I agree that if you are not normally having problems, then you probably do not need deodorant. I had a lot of fun making my first coconut oil deodorant. I tweaked the recipe quite considerably, especially since I had shown some sensitivity to some of the ingredients. Next month I will tweak it even more and possibly try to add beeswax to see if I can formulate a product that is shareable with others. I have a lot of ideas regarding ingredients that I think might be good. I did want to make one notation, and that is that a lot of people get rashes from cornstarch and/or baking soda deodorants. Replacements include arrowroot, all natural baking soda like bob's red mill, and bentonite clay (which is aluminum rich but whose natural formulation and silica supposedly both keep your body from absorbing the aluminum and actually detox your pits from past aluminum exposures--dunno). The chemist in me is coming out, lol!

Advertisement

debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #22
Bhavana
Registered Users

My Mood:

When I was 15(in India), my American cousin gave me this pink lingerie like polyester nightdress. I was thrilled, and stank within 1h of wearing it. Tried wearing it fresh after bath..no avail and put it in the back of the closet thinking "Wow, Americans dont sweat, eh? How can they wear such clothes and not stink?Lots of deos maybe." Back then in India, deos were expensive and not as easily avl as they are now.

I really liked the idea of bacout spray. Except we dont get bacout here! So I just make a paste of baking soda and spot the clothes with it before washing. It helps huge.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #23
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhavana View Post
So I just make a paste of baking soda and spot the clothes with it before washing. It helps huge.
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #24
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

baking soda here too! only thing that works for me
Old 12-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #25
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Baking soda is too scratchy for me. I just use plain old cornstarch. No oils or anything else. I wash up (my pits) or shower each morning and put the powder on (I lean over the sink too; MUCH easier to clean up). I can go the whole day without smell.

The real kicker...it works for DH too and he can get wicked funky without it. He can't use any DOs. They all give him a rash.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #26
countrymamaof3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I make a coconut deodorant and keep it in the fridge. I LOVE it! I've never gone back to store bought.

Last edited by countrymamaof3; 01-01-2013 at 11:51 PM.
countrymamaof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #27
umajo
Registered Users
seller

I can't wear poly shirts either... very bad chemistry. I used to stink terribly, but I've cut out gluten and I don't stink nearly as much! I do use baking soda and arrowroot powder on regular days, and Herbal Magic roll on when I'm going to be sweating. If you have a lot of body odor, it's usually related to poor digestion (eg. constipation-so more toxins get reabsorbed and excreted through skin; unbalanced gut flora, etc.). Treating your gut and drinking enough water will go a long way to decreasing stink. Although I still won't ever wear a poly shirt again.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #28
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
I've been really careful about what I'm wearing lately and cotton just seems to be better for me. No stinky pits with cotton.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #29
tfbmommy
Registered Users
seller

I am in the process of eliminating all poly clothing right now as well because of breathability issues and lingering odors in our clothing. I use Crystal "deodorant" and it works like a charm. I bought it for a very reasonable price on Amazon. Love it!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #30
Katledoodle
Registered Users
seller

I didn't post the thread, but I'm grateful for all the answers! I'll be trying some of the advice given.
Katledoodle is offline   Reply With Quote