Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2013, 05:52 AM   #21
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I started reserving some money from our tax return and buy in bulk to last the year. Coconut oil, pure stevia, EOs, toothpaste, etc. we use xyliwhite toothpaste, its affordable. We have extreme eczema so Dove will not be replaced. And I can't live without Dawn. I hate the smell of vinegar, so i dont use it much. I make homemade laundry soap (washing soda, borax, kirks) that I use for cleaning everything.

All purpose cleaner:
Squirt bottle
Hot water
1/2c laundry soap
Lemon EO

Mopping:
Hot water
1/2c laundry soap
Lemon EO

Dusting:
Hot water
1/4c laundry soap
2t coconut oil
Lemon EO

SIMPLE!!!!!
I'm considering using the laundry soap for shampoo too. Commercial laundry detergents and shampoos are made with a lot of the same ingredients. I've tried natural things but my long hair doesn't like any of that.

Advertisement

Last edited by lisathib123; 03-27-2013 at 05:55 AM.
lisathib123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #22
stephsicola
Registered Users
seller

Re: overwhelmed by going green....

I'm going way back on this thread to talk about shampoo. I use a friend's shampoo bars, and they last a looooong time. They also make my hair super squeaky clean. I think everyone else's suggestions are awesome too. We use rags as unpaper towels, and that saves us a lot.
stephsicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #23
PajammaGramma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

what do you use the Witch Hazel for? I bought a bottle awhile back because I had printed out uses for it. Well I think DH shredded the paper I printed out because it vanished and now I can't find the website I got it from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinklen View Post
I use vinegar for almost everything: bleaching out tea and coffee stains; as fabric softener mixed with an EO for scent; as a glass cleaner with rubbing alcohol and cornstarch; in water as a cleansing drink; and as a rinse aid for my hair AND my dishes (when I hand-wash). My DH thinks it makes the shower smell funny, but he doesn't notice as much when he's snuggling up next to my hair!
Like the other posters, I also use shea butter for moisturizing; it works wonders on my hands when I wear gloves overnight! And I've only paid about $8 for 8 oz., which lasts me over a year. And since I use Dr. Bronner's for face wash, I recently diluted it with water to make hand soap. It can also work as a dish wash, when washing by hand. Same goes with washing soda. I like to find items that can do multiple things when it comes to cleaning me and my home. IMO, if it's safe enough to clean my home, it's safe enough for me to use so it's a win-win!
Bar soap to liquid soap has not yet been a great experience for me. The liquid has something that keeps it liquid and the bar is meant to stay bound, so it tends to even when "melted" into a liquid. Without binders, like in homemade detergent, it will resolidify.
Lastly, try looking up ideas on items you already own and see what else they are capable of. I recently learned more about witch hazel so it is now a staple in my bathroom for several different uses.
Good luck!
Old 04-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #24
PajammaGramma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the post about taking it one thing at a time. I tried "going Green" all at once and it was just so overwhelming! I tried different "recipes" and found what worked for me and threw out all the other recipes. I have a recipe card box with all of my recipes written down. I also write down what color and when I painted rooms in my house and keep that in that box as well.

I had a liquid laundry soap that I made for over a year, but recently came upon a web site with a powder recipe. I am on month 2 using this one and I love it. It is so much easier to make and store.

I use vinegar, baking soda, rubbing alcohol, regular blue Dawn dish soap, peroxide mostly for cleaning.

I use Dr. Bronner's and make my own foaming hand soap. I love the peppermint for face washing. It feels so tingly clean.

Cleaning wipes are what I am hooked on! I cut up a bunch of old t-shirts into 10 x 10 squares, fold those in half and bought the Glad storage containers that are about 5 x 9 size to keep them in. I make up my solution: 2 cups water, 1/2 cup rubbing alcohol, 1/4 cup ammonia, 2 squirts Dawn. I always make up extra and store it in quart size mason jars. They are air tight and store very nicely. Anyway, put the folded t-shirts in the Glad container and pour the solution over them. Snap the lid on and you have great cleaning rags already wet with cleaner. I use them for EVERYTHING! Just wipe everything down and dry with another dry towel. I keep a container in each bathroom, the kitchen and the laundry room.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #25
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Please share your laundry powder recipe! I read that dawn is toxic, so I'm now on the hunt for a dish liquid :-/
Old 04-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #26
PajammaGramma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sure, here is my homemade powder laundry soap:

1 - 4 lb. 12 oz. box Borax
1 - 3 lb. 7 oz. box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
1 - 4 lb. box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
1 - 3 lb. container Oxi Clean Versatile
1 - 55 oz. Purex Complete Crystals (comes in several scents
5 - Bars Zote Soap (Fels Naptha works too, I just prefer the scent of Zote Soap

You will need a 4 or 5 gallon bucket with a tight fitting lid. And a large wooden spoon.

I grate the 5 bars of soap on the small side of my hand grater.

Next, I gradually pour about 1/4 of each ingredient into the bucket and stir with the wooden spoon. Repeat this process until all ingredients are added, stirring well after each addition. Then I make sure the lid is on tightly and (holding on to the lid, just in case!!) tip it upside down and/or shake as vigoriously as you can to mix everthing really well. I use the the Oxi Clean container to store what I am using at the time and an old measuring spoon. The 5 gallon bucket I store under my laundry room sink. You basically just want it stored in a dry place until you need to add more to the smaller container.

You will only use 2 tablespoons per load. There will be no suds in the washer, so I am told it is totally safe to use in High Efficiency washers.

You can also add more of the Purex Crystals if you like more scent, or completely leave them out if you choose as well.

The ingredients cost me $22.23, and it is supposed to last for 325 loads, so ends up costing about 7 cents per load.

And......just FYI.....I spilled chocolate syrup on my shirt yesterday and it all came out with nothing but the 2 TBLS. of laundry soap! Also, if you have breathing problems, make sure when you are making this soap, you pour slowly. I made the mistake of practically dumping it in the bucket and it was VERY overpowering. Had to take a break. Lesson learned!!
Old 04-10-2013, 05:03 AM   #27
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajammaGramma

You will need a 4 or 5 gallon bucket with a tight fitting lid. And a large wooden spoon.

Next, I gradually pour about 1/4 of each ingredient into the bucket and stir with the wooden spoon. Repeat this process until all ingredients are added, stirring well after each addition. Then I make sure the lid is on tightly and (holding on to the lid, just in case!!) tip it upside down and/or shake as vigoriously as you can to mix everthing really well. I use the the Oxi Clean container to store what I am using at the time and an old measuring spoon. The 5 gallon bucket I store under my laundry room sink. You basically just want it stored in a dry place until you need to add more to the smaller container.

You will only use 2 tablespoons per load. There will be no suds in the washer, so I am told it is totally safe to use in High Efficiency washers.

You can also add more of the Purex Crystals if you like more scent, or completely leave them out if you choose as well.

The ingredients cost me $22.23, and it is supposed to last for 325 loads, so ends up costing about 7 cents per load.

And......just FYI.....I spilled chocolate syrup on my shirt yesterday and it all came out with nothing but the 2 TBLS. of laundry soap! Also, if you have breathing problems, make sure when you are making this soap, you pour slowly. I made the mistake of practically dumping it in the bucket and it was VERY overpowering. Had to take a break. Lesson learned!!
What is purex complete crystals?
Old 04-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #28
PajammaGramma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Purex Complete Laundry Crystals is a laundry freshener. Basically it is added for scent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisathib123 View Post
What is purex complete crystals?
Old 04-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #29
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Take my opinion for what it's worth....but i could never afford going whole hog with green products either. Way too costly. Even when done slowly over time.

I actually don't trust the EWG website all that much because too much data is missing, but I had to find a comfort level I could live with without worrying about every last thing we had in our home. So I scoured the website trying to find the lowest rated "mainstream" products. Then I tried to balance that with what actually worked for us.

This is what I came up with:

Dr Bronners as a body wash, in a foaming pump for hands, for baby wipes, baby soap, all purpose cleaner, etc. I like to use the peppermint as a face wash. It's invigorating. Also, Dr Bronners is really concentrated, so a small bottle can be diluted to last a lot longer.

Dove unscented "sensitive" bar soap

Water Babies sunscreen

coconut oil as a body lotion, foot lotion, and diaper rash cream, and also a smoother for my girl with the crazy curly hair (also has many other uses)

aloe vera gel from trader joe's for facial lotion (many clear kinds at drugstores are rated low, too)

all natural toothpaste is actually fairly affordable, but it's sometimes tough to find one the kids like. Mine like the Tom's strawberry, but I sometimes get the feeling that's not "all natural" anymore. They also like the Jason orange.

Baking soda in the tub instead of a bubble bath....we started using it for chronic rash and just kept doing it when the rashes went away.

Baking soda & vinegar as toilet bowl cleaner, paired with an old dish scrubber

Vinegar & water in a spray bottle for all purpose cleaning and windows.

microfiber towel for dusting

homemade laundry soap - I don't think mine qualifies as green anymore because I put Downy unstopables in it, but Fels Naptha smells horrid. Homemade soap also fades my darks, probably because it doesn't have optical brighteners.

Ecover fabric softener is reasonably priced or you can use vinegar. Clothes won't smell like vinegar.

7th Gen dish soap is affordable and you can often find coupons or on amazon with S & S.

Ecover makes a dishwasher tablet that works pretty well. Use vinegar in the rinse aid area. I get it on Amazon.

Like I said, I've reached a level of comfort by doing the best I can with the funds available. I still use Tide almost all the time, though I don't mind the homemade. I also use Johnson's or Suave tear free shampoos because crying kids in the bathtub is 100% not acceptable for me. I have sensitive scalp and have only found a couple of shampoos that don't break me out in hives. Suave clarifying shampoo and most suave conditioners work for me and work well. And in the winter I have to pull out a high power lotion for at least a little while, usually Lubriderm or Gold bond.

Last edited by badmisterkitty; 04-10-2013 at 11:41 AM.
badmisterkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #30
lauren_brooke
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajammaGramma View Post

I might have to try this after we're done with our homemade liquid soap. It sounds like it might be much easier to make!

I'm slowly starting to try and go more green and do things to save money. I currently make our own laundry soap (and want to make dish soap), and cleaning solution (just dawn and vinegar). I found a glass cleaner I plan on making after we're out of windex. I would like to make the switch to unpaper towels, but haven't got there yet. Need to start slowly investing in those, because we go through paper towels like crazy!