Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-18-2007, 11:59 PM   #1
blessedwithprincessntwins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Natural Cleaners Go Green Enlighten me plese

I just read apoll on do you use natural cleaners. Please if you do, do all natural cleaners please enlighten me on what works andstuff I can buy locally. Really want to try vineagar but it smells. Please tell me exact measurements so I can try it and what it works for. I want to be green and save green too.Thanks so much mamas

Advertisement

Old 11-19-2007, 12:35 AM   #2
Kestlyn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Natural Cleaners Go Green Enlighten me plese

Hey Mama!
Green Cleaners are the best!
Do you have an Earth Fare or Whole Foods nearby? They have a large selection of products to try. My favorite brand is Biokleen. Great price for a great product.
Do you have a Target or Publix? They carry Seventh Generation Products. I like their liquid dish soap and fabric softener. I use Arm and Hammer Essentials scent/dye free when I can find it.
I make a multipurpose cleaner in a large spray bottle ($.97 Walmart special). Put in a squirt of non-toxic liquid dish soap, 12-15 drops of essential oil (I use thieves blend for it's anti-bacterial/fungal/disinfecting qualities), and fill the rest up with distilled water.
I clean the toilet bowls with about 1/3 cup vinegar and a few Tablespoons of Baking soda. After the fizzing goes down, just use a toilet brush to clean the sides. Wait about 30 minutes for stains. Then flush! It keeps my drains clean too...without the really bad chemicals.
I put essential oils on cotton balls and put them in my return plates for natural air cleaning and freshener as well.
It's amazing...I rarely take my allergy medication anymore.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:24 PM   #3
Auravik
Registered Users

I just found this at www.thegreenguide.com

All-Purpose Surface Cleaner
1 quart hot water
1/8 cup borax (available at grocery and natural-foods stores)
Combine the ingredients in a large spray bottle, shaking until the borax dissolves completely. If you prefer a fragranced surface cleaner, add 10-20 drops of a naturally disinfectant essential oil, such as eucalyptus, rosemary, peppermint, or lemon. Spray onto surfaces, then wipe clean with rag. Store the cleaning spray in a cool, dry place.

Scouring Scrub
2 cups of baking soda
1/3 cup liquid castile soap
1/4 to 1/2 cup water
Blend all ingredients together in a small bowl, adding just enough water to form a thin paste. Apply the paste just as you would a commercial tub, toilet, and tile cleaner, scrubbing it onto surfaces with a brush or a damp sponge and letting it sit for a few minutes before rinsing it clean. For a scented scrub, add 10 drops of an essential oil, such as the ones listed above. (Note: Mix up a fresh batch of this scrub each time you clean.)

Window Cleaner
Fill a spray bottle with most of the way with water and add either 1/4 cup white vinegar or 1 tablespoon lemon juice to cut grease. Spray on windows and wipe dry with a clean, reusable cloth. (Note: If you see streaks, you may need to repeat the process twice the first time around. Commercial products may have left a build-up on the glass that you'll need to remove.)
Old 11-20-2007, 04:28 PM   #4
odenata
Registered Users
seller

If you want to try vinegar but don't like the smell, you can add an essential oil to it (peppermint is one I've seen people say they use, and I use lemon oil). Also, the smell goes away once it evaporates.
odenata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
psbroudy
Registered
seller

if you dont feel like mixing your own stuff

there is a product called epic. i have a housecleaner that uses only green products and most of the products they use are by the brand epic. they smell great and seem to get the job done.. but i am a big loser and dont use them myself

www.greencleen.net

Last edited by psbroudy; 11-20-2007 at 04:33 PM. Reason: bad link
psbroudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:30 PM   #6
heluvsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I second the Bio-Kleen. I use the dish liquid and then for my spray bottle I use the all purpose cleaner/degreaser. You dilute it in water, and it goes a long way!
Old 11-20-2007, 04:36 PM   #7
babybluebird
Registered Users
Formerly: happyhaneys
seller

My Mood:

In addition to the posts the ladies have stated above...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Seventh Generation. I just switched to them and the shower cleaner and all purpose cleaner are great. I also am addicted to the lemongrass clementine zest (mild) fragrance in the dish soap. They have great stuff and it works better than others I've used.

You can also try the essential oil and vinegar thing, which I did, but I could still smell the vinegar...

good luck!!
babybluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:02 PM   #8
jd4213
Registered Users
seller

Bio-Kleen is the best - love it diluted for spraying!

Some Seventh Generation products are great - and reasonable. Suprisingly the SG powdered dish detergent worked better for us than the liquid dish.

The All Purpose cleaners are great - love the smell they leave behind!

Some of the liquid soaps with the essential oils leave a film behind - we just had to experiment with a bunch to find the best for each cleaning purpose.

Good luck - wish I had found DS before spending so much $$ on trial and error!
jd4213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:49 PM   #9
lemieuxcrew
Registered Users
seller

the smell of vinegar goes away. its an awesome cleaner. i steam mop the floor with just water. but for counter tops i use EO and water to disinfect and clean. i use a DIY thieves blend.
lemieuxcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 12:34 PM   #10
kim77407
Registered Users

Best natural cleaner is Baking soda...For floor and other house hold items you can use seventh generation products...For personal cleaning I use W Natural Soaps https://wnatural.com/ ..They are natural and smell fresh
kim77407 is offline   Reply With Quote