Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #11
Designsbybequi
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, I shot for a level a little higher than what they wrote. My dd was ready for it so we went further. I'd recommend near the end of K after mastering short vowel to introduce long vowel. Use Bob books K and introduce their 1st grade level. If done in a fun way, it's a really easy transition for them, making the first grade curriculum easier. We reviewed the 100 chart quite a bit in the last half of K. We spent two weeks just filling a blank one in slowly. Basically, I did find going further than their list helped us prepare for 1st grade and that my dd was comfortably ready to go
further than their recommendations.

Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 11:17 PM   #12
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Thoughts on this kindergarten checklist??

a lot of that is covered in the 3 yr old and into the 4yr old curriculum i use at work (at a daycare), and ds is in public pre-k this year, and their assessments go higher than that too. the math seems especially weak

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:38 PM   #13
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawnlovesjasper
Well I used the worldbook guide as my guide to build my own curriculum for my oldest for 2nd and 3rd grades, when he took a standardized test in 3rd grade he was in the 99th percentile for both language arts and math. So, it can't be that bad.

Here are the lists in their original home... on the WorldBook site: http://worldbook.com/typical-course-of-study

Another guide I really like to build my own in the Core Knowledge Sequence.. you can download it for free http://www.coreknowledge.org/download-the-sequence (just under "download sequence" headline there are 2 links, one for preschool and one for k-8) The newer version of the What Your x Grader Needs to Know books follow this sequence and are a good starting point if you go that direction.
Finally got a chance to review that link! I'll definitely be printing it out. It definitely looks helpful!
theonenonlymrssmith is online now   Reply With Quote