Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #1
palsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help... Hoof and mouth disease question

so I just self diagnosed my 10 1/2 month old son with Hoof and mouth disease. He has been extremely cranky and has a rash on his feet, knees, and bum! We have been doing tylenol and ibu and teething gel thinking he was teething but this morning I noticed sores on the roof of his mouth!! I feel so bad for my little man! My question is... Do I need to do anything special with the cloth diapers to kill the virus ( everything I read says it is spread through feces and urine) and do you think I need to notify my ped? It's saturday so the office is closed. My hubby is an ER nurse and works night so is sleeping right now but maybe I should have him chat with one of the docs tonight??

Has anyone been through this?? Please any advise would be great!

Advertisement

Old 11-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
Mel_C
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help... Hoof and mouth disease question

*giggle* Foot and mouth, actually... as long as he's not eating the poop or pee you should be fine... Make sure you wash the diapers in hot water and just keep them clean as you usually do... Make sure you wash your hands well after handling them... Notifying your Pedi when the office opens up wouldn't be a bad idea but I'm not sure there's much they can do about it other than wait it out... Keep your LO hydrated and eating what he can... Good luck! Our daughter had it once... it's a pain to deal with for everyone.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
palsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Lol! I guess it would be foot and mouth unless I have a cow as a child! thanks mama. Hoping this passes soon! He is miserable!
Old 11-27-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's miserable but there is nothing a dr can do. We've taken both dd2 and ds in for foot and mouth when they were little because they were so miserable and we didn't see the rash in their mouth (the only place either of them got the rash) and our pedi said the only thing we could do was wait it out. Typically it is 3 terrible nights and then they start getting better - or that has been the case with our kids.

Pedi said popcicles are good for older kids to ease the throat but our kids were under 6 months when they got it and waiting it out was the only thing to do. So depending on the age of your son you could make some popcicles to try and help him.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
Len27
Registered Users
seller

DD had hand, foot and mouth- it went through the home daycare she was in. She never got the mouth sores (or really got sick at all) but her feet looked terrible and she had blisters on her hands as well. The dr just said pump as much fluids as possible into her however you can- so if that means juice and chocolate milk, go for it, lol. The blisters went down quickly but took probably a solid month to fully heal/peel off.
Len27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:39 PM   #6
palsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow! Thanks mamas. So tonight will be night 4 of no sleep for us! Hoping it gets better soon!
Old 11-27-2010, 06:42 PM   #7
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

ds has HFM too. we've been doing carmex on his lips and chloraseptic spray too.

ISO/IHA
mysticmomma1879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #8
mmmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids both had it at the same time a few years ago, not fun.

Watch to make sure he is staying hydrated, my dd would not drink because the sores in her mouth were so bad.
and just so you know, after the virus is gone and he is feeling better his fingernails made split and peel
Old 11-27-2010, 08:36 PM   #9
palsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm still wondering where he got it! I was kind of worried about his fluid intake yesterday because he was on and off the breast at each feed and super uncomfortable. I didn't put it all together until I saw the sores this am. I noticed his diapers were not as wet but today has been much better. Thanks mamas!
Old 11-27-2010, 08:41 PM   #10
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

My DS just recently got over hand foot and mouth. It was nasty and he had to get antibiotics because he also had an ear infection but as for the h-f-m just lots of liquid and tylenol for fever. I didn't do anything special to diapers just wash on hot. It did take a while for him to feel better so just hang in there.