Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-03-2014, 05:00 PM   #1
hrose92
Registered Users
seller

How Many Covers (Gro-Via) do I need?

For after the newborn stage I am hoping to do Gro-Via shells with inserts/prefolds/flats and then perhaps get some Kawaii shells or else fitteds with wool/larger covers for at night (unless the gro-via shells end up being big enough and working well for night too)

My problem is I don't know how many I should have?!
Right now I have 9. But I really want to get some of the new prints they came out with. Will that be too many?? How many does your LO go through a day? Do they usually only last one diaper change or do you often get away with 2 or 3??

Would love some help, thanks!
hrose92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:23 PM   #2
lugnut_9754
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have 12 Grovia covers. I have 24 flats so I figured 12 cubes would be good.
Michele (29) - - Waiting for #1 since March 2013 (My Single Mother By Choice Blog) - Follow my journey on YouTube

Following my heart and adopting a child with Down Syndrome from Inda
Have $5? Please consider donating to my Adoption Fundraiser
lugnut_9754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #3
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Re: How Many Covers (Gro-Via) do I need?

http://www.gro-via.com/faqproduct.html#started

In my exp they will wear out fast if you don't have alot. they even recomend 12-16 and only reuse them a couple times.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #4
mommyegon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have 15... Half snaps and half Aplix.

The snaps are holding up better... I usually only use 2-3 covers a day. DD is 6 months. I wash every other day.

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com
Old 07-04-2014, 05:31 AM   #5
ashleyg103
Registered Users

I like to have a large stash of covers and they will last longer. I would say to have a minimum of 12.
ashleyg103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:09 AM   #6
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Dp

Last edited by Melinda29; 07-04-2014 at 06:17 AM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:10 AM   #7
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

I have used Grovia covers with flats and prefolds for almost 5 years solid, with 2.5 babies (my oldest wore BGs from birth to PT, my 2nd wore BG until age 1 and Grovias until PT, my 3rd and 4th used Grovias from birth to PT) , so I feel very qualified to answer

Grovias fit my kids from 8-30 pounds very well. So you could definitely use them as soon as the cord stump falls off, provided the baby is not exceptionally small and the leg elastic must be new/tight.

They usually last as many changes as we have until they get pooped on. Not every poop gets on the cover. Even with newborns who poop constantly, many of those are little poops and if the diaper underneath is doing its job, it will absorb all a lot before things get messy. The covers don't get wet from urine, either, unless the diaper is totally saturated, so they rarely have a chance to develop any odor. I'd say 3 covers a day is about average.

We have 1 cover for every 3 diapers and that is about perfect. I have 12 covers (10 Grovia shells and 2 Diaper Safari), 36 xsmall prefolds/flats, 30 small prefolds, and 24 medium. This gets us washing every 3rd day. I used sposies until the cord came off and then straight into Grovias. I use Diaper Safari covers at night since they are roomier, to accommodate doublers and such.

The theory about buying more covers so they all last longer. . . . Well, yes and no. I have had the same 10 Grovia covers for 5 years now, washing 2-3 times a week. I get the elastic replaced for every newborn so it's tight for those skinny legs. And I line dry the covers so they stay waterproof. Some of them started getting leaky when they (the covers) were about 4 years old. I certainly didn't need 16 to last through only 1 child like Grovia recommends.

ETA: I wash on HOT and my machine is a toploader, so it is definitely NOt gentle on diapers!

Last edited by Melinda29; 07-04-2014 at 06:27 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:50 AM   #8
threekstrio
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29 View Post
I have used Grovia covers with flats and prefolds for almost 5 years solid, with 2.5 babies (my oldest wore BGs from birth to PT, my 2nd wore BG until age 1 and Grovias until PT, my 3rd and 4th used Grovias from birth to PT) , so I feel very qualified to answer

Grovias fit my kids from 8-30 pounds very well. So you could definitely use them as soon as the cord stump falls off, provided the baby is not exceptionally small and the leg elastic must be new/tight.

They usually last as many changes as we have until they get pooped on. Not every poop gets on the cover. Even with newborns who poop constantly, many of those are little poops and if the diaper underneath is doing its job, it will absorb all a lot before things get messy. The covers don't get wet from urine, either, unless the diaper is totally saturated, so they rarely have a chance to develop any odor. I'd say 3 covers a day is about average.

We have 1 cover for every 3 diapers and that is about perfect. I have 12 covers (10 Grovia shells and 2 Diaper Safari), 36 xsmall prefolds/flats, 30 small prefolds, and 24 medium. This gets us washing every 3rd day. I used sposies until the cord came off and then straight into Grovias. I use Diaper Safari covers at night since they are roomier, to accommodate doublers and such.

The theory about buying more covers so they all last longer. . . . Well, yes and no. I have had the same 10 Grovia covers for 5 years now, washing 2-3 times a week. I get the elastic replaced for every newborn so it's tight for those skinny legs. And I line dry the covers so they stay waterproof. Some of them started getting leaky when they (the covers) were about 4 years old. I certainly didn't need 16 to last through only 1 child like Grovia recommends.

ETA: I wash on HOT and my machine is a toploader, so it is definitely NOt gentle on diapers!
This is really informative. I haven't used Grovia, but I was told that using fastened prefolds under them doesn't work because the prefold is too wide. Do you just lay them in the covers? what about the flats? I'd love to see you do a tutorial for how you use them since you have so much experience.

To the OP-I think the number of covers you need is a personal preference. I've heard of people diapering full time with 2 covers they use one and hand wash the other and continue the cycle. I hope you find what works for you! You've gotten some great advice here
threekstrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #9
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by threekstrio View Post
This is really informative. I haven't used Grovia, but I was told that using fastened prefolds under them doesn't work because the prefold is too wide. Do you just lay them in the covers? what about the flats? I'd love to see you do a tutorial for how you use them since you have so much experience.

To the OP-I think the number of covers you need is a personal preference. I've heard of people diapering full time with 2 covers they use one and hand wash the other and continue the cycle. I hope you find what works for you! You've gotten some great advice here
I trifold prefolds or padfold flats. You can fasten the prefolds or flats when the shell is on the smallest setting because there is extra width due to the baby being so small. But once the baby is big enough for medium or large snap settings, trifolding or padfolding are really the only options. Grovia shells are just so trim!
Old 07-07-2014, 08:18 PM   #10
justagirltm
Registered Users
seller

I say a stash of 15 would be good for full time. If you flip out the inserts as soon as your lo wets or catch the poop with liners you can go through 2 or 3 a day. I say 2 or 3 because change my lo as frequently as he soils his diapers and I use the grovia liners which in my oppinion are the best ones. Some other liners give him a rash.
justagirltm is offline   Reply With Quote