Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-21-2014, 08:16 AM   #11
teacherpippi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Container and small space gardening

Burpee has container corn- we're trying it!

Advertisement

teacherpippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:23 AM   #12
stevensmom
Administrator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherpippi
Burpee has container corn- we're trying it!
Ohh I want to try that
BabyBoyBlueBoutique
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:02 AM   #13
lbulas
Registered Users

I'd stick with herbs if you're going to try containers. I've too had better luck with doing it all in the ground rather than a container. I don't think they get enough water in the container and mine always ended up burning up in the hot sun .
lbulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:51 AM   #14
DanielaLee
Banned

How come I never heard about these containers before? I grow species and herbs in usual pots (but with a really good drainage) and of course I use quality LED grow lights (here is a helpful review on the best models by the way https://smokeandbuzz.com/ ). LEDs are irreplaceable in my case as I grow plants in a rather shady room, and they require no less than 12 hours a day of intense lighting (LEDs can successfully substitute sunshine without big power consumption). I guess special containers could improve the results, it is great idea. As for the space, I don't have much of one, I grow everything on the attic of my house.
DanielaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:17 AM   #15
GreenHome Sewing
Registered Users
Formerly: Jonah Baby
seller
seller

My Mood:

Maybe a bit late to the party here.
Have you tried pole beans? Or potatoes?
Make sure your pole or other climbing material will be sturdy when under bean weight. Our beans have been crazy this year, seems to be the only thing I can successfully grow so far! We mostly left them to the elements, they have taken care of themselves. They take up minimal footprint, a 5gal pot is way more than enough space for one vine, maybe two vines would be fine.
I haven't tried container potatoes yet, this is the first year I got any ground potatoes to grow at all. I hear the "bucket potato" method is super easy to do.
I never have luck with tomatoes, but I'm in tomato unfriendly climate for outdoor growing. Some people swear by container tomatoes. Tomatoes like more acidic soil, you can put some used coffee grounds on top of soil so that when you water the acids will seep to roots.
Sunflowers are very easy to seed grow in a container. My son's grew amazing. He started it in a pot at school and we then transferred it to our garden later on. Mine all died a few inches tall, his is bright and lovely at 5'. He also planted our bean seeds though, I think he has seed magic fingers.

Herbs are typically good choices.
Most plants will "talk" to you. Too much water, they rot and brown up. Too little water, they'll wilt. Too little sun will cause them to grow tall and leggy. Too much sun tends to blanch the colors off leaves.
Always put drain holes in bottoms of containers. I would recommend putting a few inches of rock, stone, shells, anything like that on bottom to help water seep down and out to prevent drowning. Over watering kills most "house plants."