Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-14-2010, 11:59 AM   #31
jveprek
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What would you do? Baby at daycare not eating.

I totally get why your heart aches for that baby. It seems like a sad situation. But, the fact of the matter is, without that moms consent, you can't do what you are doing. I get why you want to, I really do, but you can't. Maybe you can talk to the mom, tell her you have extra milk, and offer to provide it for the baby. With talking to her, maybe you will get a better feel of what goes on at home. Report the situation too, so that the baby can get help if it needs it.

I had to go back to work for 6 weeks with my son. He would eat almost nothing all day I was so worried about him. BUT, he'd nurse from the second I got home until the second I dropped him off again. He was up every hour at night, or would nurse while he slept. Maybe the baby does that too.

Advertisement

Old 09-14-2010, 12:11 PM   #32
lotsoluv
Registered Users

My Mood:

This really wasn't your place in any way. The DCP should be handling any issues regarding the baby and if she's not and you're conserned then you are always free to contact the authorities about it. she also had no right to discuss another child with you. Both you and the DCP may have just opened yourselves up to legal action and if the mother presses charges DCP will surely loose her license, I have no idea what would happen to you if she pursued it. You're right, you can't change what you did but you should have contacted the mother first.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #33
seacat
Registered Users
seller

I would talk to the mom and see what's going on. My son is six months old and hates the bottle, hates frozen or refrigerated milk. I exclusively breastfeed. Now granted I leave a ton of milk for him to drink whenever he wants to throughout the day. He just won't. He drinks the fresh stuff I leave on purpose in the morning and waits. I'm not gone as long as she is throughout the day, but he is a waiter. He's a healthy 18lb kid that just knows what he wants. I will say that I spend the better part of the next 14 hours feeding him though.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:37 PM   #34
misscrazO
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibellij View Post
You cannot do that. What the mother says goes. If you think there is an issue of this little one being deprived, it needs to be reported.

Those who donate milk need to be approved by the parents and blood tested.

This is your bodily fluid, and I can tell you that I would have reported you to an authority if you had fed my child your breast milk without my consent.
What she said!
Old 09-14-2010, 01:12 PM   #35
mommajewels
Registered Users
seller
seller

Geeze! Why do some people on this site have a hard time expressing themselves without being completely MEAN about it? Does it make you feel good? Express your concern, but there isn't any reason you can't be gentle about it. It's not like this mama had any ill intentions towards the baby, she didn't intend to hurt the baby.. she was acting out of the kindness of her heart, doing what she thought was best. She also isn't talking about a toddler. Shes talking about a 5 month old baby, who already appears to be little for her age, going 12 hours a day with no form of nourishment. Who wouldn't be alarmed by that!? Its been explained to her why it was wrong & why she should never do it again, I don't see why its necessary for people to continue harping on her and even being so hateful about it.

OP, sorry for digging this back up. I should have PMed you, instead. I do apologize.

Last edited by mommajewels; 09-14-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:42 PM   #36
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajewels View Post
Geeze! Why do some people on this site have a hard time expressing themselves without being completely MEAN about it? Does it make you feel good? Express your concern, but there isn't any reason you can't be gentle about it. It's not like this mama had any ill intentions towards the baby, she didn't intend to hurt the baby.. she was acting out of the kindness of her heart, doing what she thought was best. She also isn't talking about a toddler. Shes talking about a 5 month old baby, who already appears to be little for her age, going 12 hours a day with no form of nourishment. Who wouldn't be alarmed by that!? Its been explained to her why it was wrong & why she should never do it again, I don't see why its necessary for people to continue harping on her and even being so hateful about it.

OP, sorry for digging this back up. I should have PMed you, instead. I do apologize.
Being alarmed is one thing, deciding to feed another person's child without permission is another. How would this Mom feel if someone decided HER child was to little and started giving her child formula without permission? How will this Mom feels if that baby has a severe allergic reaction due to the wheat in her diet? You just DON'T take these kind of decisions away from the Mom. If she is THAT concerned call CPS and let them do their job. Her DCP could also lose her license.

And I did not see anyone being hateful. She asked "What would you do?" It was in the title.

Last edited by Joyful Tie Dyes; 09-14-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:51 PM   #37
mommajewels
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmamatobe View Post
Being alarmed is one thing, deciding to feed another person's child without permission is another. How would this Mom feel if someone decided HER child was to little and started giving her child formula without permission? How will this Mom feels if that baby has a severe allergic reaction due to the wheat in her diet? You just DON'T take these kind of decisions away from the Mom. If she is THAT concerned call CPS and let them do their job. Her DCP could also lose her license.

And I did not see anyone being hateful. She asked "What would you do?" It was in the title.
I completely understand what you're saying. It has been explain to her throughout the thread that she made a terrible decision by feeding the baby her pumped milk w/out the mothers permission. Everyone seems to agree on that part. But some of the recent responses have been rude, IMO. To tell her it was the wrong decision because of the this & that and she could face serious legal problems is one thing, but some ladies have come at her pretty harsh about it.. and its unnecessary. Yes, it was wrong. Yes, she put the baby at risk by not knowing if she had any allergies that could be transferred through her milk. Yes, she needs to know how serious what she did could have been. But she was not doing it out of malice... and some of the responders seem to be treating her like a crazed criminal. She made a mistake, one that has been stressed to her already.. I just don't understand the point of coming at her so harsh.

And if we're going to be technical, she was asking what you would do about the baby that goes at LEAST 12 hours a day with no sort of nourishment.. not "what would you do if I fed your baby BM without your consent."

Last edited by mommajewels; 09-14-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:08 PM   #38
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

OP - I see you've been on in the last hour - have you any updates at all?
Old 09-14-2010, 03:20 PM   #39
charise820
Registered Users

My Mood:

While I understand the need and want to help the baby.

You just don't know anything other than what your sitter tells you. Maybe the mom has told her more than you know. Is it really you place to question this mom and the sitter to talk to you. maybe the baby was premie and that's why she's small my almost 2yo is only 25 pounds and was always small for her age.

Once I found you and the DCP went behind my back to give the child BM that wasn't mine I would press charges. You don't do that. Then I would seek to have the DCP license pulled for one giving out presonal info about my child and providing someone else bodily fluids to my child w/o consent.

Honest I wouldn't even bring back my own child to that sitter that you use because look at how quick she is to talk and do other things behind the back of the mothers wonder what she does with yours. Maybe it's not a problem with the mother maybe it's a problem with the sitter and adjusting for one you said she's been there a week and in a week you decide that mom is a crappy mom. nice.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:03 PM   #40
tripmomplus1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not only would I be LIVID if someone gave my baby breastmilk with out my permission (and I have used donated milk and had my baby nursed by a friend), but I would be furious with the care provider for discussing ANYTHING that had to do with my baby with another mother from the daycare (and I would pull my kid so fast their heads would spin). My 5 month old used to sleep 12 hours solid, not waking up at all to nurse and he napped very little during the day. While he was awake he was nursing ALL.THE.TIME. He was little for his age (as are all of his brothers and sister), but he got more then enough fluids and nutrition from me during the 12 hours he was awake. Cluster feeding and reverse cycling are very common in breastfed babies who are away from mother for any length of time. This is not unusal and unless there is any other indicators I think calling DYFS is a bit extreme (as is giving this baby breastmilk that isn't her mothers!).