Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-25-2013, 11:40 PM   #1
amyltc
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
EBF and pumping

I really really want to not supplement at all with this baby, but I'm wondering how often and for how long you all pump? I'm a teacher so I get to work at 7:45 and have recess at 9:30-9:45, lunch from 10:45-11:25 (super early!) and then the kids leave at 2:30 (I have to stay until 3:45 but could usually pump anywhere in that timeframe from 2:30 to the end of the day unless I have a meeting). I'm worried that I'm not going to be able to pump enough during that time to get enough to cover all the feedings I'll be missing. Should I add in an evening pumping session or try to add extras on the weekend? Did you pump before you went back to work to build a freezer stash? If so, how did you do it? My first baby I was part time and heavily supplemented/weaned at 8 months, my second baby my mat. leave coincided with summer so she was 6 mo when I went back and I was lazy and just didn't pump much. Experiences and tips?

Advertisement

amyltc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

Re: EBF and pumping

I have 2 kids and I have worked full time and pumped 3x a day for over 10 months with both.

When I first went back to work, I tried to pump at the same time every day. For me, I was working 7:30am to 4pm, so I pumped at 8am, 12pm and 3pm. I would pump 10-15 min with my double pump. You produce the most in the mornings, so sometimes I would move the middle time to 11am or 11:30am if I had a lunch meeting.

Once you get a good supply established (by nursing as much as you can on the breast when not working), you don't have to stick to the times as rigid. I often pump at 9am, 1pm, and then again at 2:30pm. My guy is 10 months old now though. And I've always responded well to my pump.

Some general tips: Drink A LOT of water. I pee more now then when I was pregnant. Eat a snack right after pumping. I keep dried fruit, beef jerky, granola bars etc in my desk. I like to relax when I pump. I try to play a game on my phone, surf the web, or read. I look at pictures of my kids and take deep breaths. If I have trouble getting a let down, I try to visualize my milk flowing. Or a waterfall. Anything like that.

Good luck! You can do it. I love being able to provide for my baby in this way. You will fall into a routine
Old 09-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm a teacher. I go 30 minutes early and pump when I get there, at lunch, and as soon as the kids leave. I also pump around midnight and for awhile I had to add in a session at 4 am. Looking back, that was crazy. With the second kiddo, I pumped my 3 times, sometimes a 4th at midnight, and used formula for the rest because I couldn't handle the stress of 3 kids and pumping in the middle of the night.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
eflannery
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a good tip. The way that I built up a HUGE freezer stash (we have almost 300oz in the freezer) is that while I was on maternity leave I would have DH give dd a bottle while I pumped for the middle of the night feeding (or the 1st of the middle of the night feedings if applicable).

What would happen is that dd would take in about 3-4 oz but I would pump twice that, so the extra amount that i pumped slowly built up. I did this the entire maternity leave.

The added benefit is that newborns take FOREVER to nurse, but usually a bottle goes a bit faster which means less time awake for both parents.

If this is an option for you I highly suggest it. Even if you don't have *that* large of a freezer stash going back even if you have a few bags of milk it will help you feel more relaxed and not so worried about not being able to pump enough.

GL!!

Mama to Regan Louise Born July 5, 2007
Quinn Annmarie : Born March 30th, 2013
and Callan Mark Born May 28th, 2015
eflannery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
hohaas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I work FT and what I did was start pumping within the first week baby was born. I would pump after feeding and also in between. I would pump round the clock. This established a good supply for me. By the time it was time to go back to work I easily had a good stash. With my last 2 babies I had so much extra I was able to donate ~8000 oz to other mommas and their babies on top of feeding my own and having my own freezer stash.

This is what worked for me. You'll have to try and find what works for you. GL!
Old 10-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
jill-of-all-trades
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had the same fears you do.
I highly recommend and agree with eflannery.
"I would have DH give dd a bottle while I pumped for the middle of the night feeding (or the 1st of the middle of the night feedings if applicable).
What would happen is that dd would take in about 3-4 oz but I would pump twice that, so the extra amount that i pumped slowly built up. I did this the entire maternity leave."

...and it does take less time to pump and bottle feed than to nurse in the beginning, and it is easier to increase your milk supply in your LO's first 12 weeks than after that. Stay hydrated!!!! Dehydration does reduce your milk supply.
As for what I did was I built up a milk supply before going back to work, then I would pump every time my LO took a bottle. It worked out to be every 3 hours. I work from 7am-7:30pm. So I feed my LO before I leave at 6 and then pump at 9, 12, 3, 6. It is hard to take that many brakes (I am a nurse on a busy unit) but my employer is required to give me the brakes I need to feed my LO and I just made it my top priority. I found ways to deal with the important things that needed to get done and got support and help from coworkers to make it happen.
jill-of-all-trades is offline   Reply With Quote