Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #21
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Advice on a house for a family of 6

Kids don't need their own rooms!!! Studies have shown recently that kids that were an only child or didn't shared a room had trouble adjusting to roommates in college and getting married. Their were not used to sharing space.

We have 4 kiddos: DD 11, DS 5, almost 6, DS 4, DD almost 2. We have a 3,800 ft2 house, a modified ranch. The master and a small bedroom is only the 1st floor, and a large bedroom upstairs. There is another "bedroom" upstairs, but is open with only 3 walls. My girls share a room downstairs because ODD has a feeding tube and has a night feeding and meds. We could probably fit 8 more boys upstairs in the boys room.

I was one of 4. I shared a room with my sisters, brother, and a cousin until I was 16 and the older kids were gone. DH is the 7th of 8. His only sister got her own room that was also the sewing room. He usually shared with a couple of brothers.

You can get too many bathrooms though!!! We have 4.5 baths and we have the Murphy's Law of Bathrooms, once I clean it, someone pees somewhere other than the toilet, tracks mud in, uses hand soap to decorate, or somehow floods the room.

Brittany, wife to Rawlo , mom to dd T (10/01), ds M (6/07) & ds O (3/09)
cloth diapering, baby wearing, part-time homeschooling, LDS SAHM who volunteers
britsuz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #22
Registered Users
Ours are still little--4, 2.5, and 3-wk old twins--but we live in a 3-br, 2-ba 1645-sq ft house. There's a bonus room/office that can be a bedroom some day. Right now, one bedroom is a playroom, the big kids are in the other, and the babies are with us. We have bunk beds. I anticipate that all four will share a room at some point and then the oldest or oldest two will want to split up from the twins.

We have an open floor plan and the house "lives big." We don't plan to move--I grew up in this house and my husband and dad surprised me by working out an owner-finance agreement so that we could afford it.
March is offline   Reply With Quote