Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-18-2007, 01:46 PM   #1
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

What's on your list of necessary items???

I know everyone's list differs but what is on yours? Give me details like how many of each. I"m having trouble deciding on final numbers of things like hats, socks, outfits, etc.

Advertisement

Old 12-18-2007, 02:01 PM   #2
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:
Re: What's on your list of necessary items???

We had SO SO SO much when DD was born. It was seriously over whelming and ridiculous.

With this baby I am definitley not going over board. It will be a summer babe, so I am just planning on probably 24 onesie type dealies, but since they'll be in cloth I'm not sure how well it will work out, so maybe just some plain T's. Light newborn style cotton pants, probably 6-8 pair maybe 10 if you have to deal with BM poo all the time, definitley some gown type outfits. Maybe some sleep N plays. Thats it as far as NB clothes go.

Lots of socks though. The itty bitty ones always seem to get lost some where, and def. some of the mittens. I wouldnt think I would NEED them with DD and we totally did, maybe 2-4 pair, and maybe 2-3 little cotton hats for the first few days/weeks.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
jeniperlyn
Registered Users
seller

I have to agree with the previous post, even though i didn't purchase anything we had, the amount of clothes he had was overwhelming. I was all hand me downs i purchased a hand full of stuff at the thrift store and i believe 2 brand new sets. He had a very long closet and it was full, i believe i bought him 80 hangers plus his drawers all 4 of them (about 2 feet wide and 1 1/2 ft deep) were full. The laundry with all that stuff was also overwhelming! Also, i found that there were only a few things that i really like and put him in those things over and over. I had stacks of hats and since he was born with a head full of hair they wouldn't stay on his head.

I say, decide how often you want to do laundry and get 2-3 outfits and 2-3 jamies for that many days. I could never keep socks on my sons feet either, he always managed to kick them off. They also grow very fast, my son was 8lbs 7oz at birth so newborn stuff didn't work, 0-3 month worked for a few weeks. He spent the most time in 3-6 months.
SAHM to Zachary Arthur 4/5/06 Mckenzie Elizabeth 5/14/08 our angel with wings 6/2/07 & Complete Molar Pregnancy 3/8/12 followed by ema/co (multi unit chemo). weened at 24 months DD and 12 months DS, , ...out of the loop! Baby #3 due 5/19/15.
jeniperlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:48 PM   #4
jennsmile
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am due in the summer. I have several gowns from the coop. Boyish outfits and some gender neutral outfits. I don't do hats much, and some socks. But I have everything except a new carseat. Well I could play musical carseats for a few weeks if needed. I have one Radian, a Regent and Booster (used occasionaly for my oldest.)

A well stocked freezer is on mylist of necessary items...

Jenn

Fort Hood Mama's check out LLL of Killeen
jennsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 04:37 PM   #5
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

I have one special coming home outfit that's a handpainted l/s tee from a mama on here and a pair of longies I'm currently knitting and this is it for us so far:

6 nb fitteds
30 infant prefolds
12 preemie prefolds
4 nb proraps
4 sm proraps
2 snappis
2 wetbags(I'm thinking one more since I work 4 days a week and we only line dry)
3 1/2-4 dozen wipes

2 cotton hats
3 knit hats
3 gowns
5 sleepers
3 long sleeve side snap t's
3 denim jumpers
2 fleece sleepsacks
6 pairs of socks
4 outfits
2 long sleeve shirts
3 pairs of pants
~8 pairs of babylegs to share with big sisters
7 recieving blankets(4 flannel and 2 stretchy cotton and 1 fleece)
cotton corduroy bunting

carseat(radian)
ring sling
pump and 6 4oz bottles and 4 8oz bottles(I will be going back to work soon after the birth)
diaper bag
baby tub

I think that is it right now. I also plan on finding a bouncy seat/vibrating chair for her.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:24 PM   #6
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

I'd probably pick up some more socks
And, maybe some more shirts/pants, but not a lot. Like 3-4 of each. I remember just going through SO much laundry, and it was ALL different. The the PP said I remember just liking a few styles and reaching for those first. So, whatever you liked with your older kids is probably what I'd aim for.

And, def. a bouncey chair!
Old 12-18-2007, 07:04 PM   #7
Tad
Registered Users

My Mood:

We never wore socks....they just do not stay on. Our baby was swaddled a lot or in a sling. We also had footed pants for him. We found nb clothes practically useless. We only wore those to go out or to show off....The baby really just sleeps and poops and does not move. I konw some people change day and night clothes but we never did...
Old 12-18-2007, 07:05 PM   #8
Katherine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, we're good for diapers and already have a bunch of clothes.
We still need:
10-ish onsies
5-ish tee's (gonna wait for an american apparel coop for those)
5-ish receiving blankets (if it's a boy)
10-ish pairs of socks.
4-ish gendered outfits
Car seat
area rug for baby's room
mobile
bassinet
swing
sling
bottles/breastpump/feeding stuff
changing table or dresser

for a little later on -
a few soft toys
toy arch
floor gym

That's pretty much it. We have tons if gn clothes, tons of dipes. We just need to get the room converted from our home office to a nursery, and I need to get on sewing some more prefolds and embellishing what we already have.
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:56 AM   #9
HeatherElyse
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had a TON of clothes that I was given for DD and I actually used all of it. Mostly because I had to go to a laundry mat to do laundry so it only got done every two to three weeks. NB clothes were pretty much useless with her (she was 8lbs 9oz at birth) so they only got one or two wears. Just long enough to take pictures and send them to my inlaws that bought the outfit.
Things I know Ill get for the next (when I get pregnant next)
Sleepers (probably 2-3 a day for a week so 21)
Onesies (same number)
Pants (10 pairs or so)
Socks (10 pairs)
If its a boy a suit for church.
If its a boy a blessing outfit.
Carseat (I want to get a convertible this time)
Cloth diapers
Diaper pail
Wet bag
Wipes
Bouncy seat (ours didn't make it over to Japan in one piece)
Bobby (I found Breastfeeding without a pillow really hard when DD was young)
Pouch sling
Maybe another type of carrier.

Thats about it I think. I have a lot of the stuff from DD still. We are thinking of trying for number 2 come the new year. We keep on talking about it and can't decide a hundred percent.