Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2017, 09:54 AM   #1
Agla's Avatar
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 16,738
My Mood:
What do you freeze?

I know some of you have chest freezers. I think some of you do the freezer prep meals.

I need all the knowledge. Share what you store in your freezer.

Advertisement

__________________
Here to help if I can.
Shameless referral links: Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. PM me your email for 15% of your first Boden purchase.
Agla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:08 AM   #2
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 4,836
My Mood:
Re: What do you freeze?

Everything and anything lol. As far as prepped meals right now I have French onion pork chops, baked oatmeal cups, and smoothie packs.
kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:47 AM   #3
Agla's Avatar
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 16,738
My Mood:
Re: What do you freeze?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrotski View Post
Everything and anything lol. As far as prepped meals right now I have French onion pork chops, baked oatmeal cups, and smoothie packs.
Yes, exactly the kind of info I need.

I can definitely see me planning some frozen breakfast options.
__________________
Here to help if I can.
Shameless referral links: Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. PM me your email for 15% of your first Boden purchase.
Agla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:58 AM   #4
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 4,836
My Mood:
Re: What do you freeze?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
Yes, exactly the kind of info I need.

I can definitely see me planning some frozen breakfast options.
The baked oatmeal is good for 3mos in the freezer and heats up really well in the mornings. Burritos are good and bulk batches of pancakes.
kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:22 AM   #5
MamaChirpy's Avatar
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: South MS
Posts: 8,074
Re: What do you freeze?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrotski View Post
The baked oatmeal is good for 3mos in the freezer and heats up really well in the mornings. Burritos are good and bulk batches of pancakes.


Recipe for baked oatmeal please?
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:24 AM   #6
MamaChirpy's Avatar
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: South MS
Posts: 8,074
Re: What do you freeze?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
I know some of you have chest freezers. I think some of you do the freezer prep meals.

I need all the knowledge. Share what you store in your freezer.


Check out largefamilytable.com. That lady just posted a huge freezer meal post. And does regularly.
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:36 AM   #7
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 4,836
My Mood:
Re: What do you freeze?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
Recipe for baked oatmeal please?
4 cups of old fashioned oats
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 and 1/3 cup almond milk (I use unsweetened vanilla)
1/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup maple syrup or honey
1 cup diced apple

Oven at 375
I put it in a lightly greased muffin tin using a 1/4 cup scoop for 20 minutes. I like the muffin tin because it freezes well and makes the perfect portion for DS2. You could also just make it in a baking pan but I'm not sure the time adjustment needed.

This is the only kind I've ever made because I had some extra apples but I have a recipe for a peach baked oatmeal too that I want to try next.

I love this recipe because I almost always have all the ingredients on hand.
kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:37 AM   #8
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 4,836
My Mood:
Re: What do you freeze?

Oh also, I always mean to add a tablespoon or so of chia seeds for extra nutrition but I always forget lol
kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:38 AM   #9
MamaChirpy's Avatar
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: South MS
Posts: 8,074
Re: What do you freeze?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrotski View Post
4 cups of old fashioned oats
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 and 1/3 cup almond milk (I use unsweetened vanilla)
1/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup maple syrup or honey
1 cup diced apple

Oven at 375
I put it in a lightly greased muffin tin using a 1/4 cup scoop for 20 minutes. I like the muffin tin because it freezes well and makes the perfect portion for DS2. You could also just make it in a baking pan but I'm not sure the time adjustment needed.

This is the only kind I've ever made because I had some extra apples but I have a recipe for a peach baked oatmeal too that I want to try next.

I love this recipe because I almost always have all the ingredients on hand.


This is perfect! I also have everything listed.

And you just heat the muffins in the microwave straight out of the freezer?
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:39 AM   #10
jen_batten's Avatar
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 11,891
Re: What do you freeze?

I used to freeze a lot of meals. I would just make enough for 2 when I cooked--like a lasagna for the night I made them, and one for the freezer. Now with the size of our family + 3 gluten free kids, it takes up so. much. space. to freeze meals. I've pretty much gotten out of the habit of doing that which is a shame, it's super handy.

What we use our freezer for the most is bulk meat. Like we just had 2 pigs butchered. We often buy 1/2 a beef. Sometimes find a stellar sale on chicken. Stuff like that.

We do still use it for gluten free stuff--I try to have a few things on hand for them, like I will make and freeze a pizza, or an extra loaf of bread.

We freeze fruit for the off season. So if berries are on sale ridiculously cheap we buy a bunch, freeze what we aren't going to eat fresh on a baking sheet, then bag it and leave it in the fridge for smoothies or for winter when buying off season fruit would break the bank.

My inlaws keep their important paperwork in the freezer. Does that help?

Last edited by jen_batten; 10-04-2017 at 11:40 AM.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC. All Rights Reserved.