Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2017, 10:55 AM   #21
Agla's Avatar
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 16,639
My Mood:
Re: Meal Planning-Let's Give This a Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmomof2 View Post
I menu plan on a weekly basis. We are vegan and about 80% gluten free. Our food budget is $100/week. I rarely spend over $90 and we have plenty of "extras" every week that roll onto the next week.

2 kids (DS is 10 and eats a TON)
2 adults


I can post the grocery list and menu for this week if you want?
That would be great. I'm picking up useful tips.





Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmomof2 View Post
We shop 90% of our groceries at Aldi's. It'd cost twice as much at the local grocer. I love that they have $1.99 quarts of almond milk and $2.49 chocolate almond milk!
I know! It hurts when I have to buy it at the regular market.

My steel cut oatmeal and quinoa is also something we save $ on.

Advertisement

__________________
Here to help if I can.
Shameless referral links: Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. PM me your email for 15% of your first Boden purchase.
Agla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:41 PM   #22
apeeling's Avatar
apeeling
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 786
Re: Meal Planning-Let's Give This a Go

We use the Google Keyboard app for grocery lists and meal lists. I usually plan about a week out, I try to do a mix of quick meals (usually meals where we always have ingredients on hand) and meals based on what produce/meats are on sale. I try to do a couple meals with similar ingredients, since we have a small family things like fresh herbs would get wasted otherwise.

So I might make pozole and enchiladas the same week. I make the pozole first, I cook the chicken in a slow cooker with an onion and a head of garlic, the liquid becomes the broth for the soup, I reserve half the chicken for the enchiladas. Then I make a double batch of salsa Verde, half goes in the pozole (along with hominy and a couple other things) and the other half goes in the fridge for the enchiladas later in the week.

For our staple meals we usually do pasta with homemade ragu (we make a big batch every couple months, make a lasagna and freeze the rest), quesadillas and tomato soup, burritos (cook 2 cans beans, 2 lbs chicken thighs & 1-2 cups salsa in the slow cooker), breakfast burritos, etc. We also make pizza fairly frequently, but I don't think we save money on it... DH is a pizza snob and recently got a pizza oven he's super proud of, lol.

We don't plan breakfast or lunch. Lunch is usually just leftovers or sandwiches, or some random veggies and fruit. I shop at Costco for staple foods and then at Kroger or sprouts for produce.

We should share recipes!
apeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:34 PM   #23
Agla's Avatar
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 16,639
My Mood:
Re: Meal Planning-Let's Give This a Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeeling View Post
We use the Google Keyboard app for grocery lists and meal lists. I usually plan about a week out, I try to do a mix of quick meals (usually meals where we always have ingredients on hand) and meals based on what produce/meats are on sale. I try to do a couple meals with similar ingredients, since we have a small family things like fresh herbs would get wasted otherwise.

So I might make pozole and enchiladas the same week. I make the pozole first, I cook the chicken in a slow cooker with an onion and a head of garlic, the liquid becomes the broth for the soup, I reserve half the chicken for the enchiladas. Then I make a double batch of salsa Verde, half goes in the pozole (along with hominy and a couple other things) and the other half goes in the fridge for the enchiladas later in the week.

For our staple meals we usually do pasta with homemade ragu (we make a big batch every couple months, make a lasagna and freeze the rest), quesadillas and tomato soup, burritos (cook 2 cans beans, 2 lbs chicken thighs & 1-2 cups salsa in the slow cooker), breakfast burritos, etc. We also make pizza fairly frequently, but I don't think we save money on it... DH is a pizza snob and recently got a pizza oven he's super proud of, lol.

We don't plan breakfast or lunch. Lunch is usually just leftovers or sandwiches, or some random veggies and fruit. I shop at Costco for staple foods and then at Kroger or sprouts for produce.

We should share recipes!
The pozole sounds so yummy.

I've never heard of google keyboard off to try it out.

Pizza oven? Do tell!

I make a roasted tomato sauce recipe from Alron Brown that I usually double. I need to stop fooling around and triple it.

Tonight was a simple lentil curry with fresh baby spinach over rice. We don't eat meat on Friday so that's pretty much decided.

I plan lunch when we need to use up a specific ingredient.
__________________
Here to help if I can.
Shameless referral links: Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. PM me your email for 15% of your first Boden purchase.
Agla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:38 PM   #24
abh5e8
Registered Users
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 733
Re: Meal Planning-Let's Give This a Go

Between moving in Tuesday and being sick with a nasty gi virus the rest of the week... I failed at meal planning. But, this week I'm going to do better.

Tonight was a giant pot of chili, with leftovers portioned out for five adult lunches. Tomorrow I'll do the same with a chick pea lentil morrocan stew. That will give ten lunches for the week, so dh and I will be set. I should also end up with about 6-8 kid lunch portions, which will be 1-2 days worth.

I made enough oatmeal today to last tomorrow and Monday.

Tomorrow I will make my plan for the rest of this week.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
__________________
Lovin my dh and our 5 sweet blessings....dd1 (11), ds1 (9), ds2 (7), dd2 (4) and ds3 (1)
abh5e8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:48 PM   #25
abh5e8
Registered Users
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 733
Re: Meal Planning-Let's Give This a Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmomof2 View Post
I menu plan on a weekly basis. We are vegan and about 80% gluten free. Our food budget is $100/week. I rarely spend over $90 and we have plenty of "extras" every week that roll onto the next week.

2 kids (DS is 10 and eats a TON)
2 adults


I can post the grocery list and menu for this week if you want?
Yes please! I am cooking for (almost) 7 and I feel like my food budget is out of control.

Aldi's is now right on our way home, and I'm hoping that will help some. It seems like my kids just inhale the fruits and veggies.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
__________________
Lovin my dh and our 5 sweet blessings....dd1 (11), ds1 (9), ds2 (7), dd2 (4) and ds3 (1)
abh5e8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:16 PM   #26
apeeling's Avatar
apeeling
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 786
Re: Meal Planning-Let's Give This a Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
The pozole sounds so yummy.

I've never heard of google keyboard off to try it out.

Pizza oven? Do tell!

I make a roasted tomato sauce recipe from Alron Brown that I usually double. I need to stop fooling around and triple it.

Tonight was a simple lentil curry with fresh baby spinach over rice. We don't eat meat on Friday so that's pretty much decided.

I plan lunch when we need to use up a specific ingredient.
Whoops, the app is Google keep. Autocorrect failed me.
It's just a note taking app, but it syncs to your Google account. I can tag lists/notes, so all the grocery and meal lists are easily searchable. And I can share my list with other people, so I can add my husband and he can see and edit the list I shared.

The oven he has is this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CELFJ4A/
A frivolous purchase, but my husband has wanted a pizza oven for a long time. He originally wanted to build a wood fired oven, but he decided this would be easier to implement. Anyway, I think a nice oven/pizza stone works well enough, at 10% of the price.

We've just been having the freezer meals I made a couple months ago. But tonight we went to our church's trunk or treat and chili cook off. Easy dinner, haha.
apeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:29 PM   #27
MamaLlama's Avatar
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,321
Re: Meal Planning-Let's Give This a Go

I have a weekly menu that I cycle through. I have variations for each meal but the basic menu mostly stays the same. And I switch it around as needed, if I need a quicker meal one night or something. I hate making decisions so it helps to have this already decided. Lately I've been planning two weeks and shopping for it all at once...that's as often as my husband gets paid and if I make one shopping trip instead of more it saves money (and stress of taking little kids to the grocery store).

Sunday - baked potatoes, chef salad, possibly cornbread, possibly meat dish
Monday - pasta (homemade mac & cheese or spaghetti, etc.)
Tuesday - taco salad
Wednesday - soup and bread or seasonal meal
Thursday - burritos (bean & cheese, bean & rice, or breakfast) or tostadas
Friday - pizza (homemade or not) or black bean burgers
Saturday - whole wheat waffles and buttermilk syrup

I don't mind switching something out if there is something else I want to make but it helps me a lot to have a starting point.
__________________
Happy wife of one & grateful mama of six
[AKA BRXB ]
MamaLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:00 PM   #28
kocho's Avatar
kocho
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 11,959
My Mood:
Re: Meal Planning-Let's Give This a Go

Do really need to get back to meal planning. Been having a hard time lately due to a packed schedule. Its kind of been feast or famine.


Then I do stupid things like today.went tontge store and bought stuff for wings to light. Pork lion for another meal and stuuf door tuna casserole. Totally forgot that I've been planning to throw in the crackpot. Ugh, and of course Thursday is Thanksgiving, so I planned for more dinners then I need!! The day before my daughter is twirling at the cavs game, so won't be cooking. I can throw the tuna casserole stuff in the cupboard. But I'll need to make the wings and porklion, if I have time. Tuesday is definitely a crockpot day.
__________________
I am a WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor!!

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC. All Rights Reserved.