Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-27-2018, 06:30 AM   #1
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Freezer stock up!

One of my favorite things about tax return time is stocking up my freezer! I would love some new ideas of what everyone likes to stock their freezer with.

Advertisement

kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:35 AM   #2
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Freezer stock up!

Oooo I want to know too.

We don't necessarily use tax return on food but I'm curious to see what others do.

I'm going to research stocking up on local ground beef.

For some reason we end up stocking up on bread. We end up getting "day old" pretty frequently either free of for like .62 cents a loaf. My dh can't eat it so we use it mostly for breakfast and lunch. Sometimes it's the artisan brunch granola kind which usually costs like $5 a loaf.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:10 AM   #3
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
Oooo I want to know too.

We don't necessarily use tax return on food but I'm curious to see what others do.

I'm going to research stocking up on local ground beef.

For some reason we end up stocking up on bread. We end up getting "day old" pretty frequently either free of for like .62 cents a loaf. My dh can't eat it so we use it mostly for breakfast and lunch. Sometimes it's the artisan brunch granola kind which usually costs like $5 a loaf.
Brunch granola bread?! Yum!

I dont use a ton of our return towards this but I like using some to stock up on things I know we use (especially meat) that I can freeze so for months I feel like our grocery budget is short we always have something in the freezer.

We have a discount bakery store Ive never been to. I was just telling DH I don't know why I have never been.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:18 AM   #4
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrotski View Post
Brunch granola bread?! Yum!

I dont use a ton of our return towards this but I like using some to stock up on things I know we use (especially meat) that I can freeze so for months I feel like our grocery budget is short we always have something in the freezer.

We have a discount bakery store Ive never been to. I was just telling DH I don't know why I have never been.
That was supposed to say "crunchy granola bread". I've noticed my autocorrect has been particularly assertive since a recent update.

Our markets always have a section for bread they are clearing out. Sometimes you hit at the right time and find some good stuff.

Our senior center gets free bread from the markets. They always have tons left over and someone brings it to church and it's available to anyone. I actually take only a fraction because I don't have the space.

The best was when someone was bringing us the artisan bread from this schmancy fancy bakery.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:37 AM   #5
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't stock up at tax return time but when I stock my freezer I do things like buy a beef or a hog. We also buy excess fruits in season and freeze for the off season. And we make freezer meals and stick in there when I'm feeling really motivated but that's getting harder and harder to do, it seems, and wouldn't be specific to the time of year.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:27 AM   #6
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
I don't stock up at tax return time but when I stock my freezer I do things like buy a beef or a hog. We also buy excess fruits in season and freeze for the off season. And we make freezer meals and stick in there when I'm feeling really motivated but that's getting harder and harder to do, it seems, and wouldn't be specific to the time of year.
What kind of freezer meals do you make?

I am bored with my same ol freezer meals.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:56 AM   #7
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Pretty much whatever I am making just double and stick half in the freezer. So if I make chili, I'll bag that and stick in the freezer (although I have to make 3 big crockpots to have enough to do this, haha). Double lasagna or pizza or whatever, put half in the freezer. If I make pot pie I will put together a pot pie kit--meat, veggies, broth go in the bag so it's easy to pull out and put together. I make soup kits and sometimes I just brown or otherwise cook meat and bag. Like I might cook a huge batch of meatballs and freeze in portions for our family size, or cook 3# of taco meat and bag--it's not a whole meal but it is incredibly handy and makes cooking a lot faster when we are in a pinch.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:18 PM   #8
abh5e8
Registered Users

Taco mix (beef, red lentils, tomatoes, onion, taco seasoning) and meat balls are my go to freezer meals. They aren't whole meals but my kids love them and it's easy to round out the meal.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2018, 10:48 PM   #9
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

There are millions of recipes and books of freezer recipes if you're looking to actually prepare stuff, but if you're looking to buy stuff, here's what I love to have my freezer loaded with:

Meat - buy ground beef every time Kroger has a coupon. But lots of chicken breasts when on sale. Break the family packs of meat into meal packs in gallon bags before freezing. Only takes a few minutes, and you'll thank yourself when you need 4 breasts only for dinner.
Shredded cheeses - buy bulk and either freeze in smaller bags or store the big bags in the freezer and replenish your fridge bag from there.
Frozen berries - big bags from Costco are great to have on hand
Frozen veggies - we use the stir fry mix a lot, as well as broccoli, spinach, and green beans
Shredded potatoes (hash browns)
Nuts, if you guys eat them
Whole wheat flour keeps better in the freezer
Ice cream!!

Everything I listed will keep for several months in the freezer.
Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:51 PM   #10
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Oh also I forgot to mention I usually buy several gallons of milk at a time (I know you're off, but maybe the boys drink it?), Pour ~1 cup off each gallon before freezing. Once it's thawed, shake it up well and nobody will ever know it was frozen. Honestly, I'm particular about milk and I can't tell which gallon we got fresh from the store and which was frozen/thawed
Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote