Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2015, 01:14 PM   #11
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

Re: What style of homeschooler are you?

I'm only doing preschool right now but I'm leaning more towards CM as well. I also really love some of the ideas and philosophies of the Montessori and Waldorf methods but don't really follow those per se. I find Montessori to be VERY expensive to get in to, if you're going to follow it strictly, even using it to homeschool. I just kind of follow some of the ideas that I like. So in the end I'd say mostly CM with some ideas I've picked from those other methods.

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2015, 04:32 PM   #12
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Largely Charlotte Mason though I guess you could say literature based is the very best description. I don't always agree with CM philosophy but find it works best for us as a whole. I'm one of those, teach a child to read and do math then give them good books and go from there.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:39 PM   #13
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Eclectic, I guess?

We use spiral math (Christian Light), lit-based LA (Learning Language Arts Through Literature), Charlotte Mason-style art (ARTisitic Pursuits), unit studies for science, computer-based music (Piano Wizard Academy), and classical history (Mystery of History) although I do not do the "classical" parts of it like memorization and stuff, just use it as a spine for narration and activities.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:03 PM   #14
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Pretty laud b as close. I get random work books but mostly we unschool, I just make sure they learn amd I meet state requirements
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:03 PM   #15
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

We're classically bent.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:26 PM   #16
Icryinbaseball
Registered Users

I am a huge bundle of things. We do Christian based though that is set in stone. But we use workbooks, unit studies, life lessons, following interests, and self lead learning. I dont stand around them all day guiding their every move. They are taught to read, given language art basics, and math basics. After that they have their books and do their own lessons. I help when I notice struggling or when asked. I also have to help the younger ones with their Science program. I throw in whatever extra is needed like holidays, events, historians......
Icryinbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:58 PM   #17
keribaar
Registered Users

My Mood:

We are doing a mostly Montessori based homeschool. Love it overall, but there is so much to wade through and digest at the get go. Love all of the hands on manipulatives. My kiddo is loving the math! Reading is harder since we started so late, but oh well.
keribaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:05 AM   #18
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Is child led an option? That's probably the most descriptive of where we are.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:21 PM   #19
goMamaMel
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by threelittlehoneys View Post
We are eclectic Charlotte Mason. Where we don't mesh with CM philosophies (or execution) we just pick and choose what appeals to us.

I also tend to really like unit studies. I shy away from a lot of workbook/worksheet stuff, although sometimes I feel I "need" it to have something tangible to show for school!

We do a lot of art, exploring different mediums and incorporating it into our other subjects' work.

I went into homeschooling with a more relaxed approach, and this has paid off for us. With life in our house being so unexpected, it has given me a foundation to come back to and remember that they learn SO MUCH from everyday life!
J- 4/2011 & E- 4/2013 & L- 6/2014 & baby #4 4/2017
goMamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:49 AM   #20
every.tribe78
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are eclectic, but mostly use Classical education with tons of Historical fiction, historical non-fiction read-alouds and some totally secular fictional books too (like The Candymaker). We work best when I create a checklist of things I know must be accomplished for that day (that is mainly the 3 R's--Reading, wRiting and aRithmetic), but that is fluid if there is something pressing (like the inauguration, or a special field trip). I want my kids to know what structure is and discipline (sometimes we have to do things in this life we don't love). But I also want to tap into their interests and see where I can incorporate them into the 3 Rs. When I can do this, we abandon workbooks. It seems that when I put the most work in on a week in planning, I get more out of it from the kids and I am not only reading from a scripted textbook. Gosh, that gets old!

Jessica
every.tribe78 is offline   Reply With Quote