Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2017, 03:35 PM   #1
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
PSA AP Exams and homeschoolers

Hi All,

Just a quick PSA about the current way the College Board is handling Advanced Placement exams for homeschoolers.

Usually the teacher will order exams needed at the test is given at the school.

Here is our experience:
1. DD called and she was told to call local schools first and she was refused any additional information.

2. I called back and I was given some numbers in the area to call along with contact people. I was told to try my local school district first.

The calling center is not in my state and it is very difficult to have them provide information especially since they are unfamiliar with my area.

3. I was turned down by most schools because they were not offering the exam. I was turned down by one school who was offering the exam but would not accommodate homeschoolers.

I guess just a warning that it might require a little leg work. They are not making it easy for us. I think I've made like seven phone calls but I have finally found a location.

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2017, 07:36 PM   #2
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Re: PSA AP Exams and homeschoolers

I'm not sure what test you mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:53 PM   #3
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
I'm not sure what test you mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advanced Placement tests are given by the the same organization that offers the PSAT and SAT.

Some colleges will give you college credit if you score well enough on the test after taking an AP course so it could potentially save you money if the college accepts it.

Two of mine took the AP Latin course. One took the American Government course but he was a bit young to take the test.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:00 PM   #4
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
Advanced Placement tests are given by the the same organization that offers the PSAT and SAT.

Some colleges will give you college credit if you score well enough on the test after taking an AP course so it could potentially save you money if the college accepts it.

Two of mine took the AP Latin course. One took the American Government course but he was a bit young to take the test.

Oh wow, that's cool. I didn't know that.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:12 PM   #5
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
Oh wow, that's cool. I didn't know that.
CLEP exams are another way to save money. Some colleges will accept certain scores and your kid can get out of taking the lower level introductory courses.

It depends on the college.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:20 PM   #6
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
CLEP exams are another way to save money. Some colleges will accept certain scores and your kid can get out of taking the lower level introductory courses.

It depends on the college.

That's wonderful. I have heard the phrase "CLEP out of a class" but wasn't entirely sure what that meant. My oldest is in first grade so we have quite a way to go. But I guess you can't start too early. Especially with 5 to put through school.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:16 PM   #7
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I did the AP english test when I was in high school. I didn't even consider it for my kids, though. I don't think my oldest would've been interested, but I should look into it. We have talked about her doing some CLEP tests, though. She is only a junior this year, so we still have time to look into it.

It is really frustrating when you get conflicting information, or you can't find somewhere to accommodate you. Good to know y'all found somewhere in the end.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:11 AM   #8
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
I did the AP english test when I was in high school. I didn't even consider it for my kids, though. I don't think my oldest would've been interested, but I should look into it. We have talked about her doing some CLEP tests, though. She is only a junior this year, so we still have time to look into it.

It is really frustrating when you get conflicting information, or you can't find somewhere to accommodate you. Good to know y'all found somewhere in the end.
It was frustrating and I wanted other moms to give themselves enough time to research their options when their time comes. It was much easier to get access to PSAT and SAT.

Their online Latin class included AP preparation this year so we figured it would be worth it to take it.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:08 AM   #9
Rockinmama24
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My daughters University doesn't accept AP or CLEP tests. My dd also had taken ECC(early college credit) classes in high school that her school doesn't take. Had she gone to our state flagship where the classes were from they would have been worth it. As is stands the AP's which she scored 4's & 5's on all and the ECC classes were just a waste of our money. I would have your child contact any school they are planning to apply to and make sure they accept the credits.
Rockinmama24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:27 AM   #10
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinmama24 View Post
My daughters University doesn't accept AP or CLEP tests. My dd also had taken ECC(early college credit) classes in high school that her school doesn't take. Had she gone to our state flagship where the classes were from they would have been worth it. As is stands the AP's which she scored 4's & 5's on all and the ECC classes were just a waste of our money. I would have your child contact any school they are planning to apply to and make sure they accept the credits.
That's why we opted not to do any Clep tests for ds. We knew those weren't accepted at the schools he was looking at. AP won't be saving us any money but it will get him into a higher level of Latin to start with.

We would be saving lots of money if he had chosen to stay local. The expensive sting of giving them choices.😜

My friend gave kids very limited choice and focused only on schools that would take all the different programs. I couldn't bring myself to do that.