Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2017, 04:57 PM   #1
featherstory
Registered Users

Homeschool Chat March

I've never even posted in this forum, but really consumed with my homeschooling right now and would love to know how others are going.

I have a K and a 3rd grader. We do a mix of discovery k12, and unschoolish, project-based, eclectic-ness.

I also have a new baby, so finding a rhythm and a flow are super important. We're doing pretty good though.

To break the pressure of spelling and encourage some creativity today the girls made up names for cities and characters in different countries based on their imagination and not on stories, movies, shows, etc. they have already seen.

I did this mostly because my 6 year old's characters are all so restricted to storylines and rules and character's she already knows but it had an unexpected affect on my 3rd grader.

She felt really liberated being able to make up how the names are spelled for herself!

Advertisement

featherstory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:12 PM   #2
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homeschool Chat March

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherstory View Post
I've never even posted in this forum, but really consumed with my homeschooling right now and would love to know how others are going.

I have a K and a 3rd grader. We do a mix of discovery k12, and unschoolish, project-based, eclectic-ness.

I also have a new baby, so finding a rhythm and a flow are super important. We're doing pretty good though.

To break the pressure of spelling and encourage some creativity today the girls made up names for cities and characters in different countries based on their imagination and not on stories, movies, shows, etc. they have already seen.

I did this mostly because my 6 year old's characters are all so restricted to storylines and rules and character's she already knows but it had an unexpected affect on my 3rd grader.

She felt really liberated being able to make up how the names are spelled for herself!
That sounds like so much fun. That sounds like something my second youngest would be really into.

We are lagging right now due to illness. My youngest is picking up more and more every day which was a concern when we started this year.

I'm trying to strike a balance between not stifling ds creativity and getting basics done. It's a back and forth dance.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:00 PM   #3
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

We are surviving. Lots of struggles this past year when I started working part time, and then we added in a co-op for ODD. Things are changing again soon, as I'm leaving where I'm working and doing something else.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:55 AM   #4
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

We have been having ups and downs since Christmas. One day I think we are doing great and then the next day we can't get anything done. Next year I am putting my high schooler in Acellus just because with his work schedule teaching is becoming difficult, and then I am just doing unit studies. I am looking forward to a more simple system.
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:56 AM   #5
R055ANA
Registered Users

featherstory, thank you for starting this thread. Congrats on the new baby!! Definitely have to allow for some time to let things settle and adjust to the new normal. Do your girls do their writing assignments together? Glad the idea worked so well. I really like what you did with encouraging so much creativity with writing the story with the made up spellings of the cities and character names.
tallanvor, sorry to hear about how rough this year has been for all of you. Hoping things work out better when you switch jobs and your DD goes to the co-op.
Missydawn,sorry to hear about your going through days of doubt.
We have 4 daughters. My ODD decided to go to high school but the other 3 girls are home. I get into LOTS of struggles with my 12 yr old. She fights me all the time and I know she will say stuff just to get on my nerves and not because she believes it. I have her do read alouds and when I catch a mistake I will ask her to correct it. If she gets an ending wrong I want her to reread it correctly. She will often tell me it doesn't matter. Well, it does. If I read the word calmly instead of calming that does make a difference in the sentence and she hopefully knows that. Many days I just want to get her to go to school and see if she does better with that. Really I doubt she would do better but I am SO tired of the battles.

Last edited by R055ANA; 03-10-2017 at 10:59 AM. Reason: typos
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:42 AM   #6
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

We've been battling it out with DS too. Acellus was brought up?!?! I had never heard of it, until last week when someone suggested it. We started him with that. He likes it, and he works on his own. I ended up ordering their "textbook tablet" that only has the capabilities to work on Acellus lessons. No hovering for me, and no worries with DS drifting off to Internet browsing...or on the iPad...Minecraft.

The girls have been fairly easy. But I remember oldest dd going through a tough school year a couple of years ago. Hopefully it's just a phase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2017, 12:04 PM   #7
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missydawn View Post
We have been having ups and downs since Christmas. One day I think we are doing great and then the next day we can't get anything done. Next year I am putting my high schooler in Acellus just because with his work schedule teaching is becoming difficult, and then I am just doing unit studies. I am looking forward to a more simple system.
I just took a look at that and it looks very interesting. My dd needs Chemistry and that might be a good back up plan for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R055ANA View Post
featherstory, thank you for starting this thread. Congrats on the new baby!! Definitely have to allow for some time to let things settle and adjust to the new normal. Do your girls do their writing assignments together? Glad the idea worked so well. I really like what you did with encouraging so much creativity with writing the story with the made up spellings of the cities and character names.
tallanvor, sorry to hear about how rough this year has been for all of you. Hoping things work out better when you switch jobs and your DD goes to the co-op.
Missydawn,sorry to hear about your going through days of doubt.
We have 4 daughters. My ODD decided to go to high school but the other 3 girls are home. I get into LOTS of struggles with my 12 yr old. She fights me all the time and I know she will say stuff just to get on my nerves and not because she believes it. I have her do read alouds and when I catch a mistake I will ask her to correct it. If she gets an ending wrong I want her to reread it correctly. She will often tell me it doesn't matter. Well, it does. If I read the word calmly instead of calming that does make a difference in the sentence and she hopefully knows that. Many days I just want to get her to go to school and see if she does better with that. Really I doubt she would do better but I am SO tired of the battles.
Can you take a break? I was at my wits end yesterday because everyone is cranky from being sick and they were well enough to work but everything was a fight. I wen tout for a bit with my dh and that seemed to work wonders for my mood and we had a better day.

There are ages where they do test.

My oldest two are going to school this year. I'm not happy about it for my 13 year old. He is thoroughly enjoying it but academically I know he can do so much more. Still he is such a social being that I need to recognize that part of him too.

We compromised and next year he is taking one online course at home with us, taking Latin with his sister (she has turned into quite the Latin teacher) and the rest he can do at school. He was looking at me like a deer in the headlights when I first approached him about taking more classes at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsaremyheart View Post
We've been battling it out with DS too. Acellus was brought up?!?! I had never heard of it, until last week when someone suggested it. We started him with that. He likes it, and he works on his own. I ended up ordering their "textbook tablet" that only has the capabilities to work on Acellus lessons. No hovering for me, and no worries with DS drifting off to Internet browsing...or on the iPad...Minecraft.

The girls have been fairly easy. But I remember oldest dd going through a tough school year a couple of years ago. Hopefully it's just a phase.

I need to look into this more. Does it require an ipad?
Old 03-10-2017, 12:20 PM   #8
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
I just took a look at that and it looks very interesting. My dd needs Chemistry and that might be a good back up plan for us.

Can you take a break? I was at my wits end yesterday because everyone is cranky from being sick and they were well enough to work but everything was a fight. I wen tout for a bit with my dh and that seemed to work wonders for my mood and we had a better day.

There are ages where they do test.

My oldest two are going to school this year. I'm not happy about it for my 13 year old. He is thoroughly enjoying it but academically I know he can do so much more. Still he is such a social being that I need to recognize that part of him too.

We compromised and next year he is taking one online course at home with us, taking Latin with his sister (she has turned into quite the Latin teacher) and the rest he can do at school. He was looking at me like a deer in the headlights when I first approached him about taking more classes at home.

I need to look into this more. Does it require an ipad?

Right now DS is on the computer. I have the app on my phone. I see what lessons he accomplished, current grades, live monitor ( I can see what he is working on live). It's easy to start, and change lessons if something is not working. It's only been a week, so I can't really give it a review. The tablet I ordered from them is a locked tablet. So it will only be used for Acellus. I like that. He can go to his room and work quietly if he wants. But we'll see, it hasn't come in the mail yet.

I still plan on working with him with writing and math. Just alternate every other day.

What do you use for Latin? I started this year, and quit. We had to work through core subjects....sigh. On the plus side, DS loves the Spanish course he chose on Acellus! I'm hoping we can at least move on. This year has been a drag.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:10 PM   #9
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

We used Lingua Latina at first. Then Henle Latin.
Their online instructors through Catholic homeschool programs have been amazing.
I'm enrolling 2 in online Spanish 3 for next year.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:07 PM   #10
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
We used Lingua Latina at first. Then Henle Latin.
Their online instructors through Catholic homeschool programs have been amazing.
I'm enrolling 2 in online Spanish 3 for next year.

Thank you, I'll look into that. I think dd would enjoy it.