Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-06-2017, 10:48 PM   #11
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Back to School Chat!

We are finishing up week two with our younger one and week one with our oldest. My oldest is pretty much independent minus me having to say get to work... She is officially in high school now taking 2 classes through the college and the rest with online based curricula. SHe biggest struggle is with time mangement and staying on task.
My younger is doing Seton Home study we did it last year as well and honestly hope to just keep her in the program till she graduates. This year so far is going really well. for her.

Advertisement

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:24 AM   #12
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Chirpy, are the problems something we can help with?

Agla, confidence is such a huge part of it. ODD decided years ago that she can't do math, but she's not nearly as bad at it as she seems to think, and I've spent years trying to convince her of that. But, it is the one subject that she has to work at.
I'm trying to get him to be more accepting that he will get there eventually. He's reading words on his own but if I walked over and asked him to read the same word he would freeze.

Taking it slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZmommy View Post
We are finishing up week two with our younger one and week one with our oldest. My oldest is pretty much independent minus me having to say get to work... She is officially in high school now taking 2 classes through the college and the rest with online based curricula. SHe biggest struggle is with time mangement and staying on task.
My younger is doing Seton Home study we did it last year as well and honestly hope to just keep her in the program till she graduates. This year so far is going really well. for her.
My friend's kids really like Seton, another friend's kid graduated recently and is off to college soon.

My eldest's biggest struggle has always been time management. He's at college now and we are still worried about that.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:51 AM   #13
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Chirpy, are the problems something we can help with?

Agla, confidence is such a huge part of it. ODD decided years ago that she can't do math, but she's not nearly as bad at it as she seems to think, and I've spent years trying to convince her of that. But, it is the one subject that she has to work at.

The problem with DD is her handwriting. She has always had this problem but I thought it would have gotten better by now. She doesn't have much strength in her hands. She tires really easily when writing and can barely hold the pencil by the end of the school day. She can't press down hard enough after she gets tired. Also, her letters are not very neat. I have seen her try super hard and the letters still don't come out well.

She enjoys writing and drawing and does so when she is playing. She has practiced the entire school year last year and even before that. We started cursive last year. I don't know what else to do. She is 7 and in 2nd grade.

The problem with DS is that he isn't reading on the level this new curriculum wants him to. That's not his fault, though, we just didn't get that far last year because we were using a different program. So we need to drop back and catch him up. He is in first grade.

I think our new curriculum (Memoria Press) is great but the reading level is advanced in my opinion. Which is no problem for DD. And it shouldn't be a problem once DS gets to the level they are on.
MamaChirpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:52 AM   #14
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

For those needing something for grammar and literature, Memoria Press has different packages for different subjects.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:38 PM   #15
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
The problem with DD is her handwriting. She has always had this problem but I thought it would have gotten better by now. She doesn't have much strength in her hands. She tires really easily when writing and can barely hold the pencil by the end of the school day. She can't press down hard enough after she gets tired. Also, her letters are not very neat. I have seen her try super hard and the letters still don't come out well.

She enjoys writing and drawing and does so when she is playing. She has practiced the entire school year last year and even before that. We started cursive last year. I don't know what else to do. She is 7 and in 2nd grade.

The problem with DS is that he isn't reading on the level this new curriculum wants him to. That's not his fault, though, we just didn't get that far last year because we were using a different program. So we need to drop back and catch him up. He is in first grade.

I think our new curriculum (Memoria Press) is great but the reading level is advanced in my opinion. Which is no problem for DD. And it shouldn't be a problem once DS gets to the level they are on.

Have you looked into doing some strength exercises? Or, break up her day? Less writing overall? I don't know. I'm sure it will get better as she gets older and does more, but just trying to think of something that would help now.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:23 PM   #16
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Have you looked into doing some strength exercises? Or, break up her day? Less writing overall? I don't know. I'm sure it will get better as she gets older and does more, but just trying to think of something that would help now.

Our day is already very broken up. And honestly, even if I did find some exercises, I have no idea how I would remember to tell her to do them.

Both of your suggestions are great. I just don't know how to fit anything else into our packed day.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:27 PM   #17
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post

A few ideas, One, start with a fatter pencil or a think pencil grip. Two, lots of play dough, stringing beads, using tweezers to pick up objects, cutting different things, etc. The more fine motor movement she gets the better her handwriting will become.

We had two appointments today and a trip to Walmart to make plus get school in. Not a fun day with a mad four year old. No clue what he was mad about but he was not having it. But all in all we got it all done including the pine cone bird feeders. I hope it warms up some for the birds to come back out or our bird journals are going to look very bare.
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:43 PM   #18
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missydawn View Post
A few ideas, One, start with a fatter pencil or a think pencil grip. Two, lots of play dough, stringing beads, using tweezers to pick up objects, cutting different things, etc. The more fine motor movement she gets the better her handwriting will become.

We had two appointments today and a trip to Walmart to make plus get school in. Not a fun day with a mad four year old. No clue what he was mad about but he was not having it. But all in all we got it all done including the pine cone bird feeders. I hope it warms up some for the birds to come back out or our bird journals are going to look very bare.
We are bird journaling too and we need to get some feeders made too.

We switched to the fat pencils and that has helped ds. You would think it would be easier to handle a thinner pencil but for him the thicker one gave him more control.

My dd has asked to take over Latin with my second oldest. She's turning into quite the Latin teacher so I'm totally fine with it.

I need to pick up a sketch book for ds.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:45 PM   #19
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
We are bird journaling too and we need to get some feeders made too.

We switched to the fat pencils and that has helped ds. You would think it would be easier to handle a thinner pencil but for him the thicker one gave him more control.

My dd has asked to take over Latin with my second oldest. She's turning into quite the Latin teacher so I'm totally fine with it.

I need to pick up a sketch book for ds.

Lucky, none of my kids want to really teach each other anything. Their idea of teaching is telling everyone what they know and how the other doesn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:02 PM   #20
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missydawn View Post
Lucky, none of my kids want to really teach each other anything. Their idea of teaching is telling everyone what they know and how the other doesn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My oldest two would help. My middle not so much and he'd probably annoy them too much.