Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2018, 01:02 PM   #1
abmoyer
Registered Users

Decision to homeschool

Iím curious what are some main factors that help folks make the decision to homeschool. Our boys are 5 and 2 and currently enrolled in a preschool but the tuition is costly. Weíre trying to decide which school to enroll the oldest in for kinder and Iím recently not working. Iím wondering if homeschooling might be right for us and until recently wasnít even an option but now we could possibly make it doable. Thanks for your help!

Advertisement

abmoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:15 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Decision to homeschool

Control over curriculum
Less negative social influence
We move, so consistency in schooling
Move at child's pace
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:42 PM   #3
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

I want my children educated in many, many subjects that aren't typically taught in schools anymore.

I want control over our schedules and lives, not ruled by someone else's schedule. I don't like the schedules used by schools at all.

I don't want my children influenced by children from the general population. More often than not, we don't share the same values.

I love my children and want to be with them. They are fun! And we don't have long together.

The number one reason is that I want my children grounded in our faith. We are Christians and Christ is Lord of our lives. We need every second to teach them that and to guide them in developing their own authentic faith before journeying out into the world.
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:17 PM   #4
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I share all the reasons tallanvor and Chirpy listed, minus the moving.

In addition to the influence of other children (and the peer oriented mentality), there's a lot coming from the adults as well. The character goals I have for my children would not be achieved with the methods schools use here and now. Same with my educational goals.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:31 PM   #5
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

There are lots of good reasons to homeschool, but it isn't right for everyone. We are currently homeschooling one of our school-age children and have three in public school, not because we didn't want to homeschool but because we prayed about it and felt that public school is where they need to be right now. Every child is different and so is every situation. We have lived in places with excellent charter schools that were a great fit for our kids, and we currently live in a small community with a wonderful local public elementary school and decent junior high (where my son has great friends). I feel strongly that if we are prayerful, God will guide us to do what is best for our children.