Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-25-2007, 12:32 PM   #1
kimsansf
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
do you use SBish flats?

if so, how? do you fold them and use em on their own or use them as stuffers for pockets? Im considering moving away from the microfiber inserts, and Ive read some people like flats as inserts b/c the fast dry time. Do you do this? and if so, how have you found the absorbency?

Advertisement

kimsansf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:42 PM   #2
kitscha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: do you use SBish flats?

I think they're too pretty to use as in insert.

I use mine just like a prefold, Snappi and all. Then cover with a wool soaker.

If you just want hemp inserts, there are probably more utilitarian ones to buy - though I guess with a hemp flat you're getting some flexibility of use, so it's not a bad idea.

That said, regular old cotton prefolds work great as pocket inserts, and they're inexpensive. You might find you want to show off your SBish, not hide them away.
kitscha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:46 PM   #3
kimsansf
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitscha View Post
If you just want hemp inserts, there are probably more utilitarian ones to buy - though I guess with a hemp flat you're getting some flexibility of use, so it's not a bad idea.

That said, regular old cotton prefolds work great as pocket inserts, and they're inexpensive. You might find you want to show off your SBish, not hide them away.
Well I like the flexibility, and currently i do use prefolds sometimes as inserts, but Im thinking I might love the fast drytime of a flat. My other inserts/doublers/prefolds (other than the microfiber ones) take so long to dry, especially the hemp ovals and hemp doublers.... Id love to have a set of inserts that are both a natural fiber and dry faster....
kimsansf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:29 PM   #4
rebeccah5
Behold: The Official Thread-Killer
seller

My Mood:

I thought that SBish flats were really more like PFs?
Check out my knitting projects here and my stash here
rebeccah5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:32 PM   #5
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Try the cotton "prefolds" in the walmart auto section, they dry fast and are super absorbant.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:36 PM   #6
kitscha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well the SBish are like prefolds in their sizing, but they don't have added thickness in the middle like a prefold - they're two layers thick across the whole thing. So they're slower to dry than a flat, but faster than a prefold.

Depending on what size your got, they could work well inside a pocket. (I have large, and think it would be too bulky, but smalls and mediums might be fine - maybe someone else will chime in about this.) And you're right, it would cut down on drying time. Mine dry in one dryer cycle, though I usually hang them up to air out for a few hours.

Try one and see!
kitscha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:01 PM   #7
mum2James&Julia
Registered Users
Formerly: mum2James&Bean
seller

My Mood:

We use our SBish flats as we do prefolds, trifolded in a cover as well as trifolded into a pocket. They are the PERFECT flat. All my dd needs overnight is a trifolded sbish flat in a pocket and she's totally good to go. My son too, if I can catch him before his morning flood. Though, I still haven't found a diaper combination that doesn't leak for that morning pee. He's so close to PT'ing it's not worth it to me to go on a real search.

hth!
Old 11-25-2007, 02:02 PM   #8
mum2James&Julia
Registered Users
Formerly: mum2James&Bean
seller

My Mood:

ps. my ds uses a medium flat in m/l pockets, my dd uses a small flat in medium pockets