Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-11-2018, 08:22 PM   #1
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Knitting: does binding off add height

I'm making a 9x7 knitted square, standard knit stitch then turn and purl stitch. It's almost to height, I need one more row. Will the bind off "row" add height?

Advertisement

Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:25 PM   #2
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Re: Knitting: does binding off add height

I don't think so... For me it seems to just suck in tight, but I'm a relatively novice knitter

I would add a row and then bind off.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:34 AM   #3
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Thanks! It's weird that googling didn't give me this answer! Though I have read that when you measure you should measure until middle of your hook, which makes me wonder if that is the bit that is added by the bind off?

I just assume its hard to take apart once binded though I'm sure if the size is a smidge off it'll still work.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers
Old 10-12-2018, 01:33 PM   #4
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Since i ended on a knit row, I decided to do one more purl, then did a cast off, but it did as you said and was WAY too tight and it added more height that I am looking for. So I have taken it out and I found this video to watch. I haven't focused on it yet but she is talking about 2 problems I am having with casting off so I hope she'll help with fix them. She also mentions getting the edges neater so may have to look into that more too.

This is literally my first completed Knit/purl square so I am very new, overall I think it looks okay though. I also have a completed all knit stitch square that looks pretty horrible and very loose tension.

Last edited by Pixi6s; 10-12-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:45 PM   #5
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Generally the pattern will tell you the measurement it should be *before* casting off. The cast off row lays flat across the edge, and I'd estimate that any increase in length due to the width of the yarn strand will be negated by the loss of pull on the previous row, if that makes sense. In any case if you are making say, a blanket with a bunch of squares, as long as you keep your method consistent throughout all the squares they will come out the same size as each other and you'll be good to go. Congrats on finishing your first piece!!
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote