Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-14-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
christiantech1
Registered Users
seller

A few Qs from a newbie...

Hey all I am really new to this but am excited to get started!
So here are my questions!

1) Why are fitted diapers often stylish, don't you need to use a cover with them? THis may be silly but I am SO confused. It was my understanding that pocket and AIOs or AI2s are the only ones that don't need covers, is that correct?

2) I have purchased some pockets so far and am going to purchase some of every type to find out what I need. BUT what type of accessories do I need? As far as a pail is concerned just a covered trash can? and can I use just regular trash bags? Do I need a toilet sprayer? Is Melaleuca detergent ok? What other supplies do I need? UGH!!! this is so much!

THank you so much for your help!

Advertisement

christiantech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:40 PM   #2
MandyLee
Registered Users
seller

Re: A few Qs from a newbie...

1) Why are fitted diapers often stylish, don't you need to use a cover with them? THis may be silly but I am SO confused. It was my understanding that pocket and AIOs or AI2s are the only ones that don't need covers, is that correct?

This confused me for a long time too. If you're using a good, absorbant fitted you can go coverless. We go coverless at home a lot. It allows the bum to air out, and a lot of fitteds can hold a few pees before feeling very wet on the outside. You have to experiment with different brands before you find what works for you. Even if/when you cover them, you know they're cute!

2) I have purchased some pockets so far and am going to purchase some of every type to find out what I need. BUT what type of accessories do I need? As far as a pail is concerned just a covered trash can? and can I use just regular trash bags? Do I need a toilet sprayer? Is Melaleuca detergent ok? What other supplies do I need? UGH!!! this is so much!

I use a covered trash can as a diaper pail. I use a pail liner, like Whammies. Lots of cloth diaper stores sell liners. You can throw your diapers and liner all in the wash. It's nice to have two liners so that you have one to use while the other is washing. A toilet sprayer is nice, but not a necessity. I've never heard of Melaleuca detergent. I use Purex F&C and don't have any problems. As far as other supplies, you'll probably want a wet bag for your diaper bag, a couple snappis and/or pins if you're using prefolds, cloth wipes (if you're planning to use them), cloth diaper safe diaper cream (I like Northern Essence). That's all I can think of, but I'm sure some other mama's will have some good ideas for you too.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:46 PM   #3
LittleBoppers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mandy gave you good answers.

I just wanted to add that people like cute stylish fitted diapers (that have to be covered up by a waterproof cover) for the same reason they like to wear cute underwear even though it is covered by clothes. And it just makes diaper changes more fun! Especially when your baby gets old enough to pick out their next diaper. My dd loves to do this!
Old 09-14-2007, 10:07 PM   #4
Bunny
Be strong little marshmallow.
Formerly: s**e**h
seller

I use a regular diaper pail w/ an old pillowcase as a liner. The whole thing gets (awkwardly) tossed into my FL.
Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:14 PM   #5
luvmykiddoes
COOP HOSTESS
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiantech1 View Post
Hey all I am really new to this but am excited to get started!
So here are my questions!

Some people don't use covers with their fitteds and just watch the child closely for diaper changes. Otherwise they do need a cover.

2) I have purchased some pockets so far and am going to purchase some of every type to find out what I need. BUT what type of accessories do I need?

I would get a diaper sprayer. Or, if you shower is close to the toilet you can get a detachable shower head and just reach it over the toilet to spray off the poopies. It's much cheaper that way too.

As far as a pail is concerned just a covered trash can? and can I use just regular trash bags?

I just use a trash can that I bought at walmart. It has a spring hinged lid that pops up at the press of a button. My goal is to go to costco or sams and get the trash can that you can just wave your hand in front of and it open for you. That would be nice. I would suggest getting a wetbag to store dirty diapers.

Is Melaleuca detergent ok?

This detergent is not recommended for diapers. www.pinstripesandplokadots.com has great info on detergents to use.

What other supplies do I need? UGH!!! this is so much!

THank you so much for your help!
Have fun with cloth!

luvmykiddoes is offline   Reply With Quote