Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2008, 11:15 PM   #1
cakeums
Registered Users
Formerly: mn***r
seller

My Mood:
A few questions about toddler poo stains.

I just switched detergents from All F&C (still what we use on our clothes) to Biokleen's detergent because it has GSE and DD tends to be yeasty. I also pretreated any poo stains with Bac-out, but didn't let it soak. Well, my diapers rinsed SO clean compared to using AF&C, and I can actually feel a difference on the wet diapers (they don't feel like they have any residue), but the poo stains are still there! We just got back into cloth and this was my first load of wash, and the longest a dipe had been in the pail was maybe 36 hours, so it's not like the stains had a long time to set. The stains are on a couple of PF's. There was a BG OS that was pooped in, but there is no stain.

First off, could it be the switch in detergent? I have never had poo stains like this, just a few faint ones that faded in a few washes. I don't want to switch back to AF&C if the Biokleen is rinsing clean. The true test will be if her diapers still stink after sitting in the pail for an hour or two.

Second, will toddler poo stains sun out, or does that only really work for EBF poo? And do you need to have a lot of sun or does just the exposure to light outside work?

Third, should I treat stains with Bac-out as soon as the diaper is dirty? Maybe this will help with the stains?

Fourth, should I get a diaper sprayer or see if my dad can make me one? Will that help keep the stains away?

I just hate having stained diapers! I am usually so meticulous about it and I've never had stains like this!

Advertisement

cakeums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:01 AM   #2
shreck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: A few questions about toddler poo stains.

I'm meticulous about stains too. Here's what I do, and we never have stained diapers out of the washer. I deal with toddler poop almost daily too, since my potty trained 2 1/2yo likes to save it up and go during her nap, lol.

Any poops get sprayed off immediately with the diaper sprayer. I can't recommend a diaper sprayer highly enough. It not only keeps the diapers stain free, but it keeps them free of stink and the pail fresher.

The rinsed off dipe goes in the dry pail till wash day, every 2 days or so.

I do a cold rinse, long hot wash with small amt of Tide, extra rinse, and tumble dry.

Never, ever any stains, and I contribute it mostly to the sprayer. My kiddos almost never have ploppable poops, so a sprayer saved my sanity. I just can't deal with letting poop sit in the pail, so before the sprayer I was a dunker/swisher/scrubber.. eww. No more. LOVE my sprayer!!
shreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:08 AM   #3
cakeums
Registered Users
Formerly: mn***r
seller

My Mood:

I do the same wash routine except for the different detergent. DD has sensitive skin though. We have a lot of asthma in our family so I've used AF&C since before she was born, on all of our laundry, since I've read that cutting out fragrances and color can help prevent or lessen asthma/eczema/allergies. Now the smell of scented detergent makes me ill, LOL! The Biokleen is scented, but with natural ingredients so it isn't as powerful and I don't worry about irritation to DD.

Looks like I'm going to have to get a sprayer!
cakeums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:27 AM   #4
shreck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Even though I love Tide, I can use other detergents too and still get stain free diapers. Ammonia stink is another thing. Tide or a bit of bleach added to another detergent is the only thing I've found that really prevents ammonia morning diapers. I just love Tide, because it works well enough that I never have to use bleach. I'm fortunate that no one here is sensitive to it.

I think you'll love a sprayer! I got mine off ebay, and it's been a good one.
shreck is offline   Reply With Quote