Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
A few questions about GMD prefolds and other stuff...

Okay, here goes. Hopefully I don't have TOO many questions in this post! I have a great stash of softbums and pods/inserts but after my post yesterday about containing the NB EBF poo, I think I want to try some GMD prefolds with a cover. So....

1. My first 2 kids were 8.7lbs and 7.15lbs at birth. By 6 weeks they were about 11lbs. I'm guessing this baby will be about the same. So, should I get a dozen of the orange and a dozen of the yellow? Or, should I just stick with a couple dozen of the orange, as I can probably use them under my softbum shells, too. I was planning to attemmpt the jelly-roll to help with containment at first. Can I use them in a tri-fold fashion later, even if they go above the weight listed? I know I can always use them as a burp rag or doubler or something. And I know they have great resale value, too.

2. do the thirsties duo have the gussets? I know the Bummis super brite do. I plan on getting 2 wipe-clean covers. Should I get the Bummis super brite (which I am leaning towards) Should I get more than 2? And what size? Should I get newborn or small? I have a feeling we might start out at that inbetween stage.

3. are the pail liners waterproof? Does it matter?

4. has anyone used any of the products for creating a wipes solution, or the Grovia stick for rash prevention?

I think that's it...for now...Thanks so much! Everyone here has ALWAYS kindly answered all my questions. I feel like I am already obsessed with CDing and I haven't even started yet!

Advertisement

carolineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
mamaratliff
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: A few questions about GMD prefolds and other stuff...

If you can swing both orange and yellow, than I saw do it! You just can't go wrong with a great fitting pf
Old 12-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #3
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If your lo's are usually pretty small, I would start with 2-3 doz nb size prefolds. My las ds was 7lbs 2oz and the nb's were huge at first. He wore them for about 2 months. After that you can always use them as doublers or burp rags.

Thirsties huge gussets, but they may be big. I had the xs Thirsties and they were also huge. You dont need to have gussets for nb poo either - covers without gussets work fine as long as they fit right. Im not sure how often you plan to use prefolds, but I recommend at least 8-10 covers for the nb stage. You will go through alot the first weeks. I would try to get nb or xs size covers for sure.

Pail liners are waterproof and you will need them to be. They are lined with pul which helps keep the yuckies in.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #4
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

I would get some of both. My LO was 10 lbs at birth and fit right into the yellows snappied. She is 16 lbs now (6 months old) and I can still snappi them, but its getting a little snug, so I'm moving up to reds. The yellow edge still fits her perfect tri-folded into any cover.

and yes, the pail liners are waterproof!
Old 12-09-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
Bastetti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: A few questions about GMD prefolds and other stuff...

I haven't had a newborn in cloth dipes yet (we started at 5 mos with DD #1), so I can't answer the first few questions, but I can kind of answer the last one. Wipes solution - for awhile, I was using wipes cubes (don't know what brand, they were a free sample I got when I ordered some dipes), but I now make my own with stuff that I already have around the house. I like this because I know exactly what's in it and I don't have to worry about if I don't have enough in the house. To 2 cups of water, I add about a tablespoon of baking soda, a couple tablespoons of coconut oil (can substitute olive oil or baby oil as well), a few drops of either tea tree oil or lavender essential oil and a squirt of baby wash. I usually boil the water in the microwave when I make this, just to make it combine better. I keep this in a spray bottle on my changing table and a peri bottle in my diaper bag. The mixture works great on my DD's super-sensitive eczema skin. As to diaper rash creams, I usually use some of the coconut oil, or I have recently discovered CJ's BUTTer stick. It's really great, and a no-mess application
Old 12-09-2010, 03:51 PM   #6
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

If you are expecting a similarly sized newborn, I would skip the newborn and go straight to yellows or try the small flats instead.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:15 PM   #7
JLea
Registered Users
seller

I primarily use pf's and have since ds was born. I vote get some orange edges even if it's just a dozen. They're just going to fit better for the first few weeks IMO.

Thirsties duo's have the double gussets and are great. I can't say the smallest setting is any different than xs thirsties. I had 2 bummis super brites nb size that I loved initially for the nb prefolds. Since then its been only thirsties duos for us!

Even when ds grew out of the orange edge we had to fold down the yellow so I would imagine yellow on a newbie would be quite bulky. I have 2 dozen of each size. We're on yellow now and I still use the orange for burp cloths, laying on the changing pad, and stuffing my pockets!

As for pail liners...yes they're waterproof. I got a couple from GMD and have had issues with them. I've since gotten 2 planet wise liners and love these! And as for wipes solution...we tried the kissaluvs potion stuff and I got aggravated with the mixing and felt like we were going through it too fast. I found I like wet wipes anyway so we just use water and a little baby soap on ours!

Good luck and I hope this helps!

ETA: Oh yeah...the jelly roll or a modified jelly roll is ahhhmazing! It's all we use...even with flats!

Last edited by JLea; 12-09-2010 at 09:22 PM.
JLea is offline   Reply With Quote