Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-28-2008, 09:47 PM   #1
icanonlyimagine
Theres a Scent for that!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
a few questions

how often do you wash your diapers? do you wash your wetbag every time?
what is stripping?

I wash about every other day, is that enough? I have enough diapers in my stash to wash every day to every other day depending on how often she pees, or if I decide to put a sposie on. however the diapers she wet yesterday morning just came out of the dryer still stinking of pee... what am I doing wrong?

Advertisement

Old 12-28-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
Midwife@heart
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: a few questions

I wash every 2 to 3 days, sometimes 4. I wash the wetbag and diaper pail every time too.

If they are stinking like pee you might be using too much detergent.

Could you explain your washing routine?
Midwife@heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:07 PM   #3
icanonlyimagine
Theres a Scent for that!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

hm.... a routine? like what? I put the soap in the washer and the diapers and let them wash... should I be doing somthing else? should I be rinsing pee diapers as well? cause I just put those in the wetbag and wash them
Old 12-28-2008, 10:10 PM   #4
Midwife@heart
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You should be putting all your soiled diapers (pee and poop) in the washer and doing a cold wash w/out detergent. That helps get rid of all the pee and leftover poop. Then a hot wash w/ very little detergent, about a tbsp. or two. Then cold rinses until there are no more bubbles in the water.

What detergent are you using?
Midwife@heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:44 PM   #5
ibenchu
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wash my diapers about every other day or every two days. I do not wash the wetbag every time, as it doesn't need it, and I don't want the print to fade. In the summer I lay it outside though and let the sun kill off all the bacteria and stinkies.

You could try bac out in your initial cold rinse. Just put 1-2 capfuls in the cold rinse, let the diapers sit in the washer for about 10 minutes and then do your hot wash. I don't know, just an idea........
ibenchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:30 PM   #6
icanonlyimagine
Theres a Scent for that!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

ok so run the washer on cold with no soap, then wash with little soap on hot? and that should be my normal routine?

I have been just washing a regular load of diapers with regular scoop of soap on warm, I'm sure that is why theres a smell... however only a couple dapers smell still, and this is the first time. and I dont wanna say the kind of soap I use I just use what the IL's buy which is usually either surf or arm and hammer
Old 12-29-2008, 11:43 PM   #7
KingsDaughter76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do not wash my wetbag everytime... I do a cold pre-rinse with nothing and then do a full hot wash with the normal amount of detergent with one final extra cold rinse. I have personally found that if I get stinky dipes it is either from not using enough detergent to really get them clean- and also I have thru the years discovered that most non-100% cotton dipes are just harder to get clean and get them to release the stink smell- like other types of materials that are not cotton just hang onto stink. Thats what made me give up all my Fuzzi bunz etc... they just held stink! Now I stick to cotton dipes and have no problems.
Kellina ~Wife to a Cowboy & Christian Homeschooling Mama to 9 kids and YES we would love to have more! Expecting baby #10!! EDD January 2017!
Forever missing my 7 m/c babies now safe in the arms of Jesus EARN Amazon giftcards for FREE!! Click to sign up for SWAGBUCKS!!
KingsDaughter76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:49 PM   #8
icanonlyimagine
Theres a Scent for that!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

out of the few bg's I have along with the rest are fleece/microfiber/flannel fitteds the only ones that stink right now are the fitteds and only 2 of them out of the whole load I washed... I will wash another load tomorrow with this new routine and see what happens
Old 12-30-2008, 12:17 AM   #9
babysweetbottoms
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Also in you new laundry routine make sure you only put in about 1/4 of the scoop of detergent. I used to put too much at first and it would give my LO rashes. I would recommend that if you buy detergent at supermarket to try to buy one that says Free & Clear because it has less chemicals in it. I use All Free & Clear and it works great for me. Hope you get the smell out.
Oh also I heard soaking your inserts in vinegar does a really good job of eliminating the odor!
Selling fitteds here and pockets here. For beautiful wool yarn click here.
babysweetbottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:49 AM   #10
momof4girls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wash every 4 days. Here is my wash routine:
cold cycle with vinegar and baking soda
hot wash with teeny Purex or All Free and Clear
cold cycle with vinegar.

About once a month, I wash with dawn instead of detergent. May have to do a 2nd cold cycle.
No smellys here at all. Well that and I sun everytime I wash.
CDing, sometimes BWing & , , selective/delayed vaxing, SAHM. Trying to talk DH into TTC baby #5.
momof4girls is offline   Reply With Quote