Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2009, 08:44 AM   #1
bfuzzy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
A few questions about mama cloth

Ok I want to make the switch now that I am having my period again.

My main questions are:

How do you figure out how many to purchase?

What are everyones favorites and why?

Spam is welcomed

Thanks

Advertisement

Old 10-07-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
MadeOfStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: A few questions about mama cloth

How many: Depends on how often you are washing. I have 12 total (some regular and some liners) but really don't ever use that many since I am doing diaper laundry every other day and throw them in with that wash. If you are not doing laundry that often, I would get more (like 16 maybe?).

Fave kind: My whole stash is Domino pads from HC. Bamboo velour outside, fleese under, snaps to secure them. She even dyes now (I dyed all mine).
C, wife to T (4-1-06), mama to M (11-18-07), TTC #2
ISO
MadeOfStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:24 AM   #3
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My favorite are the FB mama pads... so soft! I have some new but didn't put them on the site yet. PM me if you are interested!

Ds1 2004 ~ Ds2 2005 ~ Dd1 2008 ~ Ds3 2010 ~ Dd2 2014
Why you shouldn't circumcise your son
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:36 AM   #4
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

I just started using MC a few months ago. I started with a sampler pack and traded for some WAHM made ones. I used those to help gauge how many I would need and what sizes would be best for me. I'm still trying to figure things out, but right now I have about 15 of varying absorbancies and sizes and am waiting on a few more that should come in the mail.

I have found that I prefer MC with OBV/OCV tops with a fleece backing, no PUL. I really like the pads from Homestead Emporium. They are in Canada, but I have found their shipping to be very quick. The pads come in a wide variety of sizes which I like b/c I need some of the bigger ones which can be hard to find. I also just got a sampler from Little Luxuries Mama Cloth which I am liking, but she is shut down for a while due to being on bedrest.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

How do you figure out how many to purchase?

You might start with a dozen of different lengths and absorbencies (heavy, regular, light for instance) and try them out and see if you need any more. Some people like to change frequently (like me) and also wash frequently. Others like to not have to do laundry but maybe a couple times a week so in that case you'd need more.

What are everyones favorites and why?

I make some that I really love; I love them because they are all cotton except for the fleece backing, and the entire soaker is made of recycled materials. They are super comfy and work great.

SPAM: I have free shipping on any pads (anything actually) in stock right now and on custom orders of Diamond Pads up to a dozen. My WAHM thread GEM Cloth - Mama Pads, Diapers & Family Reusables or my website: http://gemcloth.webs.com/
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:45 PM   #6
crystalanne79
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree that you can judge how many you need based on how often you want to wash as well as how heavy your flow generally is. Your flow may get lighter when you switch to cloth and you will probably find that you change your pads about as often as you do disposibles. I have tons but could get by with 6 or so heavy, 3 or 4 light, 2 night, and a bunch of pantyliners. I like to wash often since I'm doing laundry anyways.

My favorite are the ones I make ofcourse mainly because I LOVE minkee and bamboo velour topped pads. I love all of the pretty colors and fabrics and I also find Zorb to be the very best pad soaker material out there. I can send you info on Zorb if it is something you may be interested in.

crystalanne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:04 PM   #7
devamajka
Registered Users
seller

My fave pads are Ama'z padz and Homemade Mama pads.
Ama'z padz are 2 part- you reuse the fleece part, and snap in a new "soaker" (or whatever it's called). I don't know if it's still this way, but when I bought the Ama'z padz, she was selling out almost as soon as her store stocked.

I love Homemade Mama pads, but haven't been able to find her store since it moved (or shut down?? I hope not!)
Old 10-07-2009, 03:03 PM   #8
thinkingahead
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a varied stash that I am totally happy with. I have 6 FB (fleece topped), 3 reg and 3 heavy, about 6 preemie prefolds (usually for overnight), and a couple of thinner organic cotton ones that snap (I use the liners on light days). I use the diva cup on the heavier days, and this all gets me most of the way through- I do an oxyclean soak on them alone, and then throw them in with the diapers.
thinkingahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:07 PM   #9
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeOfStars View Post
How many: Depends on how often you are washing. I have 12 total (some regular and some liners) but really don't ever use that many since I am doing diaper laundry every other day and throw them in with that wash. If you are not doing laundry that often, I would get more (like 16 maybe?).

Fave kind: My whole stash is Domino pads from HC. Bamboo velour outside, fleese under, snaps to secure them. She even dyes now (I dyed all mine).
You can throw it in with diaper laundry? Doesn't it stain your diapers?
Vivhop98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:09 PM   #10
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivhop98 View Post
You can throw it in with diaper laundry? Doesn't it stain your diapers?
You sure can! You can rinse your pads after use, or spray or soak them. Then toss it in with the diapers. It won't stain them. We did this until my son PL. Now my pads go in the washer with whatever I'm washing next. I rinse mine out immediately after use.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote