Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #101
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: HS Check in. Jan 14-Jan 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Laura~ View Post
Make sure to look up the law. The school district we live in wanted my son to be registered to receive speech but when I looked into it, registration wasn't actually required. Good luck.
I second this. Sometimes schools try to push you into registering because it helps them but most times it isn't necessary.

Hi croark! Glad your trip went well. I actually saw a post from you that I missed after posting that.

threeboysmom . I hope you have an awesome week and sorry things have been so rough there. I'm glad the evaluation went fairly well and hope you son gets the help he needs and that you end up loving the therapist. A good therapist can make all the difference.

Advertisement

jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #102
croark
Registered Users
seller

Quick check in! Lots to do today. Feeling stressed. Gotta buy groceries, 2 Girl Scout meetings, plus other random errands. My 6yo is being difficult on school work. Suddenly she can't do the things she's been doing just fine. I want to thump her between the eyes so I decided to take a bath (with my phone so I can get on DS) and eat an oatmeal creme pie instead.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #103
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Happy Monday All!

Mevans - I don't think you will have a problem selling the 1st edition. I was tempted to keep mine and get a new one. LOL.

Laura - Welcome along!

croak - LOL!! Funny. My sister used to LOVE Oatmeal Cream Pies. Brings back memories.

Jen - I'm really praying I like the grid format. I actually really like the format of the 1st manual and the K manual. We don't do our days by Mon-Friday. We just go to the next day no matter what the day of the week is. We rarely start "Monday" on Monday if that makes sense. I'm hoping this isn't going to trip me up and is why I've been on the fence about getting a new manual. But, I do want the other changes. I'm sure I'll figure out a way to make it work out just fine.

AFU - We did our Bible, phonics and a little math this morning. We watched our next Magic School Bus movie about tidal zones. So, all in all, a productive day so far. Now, I just need to get the kids to help me clean up. We may be writing a contract on a house tonight. We REALLY want this property (as an investment). We've been watching it for 2wks because they required 2wks for owner occupied contracts before opening it up to investors. We can't believe it, but it might still be available. It is perfect and in our own neighborhood. We are really praying we get this house and have been for 2wks now. Anyway, so that's the story around here.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 01-28-2013 at 01:51 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #104
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by croark View Post
Quick check in! Lots to do today. Feeling stressed. Gotta buy groceries, 2 Girl Scout meetings, plus other random errands. My 6yo is being difficult on school work. Suddenly she can't do the things she's been doing just fine. I want to thump her between the eyes so I decided to take a bath (with my phone so I can get on DS) and eat an oatmeal creme pie instead.
My kids call those cow pies. They know the correct name, of course, but insist they look like cow pies, so that is their name.

AFU, our local zoo is free on Mondays through February, and as we have never been, we went today. It is a larger zoo than I was expecting and we saw half of it, I think. It is cool enough I think we will actually get a membership. The older two are doing the rest of their schoolwork, as well
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #105
croark
Registered Users
seller

I don't usually have that kind of food in the house but we tend to get a lil junky on trips. So I bought a box of cow pies for road trip. Apparently the kids don't like them so I've eat the whole box by myself. I heart cow pies.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #106
3boys_mom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Laura~ View Post
Make sure to look up the law. The school district we live in wanted my son to be registered to receive speech but when I looked into it, registration wasn't actually required. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
I second this. Sometimes schools try to push you into registering because it helps them but most times it isn't necessary.

threeboysmom . I hope you have an awesome week and sorry things have been so rough there. I'm glad the evaluation went fairly well and hope you son gets the help he needs and that you end up loving the therapist. A good therapist can make all the difference.
Yes it is on my to-do list to look in to this whole registering for kindergarten thing. Thank you both for responding!

Today has gone better than the past two weeks. Mondays we always get a late start though. My oldest visits with his great grandmom on the weekends and doesn't get home until well after lunch. I try to get lessons with the others done before he gets home. But either way we are still left doing some things after dinner which drives me crazy.

Cody started his lessons on the letter C today. In isolation he can say the /k/ sound no problem. But if you ask him to say cat...it comes out /a/. He drops the /k/ and /t/ sound. That is the articulation issue the ST wants to work with him on. She is baffled as to why he can physically make the consonant sounds, but when he is speaking he drops so many sounds. Every thing comes out in vowel sounds. At the evaluation, she asked him to say his alphabet. It came out something like this: A, E, E, E, E, /e/, E, A, I, A, A, /e/, /e/, /e/, O, E, /oo/, /a/, /e/, E, /oo/, E, /uh/ /oo/, /e/, I, /en/ E. I tried putting it phonetically...hope I didn't confuse anybody. Hearing checks out normal, so they cannot give cause to him doing this. <-how I feel.

Hope everything works out in your favor, Heather!
Old 01-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #107
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wow, Lyn, that's wierd. Sounds tricky but I hope you get an awesome ST who knows just what they're doing. Keep us posted on how it's going. Even if nothing else sometimes it just helps to have somewhere to vent.

Heather--We don't go Monday-Friday that often either. And since the K program is set up with 6 days per unit you really couldn't go Mon-Fri anyway. But it doesn't have it listed by days of the week, it just says "Day 1, Day 2..." I just like having the overview of it because it helps keep me on track and sometimes the graph will jog my memory on what I need to be doing without reading a whole description. And if you turn to the next page there is extra descriptions of the things that need to be explained more, so it's not all grid.

As for us, we didn't do school yesterday. It's been in the upper 60's the last couple days here so I wanted the kids to have a chance to go out and play. I filed our taxes for the year and did some general housework junk. I let them play outside for a while again this morning but then had them come in to do some school. Keegan is not doing to hot this week and I'm starting to feel like he's never going to get it. *hangsheadinshame* I know that's not true, and that he will eventually get it, but it's frustrating. Moms with late readers...how do you cope with always feeling behind and getting over other peoples expectations?

On a more positive note, they are learning to tell time to the minute now and that's going well. Well, actually everything but reading is going fairly well.

DH is trying to learn sign language so he can communicate with his nephew. The kids know way more signs than him and are picking it up a lot better so they've been having a good time stumping him and also helping him learn. It's pretty cute to watch.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #108
3boys_mom
Registered Users

Yes! It is definitely weird. I was taken aback when the ST said she had no clue why he does this. I know I will have to be persistent to get him the help he obviously needs. I'm just now at the point where I am beating myself up internally, thinking how maybe I should have started this journey sooner. My older boys did this and seemingly grew out of it. I expected the same with Cody. :shrug:

It seems we are getting back in to our groove. And our lessons are running a little bit smoother. We are still finishing up AFTER dinner but I guess since we don't really start until AFTER lunch, what else can I expect?

Today I wanted to strangle MIL (not much different than any other day really!) and I'm sure most of you will agree with me. She started in on 'how will the boys ever have a girlfriend?' "I guess they will have to wait until college...IF they get that far." I was fuming and had to leave the room. The gall of this woman!!!!! This is the same woman who gloats on her Facebook about HER boys, and how WELL they are doing in PRIVATE school.....

jen~that is awesome about the sign language. I've often wanted to learn ASL. It is getting warmer here too. Hopefully in another day or so we can get outside to run off some pent up energy.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #109
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Afu.. We had a great day at Lego Land for Homeschool week.. so much fun. Has a class on physics that was neat.
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:34 PM   #110
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdtimemomma View Post
Afu.. We had a great day at Lego Land for Homeschool week.. so much fun. Has a class on physics that was neat.
Do they do special homeschool classes or was this something they do all the time? I'm guessing that you are talking about the one at Crown Center. It is on our to do list for our stay-cation the week before Easter. If there are classes we could sign up for, I'd like to do that.

AFU: Things are going reasonably smoothly although, DD2 lied to me today about doing her math. I asked her to show me her work and she brought out a lesson from two days ago. I called her on it and she went to her room to "find" today's work. She came out 30 minutes later with it done. Really, must we go through this?
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote