Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2016, 07:46 PM   #1
bbammu
Registered Users
seller

potty training at 17 months old

My dd is almost 17 months old. For the past few months, diaper changes have been a nightmare. She's coverless at home, but since she began removing her fitteds, I've put her in little underwear with padfolded flats. Enough to catch a pee.

Nowadays, she's figured out how to remove her night diaper even with the cover and just wants to run around naked. She especially likes to pee without her diaper, and right now it's almost always on the floor.

She's been partially EC'ed so she poops mostly on the toilet (I put her on once I see her poop face) and occasionally does her morning pee on the toilet with a potty ring. She has a potty she loves to sit on and make grunting noise as if she's pooping, but she never actually peed or pooped in it.

Now I'm wondering whether her padded underwear is getting in the way of fully toilet training and I should just have her in regular underwear. She prefers that and doesn't fight as much the few times we tried it.

Also, how do you potty train with carpet/rugs around the house?

Advertisement

bbammu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:50 PM   #2
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Re: potty training at 17 months old

I trained my kids with the book Toilet Training in Less than One Day. With what you're describing, you could easily accomplish that. You have to follow the method exactly, except I never had my kids keep their soiled underwear on for their practice runs. Too gross IMO.

With carpet, I blot and scrub as much as I can, and then schedule a professional carpet cleaning after training is complete
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:33 PM   #3
bbammu
Registered Users
seller

Here we are 3 weeks later and dd is in underwear only and down to 0-1 accident a day. Within the last week she began to say 'pee pee' before she needs to go, vs saying it after, and can wait until I take her to the toilet (the potty doesn't work). Or she will try to pull down her underwear.

We have been going out and about without diapers and it's been easier than I expected. She can wait every 1.5 to 2.5 hours to a bathroom.

Kids are amazing.

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2016, 07:57 AM   #4
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

I'm so glad you posted this. I have been wondering if I am crazy to think my 17 month old is ready for the potty. She goes into the bathroom and says her word for potty and tries to get her diaper off. I run to sit her on the potty but it's usually just after she has wet her diaper or either she sits in the potty but won't go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MamaChirpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:03 PM   #5
bbammu
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
I'm so glad you posted this. I have been wondering if I am crazy to think my 17 month old is ready for the potty. She goes into the bathroom and says her word for potty and tries to get her diaper off. I run to sit her on the potty but it's usually just after she has wet her diaper or either she sits in the potty but won't go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought I was crazy too, but dd is reliably dry now during the day at 17 months old! She says peepee and pees and poops in the toilet. She wears underwear now.

Sent from my SM-J5108 using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2016, 05:05 PM   #6
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbammu View Post
I thought I was crazy too, but dd is reliably dry now during the day at 17 months old! She says peepee and pees and poops in the toilet. She wears underwear now.

Wow!!! I think I will try it this weekend.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:18 PM   #7
bbammu
Registered Users
seller

But this is after 3 weeks of accidents. When she started pulling off her diaper around 16 months old, I busted out dd1's small underwear and put them on her with a padfolded flat in. Then removed the flat.

The first few days she peed everywhere...

Old 05-26-2016, 08:59 PM   #8
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbammu View Post
But this is after 3 weeks of accidents. When she started pulling off her diaper around 16 months old, I busted out dd1's small underwear and put them on her with a padfolded flat in. Then removed the flat.

The first few days she peed everywhere...

Ugh... I didn't think about having to wash everything again!
Old 08-29-2016, 04:44 PM   #9
w!ldandwooly
Registered Users

How's it going now? My 17 month old was down to one accident a week, but a trip to Asia then starting daycare has put him at 1-2 accidents a day again.
w!ldandwooly is offline   Reply With Quote