Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-28-2016, 06:57 AM   #1
JenLS
Registered Users
seller

Communicating potty needs

At what age is a child typically able to verbally communicate that they need to use the potty? My 28 month old does well if we put him on the potty every hour, but he doesn't even initiate telling us that he needs to go.

Advertisement

JenLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #2
linem24
Registered Users

Re: Communicating potty needs

A lot of things need to happen to meet this goal. They need to listen/be aware of their body, think about communicating the need, and then remember how to do so verbally--all skills they are probably actively working on. I would suggest keeping the communication part super simple, be consistent, and celebrate that word while they are on the potty! Something like pee (even if it's poo, don't ask them to distinguish yet), pot, something that it is easy for your LO to say. I am an even bigger fan of using signals--could be sign language but could just be the signal you make up for your family (be sure to share with caregivers/grandparents as needed). In sign language, potty is just making a fist and waving an arm right and left. We used with our first and worked great, but again, any signal that is easy for your LO is perfect. Using a hand gesture may get you a quicker success than a verbal cue--brain development timing thing. If you just want to communicate the potty need, try the signal first!
linem24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:40 PM   #3
ssimet
Registered Users
seller

Re: Communicating potty needs

We are having the same issue. He does well if we put him in the potty but will not till us he needs to go. I will start with signing, he usually does pretty well signing everything else.
ssimet is offline   Reply With Quote